Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preopper question about Metformin - did you keep taking it?

Hi.

I am on Metformin for my PCOS and metabolic syndrome. I'd really like to get off that and my very low dose of Levothyroxine after surgery.

Was wondering if anyone out there was on either of these meds prior to surgery, then went off. I'd like to get down to zero prescriptions if possible.

Thanks!

Hello. I took have PCOS. i had my surgery almost 2 months ago, august 21st, to be exact. the very next day after my surgery, which was the day i got discharged from the hospital, they told me to stop taking my metformin and spironolactone. so yes, they will have you stop taking those meds. Since i do have PCOS, my weight loss has been slow so by my own decision i am starting to slowly go back on metformin, but a lower dose, to see if it will help with my weight loss. my dr. did not tell me to do this, this is by my own choice. i just want to see if it helps or not!

my husband was on it and was off it within 2-3 DAYS (not weeks as i first posted) post-surgery. I was on 150 levo, and 2.5 months later, I'm on 100 now. Many, many people come off metformin post surgery. Many but not all people seem to reduce levo doses.

If you have metabolic syndrome, the surgery is the best thing for you. My husband is off BP meds, off metformin, off cholesterol meds, trigylcerides for both of us are normal, and since we don't eat carbs, insulin resistance is under control. You are going to LOVE it. :)

Edited by gamergirl

Hi. I am on Metformin for my PCOS and metabolic syndrome. I'd really like to get off that and my very low dose of Levothyroxine after surgery. Was wondering if anyone out there was on either of these meds prior to surgery' date=' then went off. I'd like to get down to zero prescriptions if possible. Thanks![/quote']

I am a type 2 diabetic, I'm no longer on insulin or metformin, it happened the next day.

oops

Edited by gamergirl

Thanks guys. Appreciate the quick responses.

I've got the trifecta...PCOS, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance. I'm hoping I caught this in time. I'm on a very low dose of levothyroxine - doc and I wanted to try it out to see if it helped w/ my fatigue and maybe help me lose some weight. It didn't work. My TSH levels were below 5 off the med and less than 1 when on. I think I'll be able to quit that.

Gamergirl - my doc said the same thing about VSG for my particular issues. I was happy to hear that.

I was on it for PCOS. As soon as I decided to go ahead with the surgery, I stopped taking it. I wanted to see what my body would do naturally. So, about 2 months before I went from 1700mg a day to nothing.

As it transpires and despite being on a contraceptive pill which prevents periods (mine were horrendous), I am 3 weeks out and spontaneously had a period -despite the pill!

Although I've only* lost 20lbs since surgery (3.5 weeks), I can already identify a difference. Maybe it's the pill, maybe it isn't. Either way.. There is a definite improvement!

*I expected an improvement when I'd lost more weight - not at such an early stage!

My energy levels are a bit low though.. That, I put down to the limited nutrition though...

There is a whole history here on VST. Here is a result from a site search for the keyword Metformin:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

I stopped taking it a day before surgery. Haven't taken it since and my doctor agreed that I stop for now.

I stopped taking Metformin the day before surgery and haven't taken it since. I'm one year out. I do still take my spironolactone. I could stop taking it and may after my next dr visit.

The next day of surgery no Metformin (was 1,000mg daily) :)

I'm prescribed 1500mg/day. I was advised to stop it a week before the surgery, but only for the surgery. I chose, without doc's recommendation not to restart it after surgery, simply because nausea is one of the side effects, and when I started a new antidepressant that also had nausea as a side effect, I would find myself going through some pretty serious gagging while I got used to the new med (this lasted weeks!). Either med alone, I have no problem with. I mentioned it to my surgeon when we were discussing the nausea I was experiencing post surgery, and she said that if I could manage it, she would prefer I continue to take the metformin, as it can help support consistent weight loss. I haven't restarted it yet. I want to talk to my pcp about it first, but I'm expecting to begin taking it again (along with keeping anti nausea meds on hand to keep that under control). She may decide not to advise me to start taking it again, i don't know. I am having a significant amount of menstrual cycle weirdness despite birth control pills, though, so who knows what she might suggest. Not being able to figure out when you might start, no matter where you are in your pack is just ridiculous! Altogether now... "Hormones Suck!"

Good luck! This is yet another example of a question where everyone and every doctor seems to have a different answer!

I stopped taking it too…. I was advised to stop taking it preop so I never started again. I have to go see my gynecologist next week so, I guess that's one of the questions I should be asking. I'm also not on my birth control pills – that was another thing they want to meet a stop preop i'm not sure if that will affect any weight gain or Water retention or anything of that nature… I'm on a relatively low dose one. But I can definitely feel the sis coming on and feeling them burst. It's not as bad or I should say frequent when I'm on my meds.

What are y'all's experience with them?

I haven't had my surgery yet, and but my doc said I may be able to stop metformin, I take a very low dose, because the weight loss may help with my PCOS as fat cells mess up estrogen levels. I got at 3, 6, 9 months post op to get hormones and thyroid levels checked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I took it for PCOS not diabetes. I stopped the day before surgery and i am still not taking it. With our post op diet it can cause low blood sugar. If you have diabetes I would have a discussion with my pcp.