Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will someone explain to me the physiology of losing inches and not losing weight? I've been at a stall pound wise but losing inches steady. It's not repositioning....everything is smaller. I'm not understanding how one can get smaller but not lose weight. Help me understand!

Perhaps you're gaining muscle and losing fat? (Which would tone you and pull things in creating a loss in inches)

A pound of muscle is 16 oz. A pound of fat is 16 oz. Muscle takes up less space then fat. Think of it like a pound of feathers vs. a pound of marbles. You could probably fill a room with a pound of feathers, and fill a jar with a pound of marbles. Get it? So if you're building muscle you're going to replace the fat and your measurements will change. Also, muscle burns fat, so the more % of muscle you have in your body, the more calories your body will burn, and you will lose weight faster. Also when you exercise, your fat cells fill up with Water, then your body sheds the water, which is why you sometimes see the scale go up when you start to exercise. I'm not an exercise Physiologist, these are just things I've read, and they make sense to me.

A pound of muscle is 16 oz. A pound of fat is 16 oz. Muscle takes up less space then fat. Think of it like a pound of feathers vs. a pound of marbles. You could probably fill a room with a pound of feathers' date=' and fill a jar with a pound of marbles. Get it? So if you're building muscle you're going to replace the fat and your measurements will change. Also, muscle burns fat, so the more % of muscle you have in your body, the more calories your body will burn, and you will lose weight faster. Also when you exercise, your fat cells fill up with Water, then your body sheds the Water, which is why you sometimes see the scale go up when you start to exercise. I'm not an exercise Physiologist, these are just things I've read, and they make sense to me.[/quote']

Thank you Amy. I liked the analogy you used with marbles vs feathers. I understand better now. I need to read more lol

Will someone explain to me the physiology of losing inches and not losing weight? I've been at a stall pound wise but losing inches steady. It's not repositioning....everything is smaller. I'm not understanding how one can get smaller but not lose weight. Help me understand!

This picture should help you understand.

post-36207-13813667657352_thumb.jpeg

[ATTACH]15406[/ATTACH]

Ohhhh hence the reposition of the body equaling less inches. That pic hit it for me. Thx!

Ohhhh hence the reposition of the body equaling less inches. That pic hit it for me. Thx!

You're welcome!

A pound of muscle is 16 oz. A pound of fat is 16 oz. Muscle takes up less space then fat. Think of it like a pound of feathers vs. a pound of marbles. You could probably fill a room with a pound of feathers' date=' and fill a jar with a pound of marbles. Get it? So if you're building muscle you're going to replace the fat and your measurements will change. Also, muscle burns fat, so the more % of muscle you have in your body, the more calories your body will burn, and you will lose weight faster. Also when you exercise, your fat cells fill up with Water, then your body sheds the Water, which is why you sometimes see the scale go up when you start to exercise. I'm not an exercise Physiologist, these are just things I've read, and they make sense to me.[/quote']

Great way to explain it but fat cells shrink when you lose weight but are always there....hence why so many people who do lose weight so easily put it back on! You can accumulate lets say 100 large fat cells & losing weight shrinks them but you will still have that same 100 cells just shrunken waiting to be filled back up with fat! So your fat cells won't be shed by the water.

Great way to explain it but fat cells shrink when you lose weight but are always there....hence why so many people who do lose weight so easily put it back on! You can accumulate lets say 100 large fat cells & losing weight shrinks them but you will still have that same 100 cells just shrunken waiting to be filled back up with fat! So your fat cells won't be shed by the Water.

I see...wow...thank you

I see...wow...thank you

Taking a food & Nutrition class & just recently learned that....no wonder I can lose weight but then bam there it is back + a few extra lbs!