Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5:2 Folks!

I know you guys have your own group but figured you guys would read posts here - I just watched Michael Mosley's PBS special Eat, Fast, and Live Longer and it was great. I know it is on a few times this week on my local PBS station. Taping his next show which is called the Truth About Exercise. Here is a link http://video.pbs.org/program/michael-mosley/

Cool thank you!

Bah I really wish I could post and have use of the editor - so I will just keep replying to my own post lol. I think I am going to give the 5:2 plan a spin. I have been doing Leangains and I love it - which is more of the 16/8 - fast/feed daily schedule. After reading on Butter's maintenance post I researched getting a resting metabolism test done - turns out that they do them at Swedish - the medical center Fiddleman and his wife had their surgery at (see you guys on Saturday at support group ;) - I think I will go see them and check it out.

Crap, those videos are never available "in my area" for viewing. :( What was the general finding of the program? Was he in favor of it?

Crap, those videos are never available "in my area" for viewing. :( What was the general finding of the program? Was he in favor of it?

It won't play for you Dee? Well I finally was able to watch it this am. The link Chimera gave worked fine and I watched it from my computer.

If anyone is short on time, he really starts exploring ADF and 5:2 at about 35 minutes in (it's just shy of 60 mins long), but basically the show was about exploring the link between calorie reduction and longevity. He tried a 4 day fast and did blood panels before and after and there was a dramatic difference in the after, but it didn't last. Then he did the 5:2 and in 5 weeks he lost -14lbs, cut his body fat from 27% to 19% and cut his IGF (cancer risk factor) by 50%. Oh and his blood sugar and cholesterol which were above normal went down into the normal range.

He ended it by saying there still need to be a lot of scientific trials on humans (vs. animals) but that he thought it was something that really could have widespread positive results if people could try it. He felt he was going to continue with it.

And Chimera...that exercise one looks really interesting too (I can't get it to play right now...it gave me a blurb about technical difficulties...maybe that is what you got Dee?...anyway will try to view it again later.)

Thanks again for the link!

No, it happens all the time -- content is not licensed to play outside the US. Thanks for the summary!!

I think I am going to give the 5:2 plan a spin. I have been doing Leangains and I love it - which is more of the 16/8 - fast/feed daily schedule.

Chimera,

How long have you been doing the 16/8 schedule? I think it's a great concept. The "resting" hours in the 5:2 plan, in my opinion are more important than sticking the 500 calories..

But wow, I don't know if I could do that everyday though!

No, it happens all the time -- content is not licensed to play outside the US. Thanks for the summary!!

Ooooh, got it. That stinks. Darn I wish you could watch it. It was really facsinating.

Yeah I took notes so that I could relay some of the info to you. :)

I just tried to watch it and it was not available for viewing. :( I will have to try it again. :P

Chimera' date='

How long have you been doing the 16/8 schedule? I think it's a great concept. The "resting" hours in the 5:2 plan, in my opinion are more important than sticking the 500 calories..

But wow, I don't know if I could do that everyday though![/quote']

The 16/8 leangains method I'd actually quite easy. As soon as I quit doing shift work, I'm going back to it full time. You basically skip Breakfast....that's it. You start eating around lunch time and have your last meal at 8pm. Bam....your done....the end. The 16 hour fast is designed to boost HGH production so you workout close to the end of the fast, an hour or 2 before you're going to eat your first meal. The increased HGH helps you build muscle and burn fat. The 8 hour window can be any time of day but the noon to 8pm window, while just an example, is easy for alot of people to do. You eat whatever calories you see fit. You can eat less to lose weight or cram in more to gain muscle if you want. This is the same method Hugh Jackman used to get so shredded for the wolverine movies.

The 16/8 leangains method I'd actually quite easy. As soon as I quit doing shift work' date=' I'm going back to it full time. You basically skip Breakfast....that's it. You start eating around lunch time and have your last meal at 8pm. Bam....your done....the end. The 16 hour fast is designed to boost HGH production so you workout close to the end of the fast, an hour or 2 before you're going to eat your first meal. The increased HGH helps you build muscle and burn fat. The 8 hour window can be any time of day but the noon to 8pm window, while just an example, is easy for alot of people to do. You eat whatever calories you see fit. You can eat less to lose weight or cram in more to gain muscle if you want. This is the same method Hugh Jackman used to get so shredded for the wolverine movies.[/quote']

Only two things that really don't work for me..,

Working out while in the fast... And the everyday thing... Really that's why 5:2 is working so well for me. I can stick to it.

I like the structure of 16/8 and it makes so much sense. But I would "fail" if I tried the eating schedule everyday.

I guess I will never look like Hugh Hackman..

Oh well.

Only two things that really don't work for me..' date='

Working out while in the fast... And the everyday thing... Really that's why 5:2 is working so well for me. I can stick to it.

I like the structure of 16/8 and it makes so much sense. But I would "fail" if I tried the eating schedule everyday.

I guess I will never look like Hugh Hackman..

Oh well.[/quote']

Laura....I went for a 3 mile fasted run this morning. It felt great. That's not a real long run for me, but doing it fasted on a regular basis means my body starts out and stays in fat burning mode rather than a sugar burning mode. Now, I have to do my part by keeping it moderate (not too long) and by not running too fast. But the pay off is, I can do it everyday and I never feel that uncomfortable bonking sensation you get when your body starts out burning glycogen and then runs out. I hate that feeling, and by training fasted I'm training my body not to do it.

And plus, I already do look like Hugh Jackman....in the sense that I have long claws and I'm hairy....yep....already there.

Btw....the missus already told me if the real Hugh Jackman ever shows up at the house....I gotta leave.

absolutely fascinating! I will be fasting for the benefits of cognition functioning as well. I am not sure about cutting back on my Proteins though. :) What is your opinion on cutting back on proteins?

Laura....I went for a 3 mile fasted run this morning. It felt great. That's not a real long run for me' date=' but doing it fasted on a regular basis means my body starts out and stays in fat burning mode rather than a sugar burning mode. Now, I have to do my part by keeping it moderate (not too long) and by not running too fast. But the pay off is, I can do it everyday and I never feel that uncomfortable bonking sensation you get when your body starts out burning glycogen and then runs out. I hate that feeling, and by training fasted I'm training my body not to do it.[/quote']

Show off! :D

Btw....the missus already told me if the real Hugh Jackman ever shows up at the house....I gotta leave.

I say the same thing to my husband. Except in my case it's Lenny Kravitz :P

absolutely fascinating! I will be fasting for the benefits of cognition functioning as well. I am not sure about cutting back on my Proteins though. :) What is your opinion on cutting back on Proteins?

Your weekly total is more important than daily totals. Just make sure that weekly total is still where you want it to be.