Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking through a straw

I was banded on Feb.9th so I am still in the very beginning of my journey. I have been drinking through a straw, is that bad? My doctor really didn't tell me anything other than to drink clear fluids for two weeks. Anything else I've learned from this site or researching the internet. Does anyone know if drinking through a straw is bad for you?? I figured it would help with the smaller sips I have to learn to deal with. Also other than popsicles, Jello and chicken broth is there something else I could eat?

Any feedback is greatly helpful!!

Thanks,

R

I was banded on Feb.9th so I am still in the very beginning of my journey. I have been drinking through a straw, is that bad? My doctor really didn't tell me anything other than to drink clear fluids for two weeks. Anything else I've learned from this site or researching the internet. Does anyone know if drinking through a straw is bad for you?? I figured it would help with the smaller sips I have to learn to deal with. Also other than popsicles, Jello and chicken broth is there something else I could eat?

Thanks,

R

I found using a straw helpful in reducing the gas. I used a straw for about aweek.

someone said that causes more gas but i drank through one last night and i did not have a problem

My thinking is that if straws are good enough for hospitals, they're good enough for me.:mad: I had virtually no gas pain so it's hard to say if the straws did the trick.

Thanks,R

When you are in the clear liquid phase your menu options really are pretty limited. The one thing I can say is, homemade broth is vastly better than just cracking open a can of Swanson's. And it does not have to be chicken only. Beef broth is great too.

Even if you are not a cook broth is easy to make. Just fill up a pot with a big load of chicken pieces. Wings, legs, necks and backs are fine. No need to use the good parts. For beef stock obviously use beef bones. For both chicken or beef you can brown these in the oven first for a slightly different flavor. Mixing beef and chicken is also quite good. Then, cut up some celery, onions and carrots into big pieces. Throw in a couple bay leaves if you have them around. Fill up the pot with bottled drinking Water (don't use tap Water for this). Then simmer for a long time. 24 hours is best but 12 is really good too. Skim the frothy, scummy stuff off the top once in a while and throw that away. When it has cooked long enough, strain and cool in the fridge. Lift off the fat layer which will become a solid at the top. And then heat, season, and enjoy. It's so much better canned broth you can't believe it.

Also, whether you make your own or use canned, you can boost the flavor even more by using some high quality chicken or beef base. The good ones list "chicken" or "beef" as the first ingredient, instead of "salt."

One good brand you can find in a lot of markets is "Better than Bouillon." You can order this on line as well if you prefer. It's probably cheaper on line. I have to say, it's really good.

Few of us have time to do this kind of thing these days when we are living our normal lives. But when you are healing, and broth is your only menu option, it can be fun and the results are really worth it.

I know that all doctors are different, my doctor has overstated that we should not use straws, and even if they give one in the hospital to throw it away. The premise behind this is that you are also sucking up air, therefore causing gas.

I don't know how true it is, but I don't use them

good luck on the rest of your journey:)

I use straws all the time and it doesn't bother me, but I have heard some people say it gave them gas really bad. I think you just have to try it and see for yourself.

Following a lot of dental work many years ago, I began using straws to keep cold liquid off of my front tooth that was temperature sensitive. I have used them every day since. I used them in the hospital following surgery...and never had any issue with gas, or air being sucked through them.

Straws, are just one of many, many things that each Dr. does differently, and is insistant that his/her way is best!! Since you deal with your Dr. do it the way they want I'd say!

Kat

I know that all doctors are different, my doctor has overstated that we should not use straws, and even if they give one in the hospital to throw it away. The premise behind this is that you are also sucking up air, therefore causing gas.

I don't know how true it is, but I don't use them

good luck on the rest of your journey:)

Thanks..I'll throw my straws away now.

Some Doctors seem to be very hot on the idea of not using a straw, simply because it may lead to swalllowing more air, something they want us to avoid in the early stages.

Other Doctors don't seem to be too bothered- I used a straw and never ran into problems. I think its abit like the stories that certain foods are not band friendly- it may be true for one individual but the next person has not problems at all