Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Is Hunger After Plication Surgery?

Is your hunger lessened or the same since plication surgery?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is your hunger the same as before surgery or greatly reduced?

• My hunger is greatly reduced since having plication surgery
    • My hunger is the same as before having plication surgery

I am very curious! I read that with the gastric sleeve surgery the portion of the stomach that contains the hunger hormone grehlin is taken out and that hunger is greatly reduced. However, with the plication surgery, the stomach is stapled and folded over and the grehlin hormone is still intact. So my curiousity is-----

does the plication actually have a hunger effect? Do you feel less hungry or the same? Thanks for your answers!

With the plication your stomach is folded in twice, not stapled or cut. Our stomachs are intact they are just shaped like a half a moon or banana for a few of us. With the restriction you can only eat a certain amount of food before you get full or feel sick from over-eating. My personal issue was or still is I eat without hunger. It's all in my mind. I eat bc am used to eating at a certain time or craze all day, Even with Mental Hunger I've lost 50 pounds by eating healthier and lots of cardio.

I had my plication 1 month ago and i have not gotten hungry yet, no growling stomach pangs, nada. :)

For the first couple of months after the surgery, I was ravenous! I had hunger pangs so bad they hurt. But the consensus was that it might have been a change in stomach acid secretion, so I took Pepcid which helped a little bit. It wasn't that I wasn't eating enough, I don't think. I've heard of a few other people that happened to, as well. Anyway, it finally went away and now I have "normal" hunger between meals. The problem for me is that I still get QUITE hungry between meals. I don't think my hunger sensations have been reduced at all. So, I struggle with it as those hunger pangs really call to me!

I dont think any weight loss surgery prevents hunger. After all if it did, people wouldnt overeat after surgery and gain the weight back. This is like every other surgery, it's a mind and habit thing. You have to change how and what you eat. I could still eat all day whether from hunger or habit but what stops me is the really uncomfortable feeling I get when I do over eat (because the capacity is not there) and the fact that I am trying the change how I think about food. I also dont want to be a complete failure at this. Plication is only a tool.

So true CeeBelize....it is only a tool and our success depends on how we work with that tool!

Hi everyone. I had my gastric plication one week ago at OCC. I find I am ravenous and need to eat at least every two hours. liquids are not keeping me satisfied. I read somewhere on here that liquids go through your system faster thus making it more difficult to obsorb nutrients. I started soft foods earlier than recommended by the nutritionist, but I am staying full longer and having more regular bathroom experience (which is wonderful, since I have IBS!). My question is, has anyone else found themselves in this situation and has anyone else started soft foods early?

Hi krresh

I went exactly through this. My stomach could phew and growl like anything when I'd get hungry. I was told to NOT take any semi-solid for as long as 2 wks. That was too much for me and I started taking semi-solids around ten days post surgery. But I didn't make it regular habit. Say I use to have puried food once or twice a day. But honestly I went ahead with solids very early around third wk or so. As I could easily tolerate them. But I'll advice you to be careful. Our hunger pangs are the same as before surgery and so initially it's very likely your eating patterns will be erroneous. Eat very slowly and stop as soon as you feel you'r ABOUT TO BE FULL. I did this mistake of not stopping at this point and now I can eat way much more than the initial surgery days and you don't want this. Although, I still eat very less as compared to what I could before surgery. My surgery date was 14th jun this year. My height is 5'5" and starting weight was 208 lbs and today I am 183 lbs.

Thank you for your advice. I found an awesome Protein Powder (most I have tried have been nasty) VEGA from Whole Foods and I have used that, frozen fruit, mjuice, and lactose free yogurt to make a smoothly. This seems to help. I really appreciate your reply!

krresh i am 8days out and starving!! I had a bit of mashed potaoes and it helped but i want to stay on task! i am seeing my dr on friday and will report back if i can go ahead with the mushies!!

My day was dec 3 sw 202. I'm 5'7 currently at 166... My hunger is not bad. I was on those acid reducer pills up until two weeks ago because man that is a hunger feeling. I haven't taken any in the past week and I feel ok... Maybe that's the problem?

I am down 46 lbs since my surgery November 3, 2012.I do get extreme hunger pains but I eat alot of small meals and that seems to help. But I still have to take acid reflux meds. Sometimes its so bad at night if I drink too much or eat too late it comes up and wakes me up out of a dead sleep. Horrible. Hoping it will get better when I lose 50 lbs more. I feel like I'm losing alot slower the last month. Need to do more walking.