Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Avoiding burnout

I've been an exercise fiend several times in my life. Ill get really into it and about 3-4 months in it fizzles out.

Well here I am, super into it and scared that ill burn out on it. I'm keeping it fresh and being creative with my exercise. Biking, walk/jogging, walk DVD, DDP yoga, t tapp etc. I use a heart rate monitor and love watching how many calories I'm burning an then challenging myself, etc.

How else do you keep yourself from getting bored? I'm not joining a gym until winter, I plan on taking full advantage of at least the weekends in summer. Also, we can't really hike in Missouri. At least not near me. It's a bummer really.

What's your thing? How do you keep motivated?

Find new goals to work towards, like a specific race or challenge. A group of us are preparing for a 5K mud run (obstacle run) in October. When that is over, I will find my next goal/challenge - perhaps something completely different. It helps to have a goal and a focus to keep you motivated! Just be sure to find a new goal or focus as soon as you complete one.

When I was thin many years ago, I also got into triathloning because I got burned out on just running - the training and racing variety was good to help keep me motivated.

Finding a friend or a group to exercise with really helps to keep you accountable!

And if you can afford to, buy some new, super-cute workout clothes! Sometimes that helps to get me up and going.

It'll be different this time because you won't be able to eat the calories back and you will get results! What I am going to do differently is not give myself more than one day of rest a week. I don't want to lose motivation either and when something gets too easy or repetitive, I'll challenge myself and switch it up. Don't expect to fail. Failure isn't an option anymore!

"Amytug"........is there anything in particular that you enjoy about the gym? I know the working out from home thing works for a lot of people and is very convenient, but sometimes getting out to a gym or a busy (with other people) place to walk can be more fun. How about walking around the mall? Just wonder if it would be more interesting/fun to get away from the house to do your exercise...other than the walking close to your house? Just grasping at a few things here. How about a workout partner, do you have one? Maybe the socializing (in moderation :P ) will give you the motivation to look forward to the exercise? Good luck and try to be as creative as you can!

Thank you all for your ideas and encouragement-

Swimmom- I'm having a hard time finding time to d c25k and don't have good shoes, but that is a goal of mine eventually. I'd love to do any of those fun runs!! Probably next summer.

I take my kids to walks in the lark with me and I'm kindof a loner. I think I push myself harder when I'm only focusing on me and my burn and my breathing etc. yanno? I may invite someone on days I need extra motivation to get out an about tho.

Oh new clothes!! I was just planning in that next weekend. Woohoo! Do they make anything hot pink in xl? What style/brand do you recommend?

Nicolanz- you're right, it IS different this time! I allow myself one day or less a week off. What do you do for exercise?

Other guy whose name I've forgotten- :D

I ride w the kids around the neighborhood. Walks at the park. Lots of hills there! I take my kids one at a time. (There are 6) thy provide entertainment and sometimes we race etc. hehe

About the gym. I have figured ill join in winter or when it gets too hot out to enjoy moving outside. It's on the to do list. I LOVE working out at the gym but I don't enjoy being there when there are a lot of people there. "/ lol maybe I should call and see when they are least busy. Years ago I went at 5 am before work. LOVED IT. now that I'm a stay at home mom mornings aren't an option. planning the gym though, does motivate me. By the time im a little bored with home workouts ill have the gym. Then when winter is over ill have home workouts again. I hope I find a way to make it work!!

Oh, also!! I WILL in line skate next year. I WILL!! I bought a really good quality pair online a few years ago and they didn't fit my fat ankles. Next year they WILL.

I do Jillian michaels DVDs. I have a collection!

I have a collection of Bob Harper DVDs! Aren't we the pair. Lol. I have all the biggest loser DVD (very helpful 5-7 years go), a cardio DVD, a weight lifting DVD (never really got into this one), a yoga DVD (need to spend more time on this) and a strength training DVD (my current focus with Bob - loving it mixed in with my other workouts). Love his style of training. I am sure it is very complimentary to Jillian. The cool part is a lot of these are cheap from TJ Max, Ross and other discount stores.

Lol I get mine on Amazon. 7-10 bucks!

I'll have to yry Bob too!

Dang girl, you're a rock star!! What's your favorite? I did 30 day shred a while back (years) and oh my gosh!!

I'd try again tho.

To keep myself motivated I set outlandish goals. Before I could finish a 20 mile bike ride I registered to do a 100 mile charity ride. I knew that I would have to push myself to get to that point. I am also a strong self motivator I lift alone, bike alone and run alone. I challenge my self to get a better time per mile, go longer distances push more weight. I use a heart rate monitor and the digifit program to track my stats. I have progressed to being able to complete up to 66miles on the bike in a single day. When I feel like I want to quit I have a picture from right before I was diagnosed with Diabetes that I keep on my phone, I look at that and know I don't want to go backwards. It drives me to keep moving forward to become a better, healthier, stronger version of myself.

To keep myself motivated I set outlandish goals. Before I could finish a 20 mile bike ride I registered to do a 100 mile charity ride. I knew that I would have to push myself to get to that point. I am also a strong self motivator I lift alone' date=' bike alone and run alone. I challenge my self to get a better time per mile, go longer distances push more weight. I use a heart rate monitor and the digifit program to track my stats. I have progressed to being able to complete up to 66miles on the bike in a single day. When I feel like I want to quit I have a picture from right before I was diagnosed with Diabetes that I keep on my phone, I look at that and know I don't want to go backwards. It drives me to keep moving forward to become a better, healthier, stronger version of myself.[/quote']

That was awesome and woah you're doing fantastic!!!

I have more questions for all- how do you know when you're doing too much/getting obsessive? Do I have to take a day off? If I'm working out pretty hard every day right now (I also have a heart rate monitor and wouldn't live without it now) if I stall will I have to push EVEN harder?

I LOVE exercise!!! A few weeks ago I hated it. Go figure.

I am not an exercise lover. Not now, not ever. But I do get up and walk with friends as often as 4 days per week. I have to exercise first thing in the morning. I simply won't do it later. And I'm planning to also start taking a morning exercise class with a buddy. I have a good friend that does exercise class in the evening, but I just won't do it.

I buy exercise clothes at Target since I got in non-extended sizes, and I bought at Walmart when I still wore woman's sizes. Target has cute stuff in XL through XS I have worked my way down to S now. I'll never be an XS again. Too tall and too old.

Lynda

That was awesome and woah you're doing fantastic!!!

I have more questions for all- how do you know when you're doing too much/getting obsessive? Do I have to take a day off? If I'm working out pretty hard every day right now (I also have a heart rate monitor and wouldn't live without it now) if I stall will I have to push EVEN harder?

I LOVE exercise!!! A few weeks ago I hated it. Go figure.

I am one of those people that I can never give it enough. I try to do something atleast six days a week. Your body will tell you when you are doing to much. Not paying attention I fell off my bike, i clip in to the peddels and forgot I was clipped in tried to put the foot that was attached to the bike down and it was still attached you get the picture, I banged my knee up pretty good. I kept going I didn't listen to my body. I haven't ridden in like a week because of it trying to allow for it to heal.

I have learned, as i have lost weight, to listen to the queues my body gives me. It can be tuff some times I like to push myself. I take atleast 1 day off. I go 110% every time.