Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was excited not I'm Scared!!

Good Morning,

My name is Jeanette, I am 30 year old, 5'4 and 240 lbs. I was so excited this morning because I got my surgery date set for Nov 7th! Now I am scared...I came on to start posting and another group caught my eye. I went in to Lap Band Complications and all these people are talking about erosion and dilated esophagus, ,revisions,slippage and removal....Seriously, this stuff happens? I want the lap band to help aid in my weight loss. I need to get healthy for myself and my children. I have tried everything to help but nothing. So I looked up lap band and it seems like a great tool in weight loss but now Im reading all those posts I am second guessing my decision. Is it common to have to remove your lap band because of these things? I am just really scared now, sorry guys... :(

If you go to a forum where people have had problems with the band, that's what you will find. If you go to a forum titled Dodgerhaters.com you'll find a lot of people who hate the Dodgers.

Of course some people have not found success with the band. Some of them have complications due to no fault of their own and many have problems because they couldn't control their appetites and continued to eat too much food. The band goes around your stomach, not your head. The number of complications pale in comparison to the folks who have had success with the band. The number of forum members on this site is in the multi thousands and the amount of complications are in the low hundreds. You have a small chance the band won't work for you.

tmf

Hi Jeanette,

Researching the good the bad and the ugly of any decisions is always a smart move. While yes these things can happen, they are complications that most of the time can be avoided by proper band practice! (pardon the pun)

Following the rules that your surgeon gives you and practicing good eating mechanics and food choices will all help to prevent things like esophageal dilation, or pouch dilation. As you search for your "green zone" for optimal weight loss and satiety as you begin to have fills, making sure that you are never too tight, where you are having issues swallowing liquids or having reflux will also help to ensure that you do not experience band erosion.

There is a down side to everything, but with proper usage, open honest communication between you and your surgeon, and adherence to guidelines provided to you the odds of you experiencing any of these complications is minimized.

One step at a time. Keep a good outlook and don't let fear dictate your actions for you. Read, research, and then decide what is best for you.

If you are having serious doubts, my advice is to schedule a session with your surgeon and compile a good list of questions and have them answered before your surgery date.

Best of luck to you!

Of course complications happen with the band, it can happen with ANY weight loss surgery that you get. Those are the RISKS you take when you undergo lap band surgery.

Do they happen to everyone? NO, however there are precautions to take and you may need to go to Allergan's website for a complete list of contraindications and warnings to make sure you are a candidate for the lap band, everyone's body cannot tolerate a tight band around their stomach and pressure on their esophagus for years, but many people can. Many people go through pre op testing to make sure they are a candidate for the band.

Also, make sure you research your surgeon, I would feel more comfortable if my surgeon had banded over 600-1000 people, and is very experienced with aftercare that the band requires, those are your FIRST defense against complications with the band, don't worry too much about everyone else issues, because they can be from not following up with aftercare, or diagnostic testing, to keeping the band too tight, etc.

What you need to focus on if are you in great hands with your surgeon, and learning about how to live with your band.

Good luck!

Thanks ladies! My surgeon is great and I spoke with his nurse, she was also successful on lap band she helped put me at ease.

Na Na I also read your post about tips and tricks for Lap band...I think I found the best place for support, right here! Thanks.

I went through the same thing. But then I thought if I do nothing I'm At risk for some other health complications. So I can fight or just roll over and kill myself slowly.i decided to get banded and it had been the best decision I ever made regarding my health. I like that if god forbid it is reversible . My best friend compared it to show shopping ... If I didn't like it I can return it :) my surgeon has also been banded as well as people on his tr. they made me feel comfortable from my initial visit. Do your research ask your questions make an informed decision :)that's what I did and wish I did it at 28 not 38 but can't go back only forward. I find this site very helpful as I live this lifestyle I come here to read and see how others are doing but ultimately know the decisions to make this work is mind. The band is a great tool it has even changed how I think about food!! Its wonderful!!!

Good luck on whatever u decide and we are here for u!

Most of us go through this. I was sold on it and got a date and started reading the OH band bashing. Way I see it is the ones who are struggling whether the issues are legit or not are going to scream the loudest. For every successful bander there are 6 or more screaming it doesn't work and it's bad for you. Mean while there are plenty of successful people who just too busy enjoying their new lives and not posting much.

I agree with Lisa that is good to hear about the good, bad and ugly but just remember this is an individual experience/journey and no two people are the same. Again. legitimate events could occur as with any type surgical procedure but your personal dedication to the process is a huge key in defining success.

Most of us go through this. I was sold on it and got a date and started reading the OH band bashing. Way I see it is the ones who are struggling whether the issues are legit or not are going to scream the loudest. For every successful bander there are 6 or more screaming it doesn't work and it's bad for you. Mean while there are plenty of successful people who just too busy enjoying their new lives and not posting much. I agree with Lisa that is good to hear about the good' date=' bad and ugly but just remember this is an individual experience/journey and no two people are the same. Again. legitimate events could occur as with any type surgical procedure but your personal dedication to the process is a huge key in defining success.[/quote']

Well said Jim. Those of is who want to be successful in this won't post much because we'll be enjoying our lives. I know that will be true for me.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I just had my surgery this Tuesday and despite doing the research on everything for the surgery prior to making a decision, I still had a major anxiety attack the day before my surgery and started reading more of the complications and really letting it get to me.

I did get an actual anxiety prescription the day before just so I could be well rested and relaxed going in which really helped.

What I can say is that I'm doing good, although I've picked up a cold and a bacteria infection unrelated to surgery so immune system is clearly lower the week of the surgery. Probably pushed too hard as I went back to work Thursday after a Tuesday surgery which was a mistake.

My dad had the surgery 10yrs ago and has lost 150lbs and is likely only with us into his late 60s as a result of this surgery which prompted me as well.

I don't feel very hungry, so unlike diets it's nicer. The stomach pain and nausea will be nice to recover from in a week or so, but I am feeling up beat and have dropped 10lbs just prepping for the surgery and since so there is early results.

Good luck and stay calm!

It's very normal to have second thoughts and think " oh maybe I can try this on my own again " but for me I weighed the pros and cons. With the PROS winning hands down. If u make this commitment it's important u are disciplined and follow instructions from ur surgeon.

I too was 240 pounds 5' 4 " ish and 4 mos later down over 65 pounds and enjoying life again !

I came into this knowing it was not going to be easy and its just a tool. Couldn't be happier. No more sleep apnea, blood pressure back to normal and currently off my R/A meds.

Goodluck to u! And remember there is risks and failures to everything we do.

Thanks ladies! My surgeon is great and I spoke with his nurse' date=' she was also successful on lap band she helped put me at ease. Na Na I also read your post about tips and tricks for Lap band...I think I found the best place for support, right here! Thanks.[/quote']

A surgeon once said to my husband about our then 2 year old son having major surgery, you can get killed crossing the street. My son is 38 now.

I never found this site until after getting the band. I don't think of what can go wrong ever. November 7 is a super date, my 43 rd anniversary. Good luck!!