Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op and only lost 5lbs?!? Why?

I only lost 5 lbs since surgery and I don't understand why. Is this normal? When I did my pre op liquid diet I had lost 10lbs in one week so why is this different? I actually didn't eat anything for several days and I'm still on full liquids! Please help

I wouldn't worry, they pump you with a ton of liquids, plus your body is in starvation mode trying to hold on to what its got. It will start to come off soon! Keep at it!

Pre-op loss could have been some Water weight. I gained 10 lbs during my hospital stay due to the IV fluids, so take that into account, too!

If you're upset about 5 pounds lost in one week, this whole process is going to send you into a horrible depression! Haha! Celebrate!

I only lost 3-5 my first week, your body is freaking out and they pumped you up w/the iv's no worries heck be happy w/5lbs in one week that is awesome and lose enjoy it,

I only lost 5 lbs since surgery and I don't understand why. Is this normal? When I did my pre op liquid diet I had lost 10lbs in one week so why is this different? I actually didn't eat anything for several days and I'm still on full liquids! Please help

Everybody be cool...be cool..., we'll get through this! :)

5 pounds just 1 week after surgery sounds like a good bit of weight to me, and probably ideal or maybe even a little faster than some of us (those looking back) would've preferred. Losing more than a pound or two a week is probably too fast in my opinion. Losing weight faster than 1-2 pounds a week will destroy your muscle. Yes, you'll lose some fat too, but the faster the rate over a pound a week or so in a week, the higher percentage of that weight that will be muscle. Of course this early on after surgery it's nearly impossible to slow the weight loss down to just a pound or two a week. I know I lost most of my weight pre-op and the first 2 months after my surgery and I lost it fairly quickly during that time period.....and my old hard earned muscle virtually disappeared. After the 2 month post-op mark or so (when the weight loss slowed), I had to work my a$$ off in the gym to get my strength/muscle back and it really kicked my butt. In my opinion, you are worrying way too much (which was the case for most all of us right after surgery), we've been there and we know the feeling of worrying that the weight is not falling off fast enough. Besides, I would think 5 pounds a week for the first couple of weeks after surgery is probably par for the course. But I don't have any statistics to back that up, I'm just going on my own experience and that of others on this board. Hang in there, stick to your Dr's orders and you'll be fine. :) Good luck!

Thanks!

Ok, so I see this is an old post..... BUT I am so glad I found it. This is exactly what has happened with me (so far).

Pre-op I lost 16 lbs and 1st week post-op only shows 5 lbs. I started to feel like there may have been a problem, but from what I read here.... I am seeing it a lot differently and in a better light. Now I can breath a sigh of relief.