Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had my mind made up for months, on which surgery I want to have. But last week I met with the surgeon, and he suggested the sleeve. Ultimately it is my decision. He just said the sleeve is just as effective as the bypass, but without all the complications. I just want to have the surgery that will be the best tool, long term. I am 25 years old, and I don't ever want to be at this weight again.

Height of 5'2

Weight 312

BMI 54-55

Please offer any advice you have! Surgery date is scheduled for February 25th!

Thanks!

Hi!

I am pre-op as well and wanted the sleeve due to my rheumatoid arthritis meds.

Dr. Brown in Kettering OH said with my age (44) I was young and the RNY would be my best long term option.

He said with the sleeve it goes down or back up with horrible reflux. If you read through the forums A LOT of people are having an additional surgery to change to the RNY from the sleeve or band to the RNY.

Hope this helps.

Missy

I think the RNY is the most effective and most proven method for weight loss. You would hate to have the sleeve because it is less invasive only to redo it a few years later. My daughter had the band for that reason and now she wishes she had just done the RNY. She is going to have revision surgery. Best of luck.

Hello!

I guess we have a similar story the Dr and the nutrionist want me to have the sleeve but I want the bypass. They gave me all the same reasons they gave you but I know a lot of people who have done really well with the bypass. I'm one of those ones that tried the lapband at first and now have to have a revision. I just don't want to go with the sleeve and risk having to revise to the bypass down the road. The way I figure I should go for what I know. Good Luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

I began my wls journey thinking of getting the sleeve. In the end I went with the bypass because of all the documented history on it. It has been proven that it works and there are years and years of satistics to keep you informed on how things will look in the long term. My biggest issue with food is Portion Control. I ate really healthy foods most of the time I was just a constant eater. With the sleeve I was told that I would not be restricted from any foods and eventually I could strech out my tiny stomach. I decided to have the bypass and I couldn't be happier. I loved potatoes and breads and all things white before surgery now I don't even think about them when I choose a food to eat. My body no longer craves carbs and I couldn't be more pumped about that. You will know what works best for you but for me knowing how well the bypass has worked for 30+ years was a big part of my choosing to have this surgery. Good Luck and best health wishes to you!