Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lost control, pre-op visit tomorrow...

I am a little scared. Tomorrow is my final pre-op visit. I am supposed to have lost five pounds by then, but I think I'll have gained at least two (according to the scale this morning). I totally lost control last night to a carb craving and could not stop myself for anything. I just kept eating and eating, feeling guilty the whole time, but it was practically impossible to stop. I resisted for a long time, but by the time I broke down and had some waffles, I was crying because the craving was so strong. I'm scared that the doctor won't do the surgery if I haven't lost the weight because it means I'm unwilling or unable to follow doctor's orders. Has anyone run into this or something similar? I finally got my approval from the insurance company, but now I'm freaking out that I won't be approved by the doctor. Any recommendations or words of comfort? Thanks.

It's more important for YOU and YOUR surgery that you stick to the pre-op diet designed to shrink your liver and make the surgery easier. I know some of the Mexican surgeons won't operate on people over 300 pounds unless they lose 10% of their body weight but I never heard of losing 5 pounds just because.

I went to an On the Border tonight to eat some chicken tortilla Soup broth. I was good when the chips came out and didn't eat any. And then the soup came and I ate up some liquid real quick. Asked for more broth and ate it up real quick also. Now I was pouring the liquid in the bowl w/ the food to get the flavor and they had these tortilla strips on top of the soup. I ate just one and another and before you knew it I had eaten all the little strips. So my surgery is on Wed. I see the Dr tomorrow and I ate the equivilant of about 1 whole corn tortilla. So don't feel bad, man it's damn hard. Im kinda worried also, but im sure it will be ok.

Having surgery thursday. I went for sushi and ate a salmon roll. That's my cheat, but I guess it's not too bad. Or at least it could have been worse.

I know all to well. I'm getting Banded 3/27 One Week!!! My Doctor requires the 14 day Optifast liquid diet. 7 days down, 7 more to go. I must say it has been very difficult. I've been fighting off some really bad cravings. But I weighed 341lbs 3/12/07 I weighed myself today and was 328.4lbs. But I will not say I didn't sway a little, very, very little which didn't even involve chewing. When I get really bad Out-of-Control Cravings.

I found something that helps it, and calms it. I get a Teaspoon, dip it in some Peanut Butter (just a dip!!!) just the taste of the Peanut Butter settled me down. I'm not saying it was the right choice, I know it wasn't. But It was either I try something simple, or Go out on a Full Blown Bender. This is like Detoxing! I've read on most Forums most Doctors just require 5-7 days of a liquid diet. But mine must have his reasons. I know what I did was Cheating, but nothing to what I really wanted to do. I knew going into this it was going to be soooo hard, and I was right. I have 7 Days to go, and I will make it. So if I need that little Teaspoon of Peanut Butter 3 times a day to cope, then so be it. But I'm also Packing down the Water, and Riding my Exercise Bike 20mins everyday. And on Top of the Liquid diet, I stopped SMOKING!!! Welcome To My World. But we are all in this together, and we all understand what each other is going through. We just need to Help each other when at all Possible. I wish I was just able to pick up the phone and call somebody that really understands, than call a friend that can't possible understand never having a Severe Weight Problem!

Stay Strong, and fight up until your Surgery date. Don't under estimate your Doctor, they must have to know First hand how hard this is for all of us!

My Thoughts and Prayers are with you.

Rocko~~

I too jumped off the wagon this weekend. I had to do the pre-op thing for a month before surgery (3/28) so...I've already had a long time with the dieting. I've only lost 10 lbs although I've not cheated until this weekend. As for today...I hopped back on things and hopefully that will jumpstart the losing again, cause it really sucked to be only 10lbs gone for a week and a half.

I've got a tad over a week left....FINALLY! Patience isn't always my strong suit. :)

I must say that the pre-op diet was really hard. I was really excited when I started - like my new life is about to begin and all I have to do is stay on this easy liquid diet... right? Wrong. By day 7 I couldn't even stand to be with me, that's how grouchy I was! It's hard to do.

Post surgery is easier because you have to do it. Plus, your appetite is a little smaller from the 2+ days you go without consuming (between the day before surgery and the day of surgery). Then, when you start to see the results on the scale, it's really exciting and you want to keep going.

Hang in there, it does get better.

I had a slip yesterday, but I am back on board today. Can't wait! I am leaving for TJ tomorrow.

Marsene

I'm a Mexican patient and didn't have to loose or have any preop diet so I can't be of any help that way but don't be so hard on yourself. Your not perfect and you don't have your band yet. I'm sure your doc will still do your surgery and after surgery just know that the diet your on after surgery is very important for proper healing so make sure and try hard afterwards. My thoughts and prayers are with you but it really is a very simple surgery and I didn't have any downtime.

The band will help you all so much with those nasty cravings. I have sympathy for those of you who are struggling with pre-op diets. Look at it this way; your struggle through the next few days won't be fruitless. You are getting banded! The weight you lose now isn't going to just get gained back. It will be gone forever!!!

Good luck and remember to plan some fun distractions while you recover. (my fav is watching funny chick flicks) Others: good books, magazines, knitting, writing letters, etc.

I am scheduled for surgery this Friday, 3/23 and have had a hard time with the liquid diet as well. The first day was torture! I've had a really big problem with the slim fast! It's like liquid concrete to me. ;) I am trying to maintain a healthy caloric intake but I'm a little concerned about what I'm going to do for Protein during the post up liquid phase. I am even taking Benefiber! :speechles I know this will all be worth it though, when 6 months from now I'm at a healthy weight!

:clap2:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU BUT IF ITS HARD FOR YOU NOW JUST KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL BE IN 2 DIFFENT PHASES AFTER SURGERY . MAYBE YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE WILL POWER TO DO IT SO THINK TWICE ABOUT THE SURGERY . ITS NOT EASY BUT IT DOES PAYS OFF IN MANY ACCPETS .

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION P/M ME i HAVE NO PROBLEM .

I JUST HAD A 2ND FILL AND MY DOCTOR REQUIRES 10 DAYS LIQUID AFTER EVERY FILL . i AM DOING GOOD i HAVE CRAVINGS OVIOUSLY I AM HUMAN BUT YOU NEED TO MAKE YOU MIND NOT PLAY TRICKS ON YOU AND KEEP YOUR SELF REMEMBERING YOU MAIN GOAL . BEING HEALTHY AND NOT BEING FAT ANYMORE!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU !!

CLAU