Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

So my insurance denied my surgery, and will not budge. My husbands work is self insured and do not care about people needing elective procedures. I can not afford to pay for RNY surgery here in the US. My payments would be like 700$ a month. No way. So I started researching Mexico for the surgery. I am looking for people who have gone to Mexico for your procedure and I am looking to hear stories from start to finish, good or bad. Also I am really confused on how this all works since I wouldn't see the doctor beforehand. Also, how does financing work? I have no money in a savings. Do people get loans for these kinds of things? Family is not an option for helping me out. Please someone help me out and give me a direction to start in.

Some sites are saying they handle everything for you from start to finish. But I don't trust anything like that online.

Help please!!

I too am looking into Mexico so I don't have much insight to share with you on that just yet. Here in Texas the self pay cost is too much for me. I wouldn't trust financing if your credit is not good. I have read some horror stories on these forums and on the internet about certain companies that do poor credit financing. If you have good credit, I recommend going through a bank for a loan.

Best of luck!

One place I contacted (dr. Alvarez's office) mentioned that I could do a payment plan, but it all must be paid by the time of surgery.

There are quite a few lending institutions that support surgeries in Mexico. Go onto the surgeons websites and they usually have them listed there. I used Dr Joya in 2011 and went through Medicard (Canadian) with no issues at all.

I just read today that the doctor you choose out of country should be JCI Accredited, that means they are up to standard with the US doctors. I am trying to find one in Mexico or abroad, does anyone know one. I, too, would like to go abroad, but am very nervous about this.

Most surgeons in Mexico are more qualified than American surgeons. If you are looking to get a sleeve, the best surgeon is Dr Guillermo Alvarez. Is clinic is in Piedras Negras, Mexico. His clinic is called Endobariatric. He has tons of YouTube videos about everything you could possibly want to know about the sleeve.

If you have questions about anything, he answers all emails and messages. He will also address any concerns in his talk show

Every Monday evening, he does a one hour talk show on www.ifmradio.mx. It's in English and his show is called Obesity Chat.

Here are his links:

www.endobariatric.com

https://www.facebook.com/Endobariatric

https://www.facebook.com/sleevedoctor

He is very approachable and friendly.

Good luck!!!

There are quite a few lending institutions that support surgeries in Mexico. Go onto the surgeons websites and they usually have them listed there. I used Dr Joya in 2011 and went through Medicard (Canadian) with no issues at all.

Hi heidivonh I used Dr. Joya too. How much weight have you lost? Did your weight come off quickly? I find my weight is coming off very slow...I'm just wondering if it's just me.

I used Mexico bariatrics, look them up great coordinator that can answer questions. I'm going to Tijuana April 6 Dr. Lopez. Different ways to pay. Hope to see you all at the Marriott!

My wife and I used alighterme.com and while websites can look a little hinky, they do take great care of you from start to finish. Really a great deal for the price for sure. probably better care than what I would have gotten here without the 6 month pre-surgery bunk.

I responded on another topic a while ago, so sorry if this is a repeat!

I went with Dr. Fernando Garcia Govea. Tijuanabariatrics.com for my revision.

He was a genius with a complicated procedure.

Hospital florence Oasis was super nice, clean, quiet. The staff was PHENOMENAL.

I had better care than I had in the USA with my first surgery.

My revision was $7500. It was on the high end, but after researching I picked him. He has had no fatalities, a much lower than average complications, he only does a maximum of 5 surgeries a day (some doctors do 15!), and the anesthesiologist is a cardiologist as well. He also works out of a hospital, not a clinic.

If you're interested I'll give you my coordinator's email. She took very good care of me.

Thank you so much for replying to me. Did you travel by yourself? Did you feel safe? Can I ask you how long it realistically took you to feel good enough to go back to work?

Thanks so much for all your help.

I too went through Ready4achange..with Dr.Garcia Gorvea... He was marvelous...I went alone from Canada.... my thought was i would only lose time and travel money if i didnt feel comfortable...of course i stayed! You meet other people while you are there...so dont worry about that... rooms are clean..snd safe...i have had no problems with my RNY surgery...7 weeks out and doing ok...wish i had more support around here...northern ALberta Canada...so yes i travelled a long ways! My name is Yvette Desmarais if u wish to FB add me...

I always felt safe...even walking up to the mall by myself... i didnt have a job to return to...i also stayed in San Diego for 2 more days bf travelling home..it was difficult...so im glad i did stay...i should have stayed a min of one more day..but 2 or 3 would have been nicer... you could go back to work pretty much immediately....that is after 1 week..depends on what you do..but you may want to take 2 weeks off...