Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has this happened to you?

Hi, Just need some feedback. A couple of times a week I eat a small amount, and I don't feel full, yet immediately afterwards my stomach aches for up to an hour later. Does this happen to other people? I don't feel I have overeaten, having had half to one cup of food. But I get a huge stomach ache afterwards. What Can I do yo avoid this? Is this stretching my upper stomach? Will this split my band sutures? Worried. Susannah

You have been banded what 6 weeks? I don't think your sutures can come undone from eating. What are you eating? Are you eating slow enough? Are you chewing to goo? Tell us more so we can help you better. My first guess would be that maybe something is sticking slightly, not enough to slime or PB just be really uncomfortable.

This sounds like what happens when I eat too fast and don't chew enough. But it usually takes a while before the pain starts, like 20 minutes.

When you say your stomach..do you mean your abdomen? or your 'banded zone' which usually feels more like your sternum/chest area? I was thinking what you describe kind of sounds like gas bloat pain if it is abdominal. I get that if I just eat a little on an empty stomach. I blow up like a balloon sometimes and it is so painful! My belly is all stretched out and I couldn't suck in my gut if I tried. It doesn't seem to matter what the food is, but rather how empty my stomach is at the time. Could that be what you're feeling?

Not in response to eating I havent - other than obvious something is stuck pain.

But three or four times since I've been banded I've slept badly, and then woken with a stomach ache that's lasted a day or two. Like the pain in your stomach as it clenches hard just before you vomit, but without nausea. Its been annoying, I feel crap today but get on with things kind of pain except for one afternoon, I really had to go and have a lie down. Then it goes away and I'm fine.

Hi All, Thanks for the replies. What I mean is my abdomen, my gut area below. I don't mean in my chest. Susannah

susannah, we all have different feeling of full level. I would just try and remember to eat slowly so you don't PB. If you still get a belly ache I would cut your intake down to 1/2cup. That should do the trick. Good luck.

Hi Julie, Thanks. I have been only eating a half cup of food, and eating slowly but I still often get a tummy ache. Can't figure out why. I am not overeating. It is a mystery.Susannah

Hi, After I got my first fill I only have a half cup. Before I sometimes had one cup. The first fill shouldn't make you that restricted though. Does anybody believe that the band can be tighter when you have your period? Have heard that, but I can't work out how they are related to be honest. Susannah

Hi Julie, I wonder why that could be the case? They are two separate parts of the anatomy. Anybody know why this could be the case? Susannah

Your period makes all the tissue in your body swell... your stomache tissue has a band wrapped around it.

If the tissue get's bigger inside the band - it feels tighter. The more you swell, the tighter you get.

The joys of being a girl. Anything that makes you puff up will affect your band.

Renebean, Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise that was the case. Did they tell you that before you were banded? Susannah