Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My bypass was 12/16/13. I am SO GLAD I DID this, already... Without even looking, I'm 28 lbs down since the surgery, itself. I have a goal of 80 ounces of Fluid,and 80 ounces of Protein...and no surprise here, when I say, that is HARD... Today, I've committed to sipping but everytime I take a sip, I have the weirdest sensation. No pain, no discomfort but it's like a gurgle that isn't really a gurgle. SUCH A STRANGE sensation, and so difficult to explain. I'm not dehydrating, and I'm totally living on sugar free Popsicles... and shall we discuss the Protein? UGH! I'm SO over the shakes, and have begun eating edamame, which seems to be a nice fit with my new "Beloved" pouch.

I'm walking, and today I made myself get some baby food, the little 2.5 ounce jars, just to visualize the amount of food I should be aiming for, and I just want to say,

I never realized how much my life revolved around food until I did this. You would think the sleep apnea and obesity would've been a clue, lol..however, the ongoing thoughts of food are surprising to me.

So, I need friends, I need hints and tips... I'm in it to save my life, and reclaim myself, and overall I'm doing okay, but I know it will be so much easier with more friends and learning of others who have succeeded.

Teach me, Lead me, push me, I'm receptive.

I had my surgery on the 16th too. I am down 18 pounds. This is very hard. A mental battle. I am struggling a bit because I constantly feel like I am eating too much or not enough or the wrong thing. The thought of Protein shakes makes me want to vomit.

We should be friends :) We can encourage and help each other.

My bypass was 12/16/13. I am SO GLAD I DID this, already... Without even looking, I'm 28 lbs down since the surgery, itself. I have a goal of 80 ounces of Fluid,and 80 ounces of Protein...and no surprise here, when I say, that is HARD... Today, I've committed to sipping but everytime I take a sip, I have the weirdest sensation. No pain, no discomfort but it's like a gurgle that isn't really a gurgle. SUCH A STRANGE sensation, and so difficult to explain. I'm not dehydrating, and I'm totally living on sugar free Popsicles... and shall we discuss the Protein? UGH! I'm SO over the shakes, and have begun eating edamame, which seems to be a nice fit with my new "Beloved" pouch.

I'm walking, and today I made myself get some baby food, the little 2.5 ounce jars, just to visualize the amount of food I should be aiming for, and I just want to say,

I never realized how much my life revolved around food until I did this. You would think the sleep apnea and obesity would've been a clue, lol..however, the ongoing thoughts of food are surprising to me.

So, I need friends, I need hints and tips... I'm in it to save my life, and reclaim myself, and overall I'm doing okay, but I know it will be so much easier with more friends and learning of others who have succeeded.

Teach me, Lead me, push me, I'm receptive.

You seem to have great attitude! Hang in there because it DOES get easier! ! Once you learn all of the little quirks your body has in regards to food and drink, it becomes a breeze! Keep drinking and do what you have to to get the protein in. It is a necessity for losing weight! Best wishes and if you have any questions, keep asking! We are here to help. Feel free to private message as well!

Hi! This is a great place to make friends! It is a hard road getting started indeed! The best thing I've learned is this too shall pass when the rocky Patches come. Anytime you need any help or wanna vent there is all these amazing people here willing to share a wealth of knowledge and ideas. Congrats on your surgery and by this time in 1 year I think you will be so amazed how much life has changed. :)

Thanks Everyone. I'm so grateful for the responses. They are all right on time. Today, I do need some help. These last couple of days, I know I'm not getting in the Fluid or the Protein. Today is day 16 since my surgery, and today my body is not cooperating.

For example, I just tried:

1.The dreaded shake, two sips = No thanks.

2. Amy's Chili, one tip of the spoon = No thanks.

3. Vegetable Soup, one sip = No thanks.

4. Baby food (peaches), one tip of the spoon = No thanks.

Yesterday, I just flat out did not take the potassium pill or the Vitamins. I convinced myself that I could "skip" a day... Then the guilt set in and I woke up determined, so today, I got the GINORMOUS potassium pill down. (NOW, there HAS to be an alternative to that, Dear God, it's horrible.) And I got down the gross CVS Vitamins that make me shudder every time I take them.

I can't even begin to imagine chewing the Calcium, not sure if I'm supposed to be yet, or not. And I can't wait to go get my B-12 shot and will be calling tomorrow to find out when that is.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is desirable. I want to do this right, but my body has decided it is not interested. So somehow, I have got to at least get in the Protein and the Fluid.< /p>

Even, the sugar free "OutSource" Popsicle I was in love with, are now no longer desired.

Questions:

1. What can I do that gets the fluid and protein in?

2. Are there any alternatives to the gross potassium pill?

3. Are there any alternatives to the gross CVS vitamins?

4. How long will I feel like this?

The Good News: I still have a good attitude, I'm just worried about staying in front of dehydration or combating this ridiculous lack of energy...

I need tips...

I started making my shakes with sugar free almond milk and started pureeing fruit to put in it. I have a hard time with the shakes too. I also used low carb ice cream and turned them into milk shakes before the lactose intolerance set in. Maybe you can try that?

I crush my medication and mix it with sf chocolate pudding. It helps with the bitterness of the medications.

I drink a lot of crystal light and then switch to decaffeinated tea with spenda.

Also the vitamins... have you tried justtaking the Flinstones chewable. You'd have to take multiple but at least it's something. I take optisource bariatric Vitamins. I got them from Walgreens. Chewable. Citrus flavored. They don't gross me out... lol.

Check out the website 'The World According To Egg face'. She's got lots of great recipes for delicious Protein Shakes and other things to eat. You should be able to find something you like. Experiment. :-)

2 Flintstones complete chewable were recommended to me by my nutritionist. They definitely made that part easier. If u are able to swallow pills I get my calcium citrate at Walgreens. They have petite pills. I take 2 of those 2x a day. sugar free Popsicles are great and count as fluids. I know it's winter but I had a snow cone machine from my kiddo and had the sugar free flavoring and it helped also. sublingual B12 and they also have a prescription intranasal b12 spray.

The 1st part of my recovery was tedious just like you described. It was hard cause I didn't know how I would ever make it work. Nothing tasted good and nothing sounded good. Wasn't even hungry. Water with lemon and Decaf tea with Splenda were some of my Fluid choices. I also liked the sugar free hot chocolate.

Hope this helps. Keep your head up...this too shall pass

Christi: THANK YOU. I will be leaving this house, at o dark thirty to get some "new supplies". Just moving to the Flintstones will cheer me up... I will get the petite calcium citrate too... I think I'm going to get the B12 now, too. Had it not been the holidays, I would have had my next appt. sooner, so I'm going to just pick some of that up tomorrow. I can't EVEN tell you how much the sugar free hot chocolate idea cheered me up....

Thanks Terri, I love that site!

Dorian & Ajustice: Thank you, also, for the encouragement. I am grateful to have had the surgery, and I want to remember to be grateful, it helps so much to hear about others who get past this, "Don't drink, Don't eat, Don't want" phase....

How long until the slight nausea goes away?

And smack my hands, but will I ever eat again and not feel that strange "not quite gurgle" thing go off. I've never had stomach problems, so I can't really identify what that is, but it also grosses me out... but then I can, almost anything "grosses me out" today...

Stay with me new friends, I won't be this needy long... I don't have a lot of people around me who have done this, and I'll be running to the first monthly support meeting, but in the interim, just these little bits of encouragement and awesome ideas, motivates me.

I will be eating my crushed (and yes, SUPER GROSS) potassium in some sf pudding in the a.m. I will be going to get Flintstones, and petite Calcium and B12 and sf hot cocoa tomorrow...

Seriously, thanks guys... you got me through today... I'll toast you all with another sf Popsicle, as soon as my "beloved" a.k.a "new stomach" decides to permit such..

Ohhhhh, she is quite "bitchy" today, if you don't mind me saying. She wants N.O.T.H.I.N.G.....it's like the day of repulsion....

Looking forward to "this passing"...