Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preventative measures.... Body Wraps and compression garments. Do they work?

So here's the deal, I'm 25 years old pre-op and worried to death about "deflating body syndrome". I know working out will help, but the reality is I have to lose 160+ pounds and that is bound to leave a pretty good amount of jiggle. I have seen ads and testimony about body wraps and compression garments telling their miracle working abilities but has anyone tried them? I have no insurance and would have to pay out of pocket for "the plastics" not to mention I don't Love the idea of another surgery. I'm thinking that maybe doing a body wrap every month as I lose the weight would help with skin tightening. Or has anyone heard about the body compression garments. Please please I need some input on this. Thanks in advance.

Ignore the ads for body wraps and save your money. Compression garments help with your appearance only while you are wearing them and they work by redistributing the excess skin.

It's good that you're doing it now, at 25. I lost a lot of weight in my early 20s (no surgery), and had no sagging skin. Then I lost a lot of weight again in my mid-30's (again without surgery) and boy what a difference! So your age will help; so will working out, and possibly, not dropping too rapidly. It also depends on where the weight is distributed on your body--I find some people are just able to conceal it more than others, depending on where they held there weight. I agree with Notime, and think you should save your money. A certain amount of "sag" is inevitable, but it may not be as bad as you're imagining!

I was 29 when I had mine. I've lost 200lbs. I would rather have a little sagging skin that clothes can cover up then be stuck in my previous shape. And honestly my little problem areas are not that bad. Just follow what they say...lots of Protein, Water, and being active.

Thanks everyone, I was afraid it would be a waste but ya know I gotta ask. I would definitely rather have some sag than remain as I am, but y'all know how us women are with Body image and such. That being said, anyone self pay for "the plastics"?

So here's the deal' date=' I'm 25 years old pre-op and worried to death about "deflating body syndrome". I know working out will help, but the reality is I have to lose 160+ pounds and that is bound to leave a pretty good amount of jiggle. I have seen ads and testimony about body wraps and compression garments telling their miracle working abilities but has anyone tried them? I have no insurance and would have to pay out of pocket for "the plastics" not to mention I don't Love the idea of another surgery. I'm thinking that maybe doing a body wrap every month as I lose the weight would help with skin tightening. Or has anyone heard about the body compression garments. Please please I need some input on this. Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I've done alot of reading and I am using a body scrub with every shower which helps with circulation. You have to massage the scrub towards your heart for blood flow. Also I plan on getting lymphatic drainage massages once a month or more. Google lymphatic massage and you can read all about how it's helpful during weight loss. Also lots of lotion and stay hydrated. I have about 80 more pounds to lose (already lost 20 since 07/29) and am not to thrilled to think about more surgery for awhile so this is my plan. Hope that helps.

Thanks Manda, That does help. I want to know i did all I could to avoid surgery if I do eventually have to have it. I like the idea of monthly massages :)

I'm 28 and I'm SO worried about this too. In another thread, I learned that Nivea Q10 is good for your skin, so I'll be trying that post-op.

I think I will be trying a plethora of techniques and pray that one of them works.

27 here, and I'm worried most about my arms. I have a pretty big stomach, but hardly any stretch marks, new or old, on it. My insurance pays for the panni removal so I'm not too worried about that. But the first thing I notice about people are their arms, and if I have big giant bat wings I'd never wear anything short sleeved. I'm planning on dry brushing, firming lotion and homemade body wraps. Along with exercise, of course

Homemade body wraps? As in a kit or honest to goodness homemade?

I'll try to find the recipe for it, but it's home made home made. Plastic wrap, some kind of mixture on your skin and hot towels over the top. My friend does it all the time for her baby belly pooch and it's looking really good

Please share when you find it! Thanks!

Ok, she uses this one http://m.wikihow.com/Do-a-Home-Body-Wrap

Don't do it more than once a month.

For a simple overnight wrap, slather on a thick layer of any kind of firming lotion. Plastic wrap the skin, then ace bandage the top. Leave on overnight. She does this once a month also

Cool Beans!