Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Testing - It Should Not Be This Hard...

I just need to vent.. I was so happy when I found out that I only needed to do the pre-op diet for 3 months. The surgeon told me to start scheduling all of my pre-op testing. So I have been trying to. I was able to schedule the upper GI, chest x-ray and EKG on 10-1. Quick and simple. Then I called about the psyche and nutrition. The woman said they are backed up until Nov. She said since I was completing my requirements for diet on 10/9 she did not know what to do with me. HUH??? She said she would have to call the Dr. to see what she could do? Then never called me back. So I called and asked to get an appointment on the books for Nov. incase nothing could be done. Then I got a call saying they needed to speak with me about my insurance but won't call me back. This is nuts. I am traveling for work and this is so frustrating. I understand they are busy but this is a HUGE practice in Pittsburgh that is a Center of Excellence. They have TONS of people getting surgery. Oh and they are saying I must do the nutrition counseling there. So they can't get another nutritionist? They are really booked up for two months??? I was really hoping for a Nov. date but it looks like Jan. now since it takes about 6 weeks to get a surgery date after all of your testing. I have not even started with the insurance yet. sigh... I swear this is some horrible test of my endurance.

It took me 2 almost 3 months to get an appointment for the psych evaluation. Its October 3rd. I know the hoops we have to go through is ridiculous!!

The hoops will all be worth jumping in the end, though. Hang in there and be persistent. And you are the patient... the customer... of this practice, so demand to be treated with respect and common courtesy. If they are not responsive, I'd find another surgeon. My two cents...

Some centers have more patients than they can handle. I found that with the first practice I went to with my lapband. It was crazy hard to get a fill or unfill because there were only 2 surgeons and you had to have the surgeon who did your surgery do it unless it was an emergency. So I had started the process with them for the RNY and after being left hung out to dry to find a therapist on my own. NO lists of therapists they recommend nuttin!

The next center was quick, had all my appointments for me and bingo done. The only snafu was my PCP's letter and her going on vacation so I couldn't get one.

It is confusing what you're going through. Does your group have a list of visits and tests you can check off as you complete them or schedule them? Mine had that and they added all the dates of my appointments to it.

Keep your head up! Be possitive!! I know it was tough for me to get in also. Maybe this is a good thing so that way you can have everything set up for you

Thanks all!! I had a conversation today with the NUT and she was kinda nasty. She was yelling at me that they did not have my food logs and that she was going to tell my insurance company I am not compliant. WTH?? I am so pissed. I had to do a make up session for my monthly weigh in since I traveled the whole month of Sept for work. They did not ask for them. I have them!!! I thought they would just get them at the next session. Why would somebody be mean about it before even getting what happened?? I understand that people do not do what they are told but you do not assume that I am not. I finally got her to go speak to the other NUT that had helped me. I feel bad for him. He tried to help me out and now has to explain it all to her.

I had to do first 2 months of food logs. Then didn't have too see nut again. I asked about food logs and was told didn't need to do them anymore. I sure hope they were right

Some centers have more patients than they can handle. I found that with the first practice I went to with my lapband. It was crazy hard to get a fill or unfill because there were only 2 surgeons and you had to have the surgeon who did your surgery do it unless it was an emergency. So I had started the process with them for the RNY and after being left hung out to dry to find a therapist on my own. NO lists of therapists they recommend nuttin!

The next center was quick' date=' had all my appointments for me and bingo done. The only snafu was my PCP's letter and her going on vacation so I couldn't get one.

It is confusing what you're going through. Does your group have a list of visits and tests you can check off as you complete them or schedule them? Mine had that and they added all the dates of my appointments to it.[/quote']

It sounds lime you had a lap band and then an RNY. I have had a slip after 8 years and am switching to RNY. Can you tell me how that went and are you glad to changed to te RNY

I feel your pain. It took me 2 months to get in to see the dietician & nurse practitioner too. I only have 1 life skills class & 1 dietician appt to go. I had a clearance appt scheduled on 10/12, but they called me the other day to tell me they have a conflict & can't see me until 10/31. Now that's pushing me back 3 weeks. So I guess I won't be having surgery until December. I'm so frustrated.

It took me about 3 months to get an appointment for my psych evaluation!!

It took me about 3 months to get an appointment for my psych evaluation!!

Hang in there ladies.... There's a bright light at the end of this tunnel!!!!

You are correct! I have my upper GI, Chest X-ray, nutrition and psyche eval Monday. Yippee! I would love to squeeze in my EKG but may not have enough time. Wish me luck!!

You can have your primary doctor do it in office of he has the equipment. My surgeon just had my pcp order the test that was required so was able to get them all in a weeks time. And since he already did blood work was able to use that. So now just have to ddo psych evaluation and last weigh in on Thursday then submit to insurance for approval and get a surgery date which will be in October just don't know when

At the hospital now. EKG, chest X-ray and upper GI all done. Waiting for nutrition and psyche appointments. Does anyone know what is required from your OBGYN? I guess just a check up and Pap smear. I'll have to ask today. Hope all this comes out ok.