Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coloring My Hair Post Surgery

Is there any harm to coloring my hair? I was sleeved 7\31\13. Will it promote or enhance the probability of Hair loss? I have started with hair shedding. At this time it is not coming out in clumps. I've gotten my required Protein, Water, and Vitamins in since the beginning. In addition, I've also been taking fish oil. So, has anyone gotten their hair colored post surgery?

Sometimes if you damage your hair a bit by coloring it, it can look a bit thicker. (just don't damage it to the point of breakage!) When my hypothyroidism was in full swing, I had horrible hairloss.. even WORSE than my post surgery hairloss and to make matters worse, I have baby fine, limp, oily hair. Having it colored roughed up my hair just enough to help add some fullness and make it appear that I had more than I actually did.

Hairloss post surgery in most cases has NOTHING to do with your diet or supplements.. I'm just like you, I am compliant with my Vitamins, I ALWAYS get my Protein and I also take a fish oil supplement but at about four months out my hairloss started and is now tapering off....If it's gonna come out, it's GONNA COME OUT no matter if you wash your hair, brush your hair or color your hair... it's just gonna happen, so why not do the best you can with what you have left and try to make it look as great as possible?

I've colored my hair every 6 weeks since my surgery. Yes, I lost some hair, but the coloring had nothing to do within. I did biotin.. (And still do because my nails are awesome now), and Vitamins and gobs of Protein and my hair stil came out. It's going to happen and no one truly knows why or how to prevent it.

Anyway.. Color to your hearts content.. I did and you can see on my before pic I have lots of hair... And I can say I still do

I agree with Ms.AntiBand, I also colored mine every 6 weeks. I took biotine, not sure if it helped at all cause yes I did lose a lot of hair, but I think it would have happened regardless of coloring. It wasn't breaking but coming out by the roots.

Thanks to all of you. I forgot that I also take Biotin. I'm going full steam ahead and getting my hair colored. My hair needs to look good to match my new healthier and thinner look.

Coloring will not hurt your hair....its coming out from the inside...your coloring whats already out....my hairloss was heaviest from 3 to 5 months out......im 6 mo now and its slowed down alot