Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Affordable Care Act

Has anyone found an insurance plan under the Affordable Care Act that provides coverage for Lap-Band surgery?

I don't think the website or sign up site is up and running so not sure if anyone can provide info.. Not even the President.. (I am not a racists for everyone's information) but I don't like the Obamacare or the President's policies.. so don't come on here and try your racists BS on me... I am a self employed woman in my 60's who has worked hard for everything I have,, don't want the Govt in my health business.. They obviously can't run a lemonade stand correctly... I am in hopes the so called Affordable Care Ac does something besides make our health care unaffordable to the people who actually work and pay taxes... I somehow doubt it but hey miracles do happen...I think Weight loss surgeries will be at risk..All I know is my insurance has gone up, my friends insurance has gone up and my kids have gone up...

Has anyone found an insurance plan under the Affordable Care Act that provides coverage for Lap-Band surgery?

Hi JMJ, looks like you unwittingly stepped on to a minefield. Sorry I don't have any information for you but maybe some one else will. I hope you find insurance to meet all your healthcare needs. Best wishes!

The president doesn't have to worry about obamacare since he is exempt from it. Come to think of it congress is exempt from it too. But they are more than happy to shove it up our ass.

It really depends on your state. You need to check your state health insurance marketplace to see if there are plans that cover weight loss surgery. Certain states offer them and certain states offer them at a premium. I attempted to check pricing in NY last week but had too many technical issues. I found some more info on this topic online:

Summary of Coverage

Twenty-two states chose benchmark plans that cover bariatric surgery:

• Arizona, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming

Five states chose benchmark plans that cover weight loss programs:

• California, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico

Twenty-eight states chose benchmark plans that cover neither bariatric surgery nor weight loss programs:

• Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin

One state covers weight loss programs but not bariatric surgery:

• District of Columbia

It really depends on your state. You need to check your state health insurance marketplace to see if there are plans that cover weight loss surgery. Certain states offer them and certain states offer them at a premium. I attempted to check pricing in NY last week but had too many technical issues. I found some more info on this topic online:

Summary of Coverage

Twenty-two states chose benchmark plans that cover bariatric surgery:

• Arizona, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming

Five states chose benchmark plans that cover weight loss programs:

• California, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico

Twenty-eight states chose benchmark plans that cover neither bariatric surgery nor weight loss programs:

• Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin

One state covers weight loss programs but not bariatric surgery:

• District of Columbia

Thank you Alex! This is great info!

Now the next big questions is: How much is the deductible? I've been hearing it's thousands of dollars per person. Guess we'll have to wait till that Canadian IT outfit fixes the website?

friends of mine got hit with a double premium and 6300 deductible... so who knows.. I am so happy I decided to get my lapband before all of this S hits the fan...

Good to see New Mexico on the list. I'm sure the deductibles will be thousands of dollars per person. The deductibles will probably be more than going to Mexico to get it done. That sucks!!!! Not, that I have anything against Mexico, for I started investigating there first, before I found out that my insurance did cover it, however, it's the after care that many Bariatric doctors here in the states won't cover you.

Thanks for the input Alex.

You can be sure that for the vast majority of people, the coverage/services will be reduced (or unavailable) and the costs significantly more under the ACA.

Hi JMJ, looks like you unwittingly stepped on to a minefield. Sorry I don't have any information for you but maybe some one else will. I hope you find insurance to meet all your healthcare needs. Best wishes!

She definitely did!!! LOL

People can't even ask a question around here without their personal rants getting in the way.

JMJ- Hope their is coverage in your area.

Thanks for the information, Alex! Unfortunately, I am in Florida-looks like we have no coverage in this state.