Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Undecided - Need honest opnions/ advice

Hi all! Here's my story...back in 2003 I had the lap band and it worked somewhat okay for a little while and I lost 75 lbs. But then it just became torture all foods basically got stuck and it was the worst feeling ever! Even Soups would get stuck. Now that I am considering the VSG I am SO scared of course because this is permanent and especially to have to live with food gettin "stuck" fot the rest of my life. The whole chew chew chew thing scares me to hear when VSG's mention it because does that mean you will have to chew chew chew your food down to mush for the rest of your life? Do you veterans have problemseating certain food months even years out? Also what about drinking with eating is that a forever thing too...where u can never have a drink when u r thirsty when eating? Also heard of some people saying they get a tightness feeling at the beginning after surgery...is this the same feeling like with the band and does this last forever? I guess what I am wondering too is those who have been sleeved for a year plus do u feel like except e

Only being able toeat smaller portions would u not even know u have the sleeve because it poses no problems or sideeffects? So scared and dint want to live like I previously did with the band forever! Sorry for the mish mosh of questions but the thoughts and fears keep flowing lut. I really want and need this BAD I just have toknow it's right. I have 2 babies to worry about too. Your help, advise and opi ions will be more appreciated than yiu willever know! Blessings to you all!

Hi, I'm only 2 months post op, but already I feel back to normal and can eat any meats and vegetables I like, just smaller portions. I don't find I need to chew any differently and the occasional sip after eating so long as you haven't stuffed yourself seems to be ok. I can eat nuts and raw carrots etc, doesn't seem to be any issues with getting stuck. The only thing that doesn't feel so good is bread or potatoes etc, but I don't really feel like that stuff now any way (which I used to love). Sushi is fine too, just been having a couple of small pieces and taking it slow. The weight is just falling off at the moment and I think it's been well worthwhile making this decision.

Good luck with your choices.

my experience has been similar to Hayz's, and I am about 4 months out...the main thing for me now is not the type of food I eat but the quantity...if I over-eat my sleeve, I feel terrible and have almost thrown up because of eating too much...I don't chew my food to mush, but the sleeve has taught me to chew much better than I used to pre-op (and that is what it is supposed to do)..I get acid reflux occasionally if I eat too much of a food that is spicy, but I take prescription Prevacid to keep that under control...I can't report on experience wth bread, rice, potatoes, etc. since I don't eat those as part of my current dietary plan...truly, right now the only effect I feel on my eating is that I can only eat much smaller quantities (again, that is the intended effect of the sleeve surgery)

I was sleeved February 8, 2013 and for me, the chewing is very important. I don't chew things touch, but if I don't chew we'll enough, I can feel the food move through my stomach, and at times it can be painful. I don't regret my decision of having the surgery even though I sometimes forget to chew at all.

I am almost 9 months out and I can pretty much eat anything I want. I choose to stay low carb, low fat, low sugar in order to continue with my weight loss. I've treated myself to potatoes and bread a couple of times and have no problems with them except that bread sits heavy in my tummy. I drink Water through a straw. I find that I don't want to drink water until at least 30 minutes after a meal because I feel too full to drink any. For me, the changes that the sleeve brought about are all good. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I've gone from a size 22 pants to a size 10 and I'm loving it! My only regret is I'm 49 and I wish I'd done it sooner.

I was banded in 2006. Had great success in the beginning then I had to have my gallbladder out. Once that occurred, I could never find that "sweet spot" again and was constantly going to get fills and then unfills due to all the getting stuck and throwing up. It was a never ending journey for me. Then, after about year 5, it sprang a leak! It was a small one at first and I could still work within the band but then it finally quit holding any saline and I needed to make a decision. I consulted with my Dr and he told me that we could put another band in easy, no problem. My mind started racing back to all the fills and unfills (which are very unpleasant by the way) and I just couldn't go back to that. I had researched the sleeve and talked to a few people who had it done,along with my PCP and made the decision to go with sleeve. My original surgeon was all on board and he did my sleeve. I am only 2 weeks out but already can tell a huge difference. I'm told I may still be in my "buyers remorse" phase but in the next few weeks it will really start to turn around even more. I am very happy that I have done this and do not miss the band.

The not drinking while eating thing is indeed a forever rule. Though you may be able to get away without realizing it has slowed the weight loss in the beginning, it allows more volume and therefore calories into your new small stomach. My dietician explained to me that this is the number 1 factor associated with weight regain in any WLS patient.