Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I go for my information session july 31 ive heard alot of mixed stories. I am nervous about the sugery and the dieting. Ive always had problems sticking to diets i get depressed and give up. food seems to be comfort food my ecaspe.

Dont listen to the stories. Eveyone is different. I went to my seminar in MArch and almost one month ago I had surgery! All the appts were very informational and I felt the same way at first. I was scared about leaving my comfort food. I havent felt better... think positive and good luck:)

Welcome to the forum! You're certainly among friends, most of which have a history of problems with sticking to diets! LOL. Pretty much everyone is nervous about the surgery but the reality usually isn't nearly as bad as what you imagine! You're gonna love the new you!

Welcome to the forum! You're certainly among friends, most of which have a history of problems with sticking to diets! LOL. Pretty much everyone is nervous about the surgery but the reality usually isn't nearly as bad as what you imagine! You're gonna love the new you!

Your weight loss is awesome!!! I will be 1 month next week and I cant wait to feel and look great!!! congrats!

Ty i want to be around long enough to watch my kids grow up and to beable to play with them amd not get tired put fast. I want to be a role model for them so they dont get the same way. And the mesical reasons lol.

I am new to all of this. I have been taking phentermine since october, but my weight has now plateaued. But I am afraid to stop taking it because I dont want to gain back the weight that I have lost!!! I had a baby 10 months ago and since then I have lost my baby weight and then some. My doc suggested the weight loss surgery because I am having some issues with my blood pressure. Can u guys give me some insight into what is better...band or bypass??!!?? I am so afraid...PLEASE HELP!!!

I'll be honest with you...I seem to hear nothing but horror stories from the band. Just my personal opinion, but I think they're eventually going to do away with the band. It seems people are unhappy over not losing enough, having complications, etc. etc. More and more people are getting their band revised to the sleeve or bypass. I think as technology and weight management studies advance in the future, the band will no longer be an option. Just my opinion! Bypass has been around the longest. :D Good luck.

I prefer th bypass just with bmi and health relater problems the band ive heard can slide down over time ans then they have to put it back in placw

Welcome to the group. A lot of surgeon aren't doing lap band because of the slips it has & some ppl don't want to have the fill & unfill every so often. A lot that do lap band end up doing gastric bypass. To avoid all that I would go with gastric bypass. You lose more weight & it's no joke! Sugar fat ect... You will be careful cuz you eat the wrong thing or drink to fast vomit you will. I love it though!

Thanks you guys!!! I think what scares me the most is that people die and have strokes from having the surgery. I too, like Vanna, want to be around to raise my daughter and play without getting exhausted. It is not totally cosmetic for me because even though I am a full figured woman, I have the confidence of a woman half my size :) I just want that sense of well being, and to be an example for my daughter when she is older. How can I teach her to eat right and be healthy, when I am not doing the same. Please just guide me through this. I have far exceeded my 6 month monitored weight loss. Just gotta take the next steps...

I do have a few ?'s

1. How long is the recovery after the surgery? How long is the hospital stay?

2. When can I go back to work?

3. Will I still be able to play with my baby or will I be out of it for a few months???

Thanks you guys!!! I think what scares me the most is that people die and have strokes from having the surgery. I too' date=' like Vanna, want to be around to raise my daughter and play without getting exhausted. It is not totally cosmetic for me because even though I am a full figured woman, I have the confidence of a woman half my size :) I just want that sense of well being, and to be an example for my daughter when she is older. How can I teach her to eat right and be healthy, when I am not doing the same. Please just guide me through this. I have far exceeded my 6 month monitored weight loss. Just gotta take the next steps...

I do have a few ?'s

3. Will I still be able to play with my baby or will I be out of it for a few months???[/quote']

Did you set up an initial consult with a bariatric surgeon yet?

That is my next step...went to my seminar on Monday. It just saddened, yet motivated, me to want to do this. There were people in wheelchairs, breathing heavy and on oxygen. I pray to God that it doesnt happen to me. I will not tell ANYONE what I topped out at(only that it was over 300!!!)...but I have lost a significant amount of weight, but still need to lose A LOT MORE!!! What info can you give me to ease some of my fears and doubts??

That is my next step...went to my seminar on Monday. It just saddened' date=' yet motivated, me to want to do this. There were people in wheelchairs, breathing heavy and on oxygen. I pray to God that it doesnt happen to me. I will not tell ANYONE what I topped out at(only that it was over 300!!!)...but I have lost a significant amount of weight, but still need to lose A LOT MORE!!! What info can you give me to ease some of my fears and doubts??[/quote']

I'm in the same boat as you. I started researching lapband in 2006, had my consult, but never followed through, which I'm glad I hadn't. I started looking into weight loss surgery again, because my younger sister has been in the process for awhile and is having her surgery done this month on the 25th. We're best friends, so I figured having the mutual support would be great, as this is something we can work together on for life. Only difference is she's getting the sleeve (which i wanted) but I'm getting the bypass, since my insurance only covers that procedure. I had my first consult yesterday, and don't need a 6 month diet, but I do need a lottttt of tests done.

The only thing you can do to ease some of your fear and questions is to research as much as you can. Become an expert on all things weight loss surgery. Understand that there are chances of complications, but then again, there are also complications to severe obesity in the long term. Weigh tge positives and benefits. Know as much as you can going into it! Good luck!!!! :) :)

Thanks you guys!!! I think what scares me the most is that people die and have strokes from having the surgery. I too, like Vanna, want to be around to raise my daughter and play without getting exhausted. It is not totally cosmetic for me because even though I am a full figured woman, I have the confidence of a woman half my size :) I just want that sense of well being, and to be an example for my daughter when she is older. How can I teach her to eat right and be healthy, when I am not doing the same. Please just guide me through this. I have far exceeded my 6 month monitored weight loss. Just gotta take the next steps...

I do have a few ?'s

3. Will I still be able to play with my baby or will I be out of it for a few months???

1. The average hospital stay is two days. Some folks are out in one, some may be in for four or more days if any complications arise.

2. You guys correct me if I'm wrong but I think most doctors suggest two to three weeks. I have two family members who went back to work in a week and have read of others here on the forum who did the same. I also have read of others who took six weeks off. An awful lot depends on the individual. Personally, I'm not big on sitting around doing nothing and I couldn't wait to get back to work. More importantly, I think getting back into your routine promotes faster healing and your recovery is a LOT easier when you're busy.

3. My doctor told me not to lift more than ten pounds for at least three months - lifting too much weight too soon could cause some sutures to break free until they have had time to heal. That said, you most certainly will be able to play with your baby! The first two or three weeks immediately following the surgery you'll likely be moving a little slower than normal. It's all downhill after that!!

You're gonna love the new you!!

My daughter is 3 and loves junk foos already cuze we do. The only good thibg is that zhe iz under weight but i sont want her turning out like me my sister is almosr 8 and ia aleady in 14-16 junioer. Seeing her feelz like my past and im worried that she'll have to go through what i went through. i want to be an example. My mom had tbe surgery a couple of years age she lost at firsr and now shes gainex all back plus. Im scared of flowing inher foot steps