Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved for Surgery - Now I'm Freaking Out

I was approved for surgery and had my pre-surgery visit this morning. Surgery is scheduled for 11/25. This just got real and I'm starting to get real scared. I am the mother of a 3 and a 5 year old. And my husband is in school so I am the primary breadwinner. I am so scared of complications or, God forbid, death. I really need this to go as smoothly as possible as I will need to go back to work in 2 weeks. I am going to a great surgeon with great stats, but I can't help but feel scared. Please help.

LynRN... Congrats on be approved and you already have a date. WOW, November 25. I am so jealous. I am one of those that insurance needs you to jump through hoops and wait 6 months. I am in my second month, with a lot of thinking and freaking out to do. I wish mine was just around the corner so I can get this started. I would think your thoughts are so normal. Just look how healthy you are going to be for your young children. You will be able to play with them and do things with them instead of making excuses or saying your tired.. blah blah blah. This will be great for them too! They will have a happy healthy mommy. Congrats again.

If you weren't a bit concerned about what you're going to do, I would be worried you didn't know what you are letting yourself in for.

But you've done your homework and got yourself a great surgeon. You know the risks and what might happen.

For the majority of us, we get through the surgery with the usual bumps in the road - gas pains, reaction to anaesthetic that passes, sore incisions, find it hard to lie down, need to take acid inhibitors, struggling to get liquids, Protein in and so on.

Many people sail through the surgery, others get one or more of the previous issues in combo. The first two weeks are the worst but things improve. Some people suffer serious things like a leak or a stricture (or other complications from surgery) but, thankfully, those appear to be rare.

So we all balance what might happen with what we hope for from the surgery. For me, it was better health, a longer life, to get rid of my comorbidities as a result of losing weight. I felt I had run out of options so, despite my fear, I was more afraid of what might happen to me in the long term....

Despite the bumps in the road, I have not one regret. The sleeve has delivered everything I hoped for and many other good things I couldn't even imagine.

So go into your surgery with a bit of fear, that's natural, this is major surgery after all. But balance it with hope that you are doing something good that will address the reasons why you are having this surgery in the first place.

Hang in there, you are not alone, just keep posting and you will get the support and reassurance to get through. Very best of luck!!!!

I am so afraid of the unknown and the potential complications. I just really need this to go well.

I was approved for surgery and had my pre-surgery visit this morning. Surgery is scheduled for 11/25. This just got real and I'm starting to get real scared. I am the mother of a 3 and a 5 year old. And my husband is in school so I am the primary breadwinner. I am so scared of complications or' date=' God forbid, death. I really need this to go as smoothly as possible as I will need to go back to work in 2 weeks. I am going to a great surgeon with great stats, but I can't help but feel scared. Please help.[/quote']

I'm in the same boat! It's gonna be okay, you have to have a little faith. Hope you tell me that when get my insurance approval. Ims set for nov 19 but still tentative.

I was at that stage about 3 weeks ago. Now I had my PATs on Monday and am scheduled for surgery 10/23. Going through my Pre Admission Tests helped A LOT. The unknowns are the worst, I agree but now I am really excited!

Are you an RN? Me too, and I think it makes it harder. I work SICU so instead of seeing the many surgeries that go well, I see the complications. Good news is of all the weight loss surgeries I've seen that have gone badly wrong it has been because of non compliance, going home and eating a whole chicken or Big Mac are just two I remember. I have no illusions that this is an easy answer for any of us, but I do think it's an excellent opportunity to reset the clock and get control of our eating and health once and for all. Just like anything else we have to take personal responsibility for our recovery and results.

I was afraid. Not sure I would get approved and also afraid of complication. I am 9 days post op. went back to work after 6 days( only 5 hours) I am resting knowing my limit getting all Protein Vitamins and walking. Go in with confidence and know this shall pass. I had never had any kind o surgery. I'm 47. I was afraid. Never let fear stop you. Do research follow Instructions on recovery to a t. I jut went for a walk with my 11 year old and after 9 days I feel great. Yes it isn't easy ( major gas, insicion pain!) bur think I expected the worse and it is ok. Good luck.

Are you an RN? Me too' date=' and I think it makes it harder. I work SICU so instead of seeing the many surgeries that go well, I see the complications. Good news is of all the weight loss surgeries I've seen that have gone badly wrong it has been because of non compliance, going home and eating a whole chicken or Big Mac are just two I remember. I have no illusions that this is an easy answer for any of us, but I do think it's an excellent opportunity to reset the clock and get control of our eating and health once and for all. Just like anything else we have to take personal responsibility for our recovery and results.

[/quote']

I am an RN, and I've been a little bit of a hypochondriac since nursing school. Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous. My surgeon is excellent but one of my coworkers did have a leak. I'm pretty sure it was not his fault, though. In 460 surgeries, he has only had about 4 leaks, which is about half the national average. So I know that he is an excellent surgeon. But I'm still pretty anxious. He actually chuckled about it at my visit today and told me I was going to need some Ativan day of surgery. Its just that my whole family depends on me, so I just want it to be okay.

What happens when you get a leak ?

Are you asking what the process for recovery is of that happens?

My surgeon said that you get a subclavian I and get nutrition via the I've instead of the stomach in order to let it heal

My surgeon said that you get a subclavian I and get nutrition via the I've instead of the stomach in order to let it heal
oops iv line, sooty my first post

Hang in there one and all. I was sleeved in May. I have lost 102 as of this week. I am a RN and took 8 weeks off work so I would be 100% when I went back to work. Have had no real problems since the surgery . Lots of complements from the people I work with. I only told them just before I left for the procedure. Mind you I was still having small doubts about this up to the point they where putting the mask on my face. In recovery room I woke up and thought well to late now! Glad I have done this it is a tool I can live with. Go for it!