Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full fat, low-fat, or fat-free?

So.... I've noticed on several WLS recipes, it calls for the full-fat versions of things!

What is the best approach when it comes to the three options? When I go to the store, what one should I buy?

I'd check the nutrition labels.

I've come across some fat-free that is more cals than the low-fat, etc...

I'd love to kick them all to the curb but haven't yet.

Everytime I see sugar-free or fat-free I think "sh*tstorm of chemicals"

Maybe someday.

The thing I keep in mind with the Low Fat/Full Fat options is that sometimes the low fat option has sugars in it to make up for the flavor lost. So I tend to go with the option that has the fewest grams of sugar.

When looking at LF/Full Fat I also look at the total calorie count.

In the case of my refried Beans, the difference is only about 10 calories more a serving if I go with regular refried Beans and I think they taste better than no fat refried beans.

So it's a matter of taste sometimes. Overall, I'd rather go with a full fat option with few carbs than low fat with high carbs.

"sh*tstorm of chemicals"

I love that, I may have to steal it and tell to my friends. LMFAO

I don't really do sf or lf anymore. I eat so little that i don't think it really matters. I do try to stay with things from the earth and will eat cheese. I read all the labels and buy products with no added sugar. Sugar is toxic it for me so i work at avoiding it. The only exception I have is the whipped cream. I crave that stuff too....LOL :P

I do not fear fat in foods, within reason. I'd much rather eat fat vs. empty flour or something, and really, I'm eating so little in the grand scheme of things that if I want 1 oz of real cheddar vs. fat free cheddar, you know what? It ain't gonna kill me.

My nighttime snack if I have leftover calories is a 1/4 cup of ricotta with some extract (almond or coconut) stirred in, with a packet of sweetener. I had been using Splenda or Truvia, but I've recently just used a sugar packet. It's like 15 calories and 4 carbs to use the real sugar packet and it tastes better. Two more minutes on the elliptical and it's forgotten.

I don't really worry about the fat content either. I eat what tastes good to me, and focus on getting in my Protein every day. I am usually under 700 calories a day. Having some fat in your diet is important for body and brain function- you cannot completely eliminate fat from your diet long-term. I never eat anything with artificial sweeteners. If I eat something sweet, it has natural sugar or stevia in it. BUT, I am not diabetic, so I do not have to worry about my blood sugar. I focus on eating clean, which means eating food in it's most natural and organic state that has not been processed or has any additives or preservatives, and that is working really well for me. I feel great- I have energy, I can concentrate at work, and I feel really healthy. (I do have an occasional "bad" treat though, I am only human!)

I'm so glad to hear all of these answers! I DESPISE the way fat-free stuff tastes! And when you can only eat a few ounces... it better taste good, dadgumit!

So... What is more important to watch (or make decisions based upon)... Calories? Carbs? or Sugars?

I do full-fat EVERYTHING. Always. More whole foods whenever possible!

Edit: I eat low-carb in that I don't eat wheat or any other grains, and I limit sugars.

I do full fat .. I feel I don't eat as much so a rather in enjoy what I do it but I must admit all my drinks are sugar free just because drinking the calories are easier then eating them I mostly drink Water or sugarless tea

I'm so glad to hear all of these answers! I DESPISE the way fat-free stuff tastes! And when you can only eat a few ounces... it better taste good, dadgumit!

So... What is more important to watch (or make decisions based upon)... Calories? Carbs? or Sugars?

In my nutrition classes, they put the emphasis on calories first, unless you were a diabetic then it was sugar first. Carbs and calories go hand in hand, so if your carbs are high, your calories will be too, which is why I just watch my calories and don't worry about carbs or sugar.

So what is a good "rule of thumb" when deciding on a food, according to calories? I'd there a particular "number" that y'all try to steer away from, just as a general "rule of thumb?"

You kno to be honest it's really what works for you in my own opinion I don't track my food are non of that but it works for me I'm 6 months down 99 pounds .. And it feels good I think the best thing is find your sweet spot that benefits you

So what is a good "rule of thumb" when deciding on a food' date=' according to calories? I'd there a particular "number" that y'all try to steer away from, just as a general "rule of thumb?"[/quote']

Not sure such a thing exists. Everyone is different. Every situation is different