Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety

Question...

I have almost all my Christmas shopping done.

My house has been cleaned, you know in all those little spots you want done before people come over.

I have my menu and grocery list made out for Christmas.

My decorations inside and out are done.

Ive worked my butt off to be ready this year, and I'm still starting to feel the anxiety creeping up. I need tips to help me squash these feelings, I just want to relax and enjoy these holidays. Aside from alcohol (which I may resort too), any ideas out there??

I get completely anxious myself.....and my "solution" this year was to STAY HOME XMAS DAY WITH JUST MR YODA AND ME!!! (I am so excited about the fact it will be a stress free day on Xmas day ...it hasn't been like that in I don't know how long!!!).

Of course I'm not advocating "avoidance" but it is working for me this year!! LOL.

Seriously though Cloe, it sounds like you have done all the right thing...and you will be prepared...just keep telling yourself to relax and enjoy....don't sweat the small stuff & yup...have that rye and ginger!!

Question...

I have almost all my Christmas shopping done.

My house has been cleaned, you know in all those little spots you want done before people come over.

I have my menu and grocery list made out for Christmas.

My decorations inside and out are done.

Ive worked my butt off to be ready this year, and I'm still starting to feel the anxiety creeping up. I need tips to help me squash these feelings, I just want to relax and enjoy these holidays. Aside from alcohol (which I may resort too), any ideas out there??

Do you know what exactly causes the anxiety? IS it family? Too much to do? etc? Once you can pin point what it is, then you can find a technique to help you cope. Deep breathing and warm baths are always soothing...but we need to really look inside so we can process and figure out why we feel how we feel. Good luck! If you would like to private message me please feel free :)

Hi. I start feeling anxious about Christmas around September. This year I am not too bad because we are actually going to do what I want. Hmmm.

AngelaT is one smart sugar-free cookie.

I have a complete physical and mental breakdown every year! so i have absolurely no intelligent advice whatsoever. I usually resort to booze and chocolate tho.

Booze sounds good...but seriously...I have anxiety about the Christmas season. Growing up Christmas was a sad time for my mother, never had enough money (I grew up with 6 other siblings) and she was usually depressed. Even though she tried to hide it from us, it rubbed off on the kids especially the sensitive ones namely me.

I also grew up in a town that there was a pedophile ring involving priests, cops, lawyers, doctors, parole officers and teachers. It is hard to find a family in the town I live in that was not affected by this scandal. Except for 1 teacher all of the pedophiles involved got off on technicalities or committed suicide or died of natural deaths. There were so many official involved that they were successful in covering up most of what actually happened. Our own parish priest was named as one of the perps. Because of all of this I can't walk into a church without feeling anger. Christmas is just another day that reminds me that I should go back to chuck. There has been 2 inquiries that did nothing to reveal the truth and we are currently going through a third inquiry. True story check out this link http://www.theinquiry.ca/ Wow I am rambling.....So much to say about the stresses of Christmas......Cloe, relax can it be that bad?

Wow Louise....I remember that (lived in Ottawa at the time); I didn't know it (the inquiry) was happening let alone still going on. It all makes the news when it "comes out" but then the public generally never hears about it again; it is like it isn't news anymore. Why isn't this getting more attention? Why isn't there a story about it on Canada AM.....it is ridiculous that is has been kept out of the news (or have I been living under a rock since Feb?).

I have a very good friend who was a social worker in Cornwall (until recently) specializing in children's assistance and god knows she had her work cut out for her.

I've been at the NavCan Centre too many times to count (for business).

Thanks for bringing it to my attention again!

Yikes, Wheezy.

I believe that my stress is due to my perfectism(?), dumb eh??

I don't know why I let is bother me, I dont want to let it bother me.

Ya, rye&ginger, lots of ice, sounds good!!!

Be sure to add some Protein to that alcohol, you wanna be healthy :).

My favorite is a little ice, frozen strawberries, 1/2 a banana, couple of scoops of rice Protein, (has a nutty taste), some low carb orange juice, a splash of Vodka, blend well, sip slowly to avoid brain freeze, sit back and relax.

I use to suffer anxiety attacks so bad in the past.....Christmas had to be perfect in everyway....the tree, the foods, the gifts...just like the crazy lady in that britcom "keeping up appearances". Then, one Christmas I realized that I was only stressed one in my group of family and friends....and that Christmas was going to happen no matter what, and the only thing my family and friends cared about was seeing each other and enjoying themselves. Gifts, a perfectly organized, cooked and served Christmas meal, an impecably clean house....none of that mattered to them....they were just anxious to get together to enjoy each others company.

So, I figured....if they don't care about everything that is stressing me out....then what the hell....I might as well relax and enjoy the season too. Also, I quickly learned to start delegating....I am not perfect and someone else's mashed potatoes at dinner would be just as good if not better than mine.....every little bit helps, when the load is lighter I can relax more.

Carol

Wow Louise....I remember that (lived in Ottawa at the time); I didn't know it (the inquiry) was happening let alone still going on. It all makes the news when it "comes out" but then the public generally never hears about it again; it is like it isn't news anymore. Why isn't this getting more attention? Why isn't there a story about it on Canada AM.....it is ridiculous that is has been kept out of the news (or have I been living under a rock since Feb?).

I have a very good friend who was a social worker in Cornwall (until recently) specializing in children's assistance and god knows she had her work cut out for her.

I've been at the NavCan Centre too many times to count (for business).

Thanks for bringing it to my attention again!

Wow Yoda, we could have passed each other on the street....Next time you go to NavCan, stop at the hospital (lab) and say HI!