Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone here taken the anti-convulsant gabapentin? Did you have to stop before surgery for a certain period of time?

I'm taking it now and I am allowed to take it up until surgery which is Monday. I checked with my doctor.

I'm taking it now and I am allowed to take it up until surgery which is Monday. I checked with my doctor.

Thanks! I have an email out to my dr but my neurologist just started me on it and I didn't know if I should wait or go ahead and start. The neurologist wanted me to start it ASAP so I was just curious.

I take it and was able to take it right up until my surgery.

My rheumatologist switched me to it yesterday. My new insurance won't pay for Cymbalta, which I'm on for fibromyalgia. Anyone have side effects from it?

I took topamax for years for Migraines but couldn't tolerate the 'missing words' any longer. I am just starting it and on a low dose to try to decrease the severity and frequency of migraines. I'm about to get Botox shots around my neck and forehead too.

My only side effect with Gabapentin is that it makes me a little wonky if I take too much. Like I get a little too talkative and too outgoing. And a little fuzzy-headed. But other than that, it's not bad. My Topamax side effects were baaaaad.

My only side effect with Gabapentin is that it makes me a little wonky if I take too much. Like I get a little too talkative and too outgoing. And a little fuzzy-headed. But other than that' date=' it's not bad. My Topamax side effects were baaaaad.[/quote']

Yeah. I agree on topamax. I took that for years. It was horrible.

I just started on Gabapentin last week and gradually increased to 300mg. I'm have a weird sensation that's hard to describe and I'm wondering if it could be from the Gabapentin. It's a feeling like you get when you go over a hill really fast and your stomach kinda drops only this is happening in my brain. It's feels like I am almost fainting, but it lasts a half a second and then it's over. This feeling hits me about once every minute or two and it's making it really hard to concentrate on my work. I was wondering if anyone else had this feeling? I'm going to call my rheumy about it tomorrow to see about lowering the dosage to see if it will help.

I also just finished tapering off of Cymbalta, so it may be lingering withdrawal.

I don't get that feeling but I take it at night only so I'm asleep... I don't really get any feelings I know of from it.

I've been taking Gabapentin for 12 yrs. Its also used for nerve pain. I take 1200mg 3x a day. When I first. Started taking it it made me feel like I was living in a dream. Not anymore. My dr told me to continue everytning but birth control pills. They increase my chance of blood clots.

Btw (probly tmi): condoms suck!!!

Yeah. I agree on topamax. I took that for years. It was horrible.

What were your side effects on Topamax? I'm supposed to begin taking it for migraines...

What were your side effects on Topamax? I'm supposed to begin taking it for migraines...

My worst side effect was the "word loss." Basically it made it so when I talked, i couldn't find the words to say. They'd be on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't remember the word. Or sometimes I'd just randomly stop talking in the middle of a sentence. Or, I'd be talking and the completely wrong words would come out even though I didn't mean to say them. It got to the point where I felt like I was coming across as stupid to people for my inability to communicate.

My worst side effect was the "word loss." Basically it made it so when I talked' date=' i couldn't find the words to say. They'd be on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't remember the word. Or sometimes I'd just randomly stop talking in the middle of a sentence. Or, I'd be talking and the completely wrong words would come out even though I didn't mean to say them. It got to the point where I felt like I was coming across as stupid to people for my inability to communicate.[/quote']

Wow, that's insane.. My neurologist never mentioned any of that..

I couldn't remember words was the worst. It made some foods taste weird. I didn't like ice cream while I was taking it. It made my hair fall out.