Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Supper Mentality??

I have my surgery in less than two weeks. I do not have to do a pre-op diet - Dr. Spivak just said to not gain any weight before surgery.

But I have the strangest last meal thinking. I have been thinking about all the things I want to eat before my surgery. Almost like I used to do on Sunday before I started a new diet.

For all of you already banded - did you have the same urge?

Oh Yeah! I was convinced that I needed to have a "last meal" at all my favorite places. Including two buffets, Red Robin and an Pasta place. I ate myself sick more then once.

What I've learned since is that I can still eat at most of my favorite places. I just eat less and yeah there are a few things I can't eat, and while I miss them, overall it's so worth it.

In fact, I've sat on some of those places, watching the food going by and was amazed that people eat that much. Even though I know I used to. It's not nearly as appealing a thought as it was before surgery.

I know I sure did! I did have to do the pre-op diet and since I was banded on Valentine's Day, my DH took me for steak and lobster for my "last meal". And admittedly, before that, I did spend a lot of days going "I'll never get to eat ____ (fill in the blank) again" and ate it.

I did have the same urge but I resisted. I was determined to start my new lifestyle and I figured there was no time better than the present. Sometimes I wish I would have pigged out for my last time. :heh:

I have my surgery in less than two weeks. I do not have to do a pre-op diet - Dr. Spivak just said to not gain any weight before surgery.

Hi Hazelbunny - welcome!

Dr. Spivak didn't say anything to me about a pre-op diet either, but his PA said to go on a low-carb, low-fat diet until my surgery date (Apr 4)....but then in the next breath she said 'but nobody does it anyway'... :) So, can I ask you what your BMI or present weight is ...and do you have any co-morbidities?? I sure as heck don't want to have to go on a low-carb, low-fat diet (read: turkey turkey and more turkey) if I don't have to!

My BMI is high - 54%. According to Dr. Spivak I am in excellent health despite my weight. blood pressure 110/60 and I don't have any of the fat diseases - diabetes, heart disease, etc. I also have been working out for the last year 5 times a week and have lost 35 lbs.

His PA didn't say anything about any kind of diet - she just specifically said not to gain any weight and maintain my current weight loss up to my surgery.

Oh yes, I definitely had the Last Supper mentality! I made sure to hit each and every one of my favorite restaurants in the two weeks before I had to start my pre-op diet. I had my Mom make her scrumptious chicken and Dumplings one last time - I am pretty sure her soft and doughy dumplings will never agree with my band!

I have to admit, I'm hoping to hit Olive Garden one more time for some Pasta, a trip to the Stone Hearth bread Co. for a warm loaf of honey wheat bread, and a huge bowl of saffron rice. These are the things I think I will probably not be able to eat after band. Can you tell I'm a carb lover?

I did have the same urge but I resisted. I was determined to start my new lifestyle and I figured there was no time better than the present. Sometimes I wish I would have pigged out for my last time. :heh:

good for you- I wish I had. :mad:

I got a little nutty the month before surgery, and put on a few pounds and made some very bad food choices. I did a last ditch effort about 2 days before surgery not to go nuts. (BTW my surgeon did not have me on a pre-op diet) and when they did my surgery, they put in the tool to hold my liver up and instead of lifting it, it sliced right into my liver because it was so fatty- the doctor said it was almost twice the size it should be :) for someone my size.

Anyhow, I survived and am happy to be banded, and those meals tasted great but between the holidays and Jan. being my "last month to eat" I was really hard on my body. If I had to do it over, I would choose a couple of meals out and probably try to choose stuff that might be hard to eat with the band (breads and such) but not overdo it. :hungry:

of course, whatever you do is your decision and I surely won't judge you.... I really went nuts!

BTW- the liver is healing well and doc says it will get much smaller and healthier as I shrink. I had surgery 1/31 and have not had my first fill.

I know that nothing anybody says will convince you but you can and will eat your favourite foods again - only this time not in excess and they wont have the hold over you they once did. There is no need for you to have it "one last time".

I felt a bit the same but for me, my new life started the day I said to my surgeon that I wanted to go ahead with the surgery. My last supper was tinned Soup and toast, lol.

before my preop diet, i was all about the last meals. which was bad, and i knew it, but as soon as i can't have something, i NEED IT.

but what was worse was the day before surgery, the nutritionalist said i could have a light meal as long as i stopped eating before midnight.

i am 100% committed to my new lifestyle. out with the bad, in with the good.

this was my light meal. not pictured, chocolate cake.

mexico012.jpg

edit: i shared all this with my friend. and i only had 2 pieces of pizza. LOL.

the nutritionalist said i could have a light meal as long as i stopped eating before midnight.

Silry,

I wish I hadn't taken Dr. Miranda's advice on eating the "light meal" of carne asada - it was terrible! The meat was almost inedible to me it was so full of fat - yuck! I did eat the rice, Beans, and "cactus paddle" which was actually very yummy! It tasted like a cross between artichokes and asparagus.

I wish I had gone out for a nice hearty steak!

Ohhhhhhhhh, beware of that "Last Supper Syndrome"!! I had no pre-op diet, just liquids 24 hours before surgery. I didn't have 'crazy' large meals. But...I DID make sure I ate EVERYTHING - varying night to night with dinners out, etc. Luckily, I never gained a pound. Ironic, isn't it!!?? lol

Good luck!

I do have to say that I did not go through the last meal syndrom. I had to be on a liquid diet for 10 days prior to surgery. I had committed myself to this procedure and food has never really ruled my life. I have never been an emotional eater or a snacker. I pretty much ate very balanced meals but my problem was Portion Control. I was banded on 12/26/06 and to date I have lost 47 lbs and a lot of inches. I have no regrets and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

But I have the strangest last meal thinking. I have been thinking about all the things I want to eat before my surgery. Almost like I used to do on Sunday before I started a new diet.

For all of you already banded - did you have the same urge?

I've had this mentality for atleast 20 years; that each nice dinner, where I can have a little of this and that, is my "last good meal before I diet". It's no different for me right now as I prepare for being banded. Come to think of it, it's another reason why I'm getting banded.