Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused. Can we or cant we..?

I've been reading and reading.. Trying to get as much info as I can. I am still pre op I'm hoping for a surgery date in june or July. I've read where some patients and surgeons say you CAN'T have certain things ever again... Like soda, alcohol, coffee, candy etc. then some say it is fine just in small amounts. I am willing to give all of these things up, I'm just trying to get a straight forward answer.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My surgeon did not place any such restrictions on me. In fact, he specifically said I could have all of them but not before 3 months out, in very small quantities. He also said post surgery some of these things may no longer agree with me. Soda is probably one that won't because the carbonation might be painful.

Honestly, I haven't had the desire yet (except coffe, which I have been able to drink since 6 weeks out) but I am looking forward to a glass of wine.

I drink coffee every day, have since about 6 weeks. I never have carbonated beverages, probably never will, or at least it will be minimal and rare No alchohol for 1 year, Should avoid candy, cake and junk slider foods, there is no nutritional value and will not help with weight loss. Those are the rules of my plan. I do think I plan on living a normal life, and while I never plan to make a habit of them, I think an occassional treat is fine.

I was told no soda and no sugar. However, I think foods in moderation are alright. You can't avoid sugar altogether in certain things. I won't go back to soda, it's my weakness!

My surgeon also told me that there was not anything that I could Never have again. He also said there were prob going to be things that didn't agree with me, or that I would find I no longer wanted. I am 4 months out & the only thing so far that doesn't agree with me is raw onions! I HAVE had a diet coke or 2 (haven't finished them, but drank prob 1/2) with no problem. My surgeon's view it...try it, if it hurts or makes you sick...don't do it again! Works for me!

Thanks for the help.

A lot of the "rules" have to do with certain foods that are a) really unhealthy or b)can be trigger foods for other bad eating habits. Realistically, there isn't really a lot of foods that you "can't" eat. Carbonation can make you uncomfortable, high fat food and high sugar foods might make you nauseous. Alcohol and coffee are typically not great on a perfectly intact stomach, so a surgically modified stomach has more chances for additional problems, plus all the empty calories. All these things do not happen to everyone and a lot of these so called rules apply to those that had bypass surgery and may not necessarily lend themselves to the sleeve surgery. I really don't have a problem eating or drinking anything. However, I have made a commitment to be as healthy as possible, using the surgery as a tool to restrict my caloric intake. I might have a different mindset than a lot of people that feel that eliminating certain foods or drink, is denying things in their life that they must have. You are going to get a lot of answers to this question, just like you will get a lot of answers about diet, exercise, activities post op etc. Every Dr. seems to follow a different playbook. Really there seems to be no real fast rules to anything post op. My suggestion is to follow faithfully what you Dr and nutritionist plan out for you. That way you have the proper support system in place and they can answer your questions in a way that makes the best sense for you particular situation.

I agree! Although I know there is nothing I can "never" have again....I have also made a commitment to a healthier lifestyle! I refuse to go back to the fast food eating junk food junkie that I was before! I have a tool....& I'm using it wisely! I am pretty much staying on target, I have had a bite or two of things on special occasions...but I add it to MFP & accept responsibility for it! I plan to stay very strict until I reach my goal, then I will prob be a little more lax & allow myself a treat every so often....but I plan to eat the healthy way I've been doing from now on...more Protein & less carbs!

I do not eat these things now because I am following my own "low calorie" diet and also trying to do high Protein. If I drink something other than Water it is diet green tea or diet coke which I'm aware I may have to cut out post op. if I have a sugary treat it is a very rare occasion. I was hoping to find out if there were things on the NEVER AGAIN list or if that is more for RNY or band patients.

I think John said it better than I could, but I will add this....some people choose to abstain from certain unhealthy foods and drinks because they want to get to goal (quicker). Some keep those things in their life but on a limited and controlled basis. And some cannot because certain foods may trigger their desires for more unhealthy food. It's up to you to figure out which path you can handle.

If you doctor tells you a certain food is forbidden for a certain amount of time, it's likely because he wants your sleeve to have the best chance of healing and for you to have the best chance of reaching goal.

The only restriction that my surgeon gave me was drinking alcohol. He told me of one gal who actually passed out after having only one drink. Considering that I am not even a social drinker, as I probably only have one or two drinks a year, I decided to just stay away from it. It hits me hard pre-surgery, so I'm not sure what post-surgery would be like. (Although I used to be able to drink a lot in my early 20s.)

Otherwise, caffeine is okay, diet soda is okay. I prefer to drink that "Ice" brand of fizzy Water as it isn't quite as carbonated as a diet soda. Still fizzy, but not too much. Enough to clean out the pipes in the morning. I can't take big gulps of anything fizzy as it makes me just want to burp it all up.

I drink beer and liquor just as often as I did preop, I just get drunk a lot faster. It's more of a personal decision.

Caffeine is like crack to me and I avoid it at all costs. I was up for 2 days after a cup of tea lol

Of all the rules, the only one I haven't broken is the one about medicine. Funny enough, I haven't had a pill since preop, all my Vitamins are powder or chewable.< /p>

Do what you feel comfortable with. You're sleeved for life, so as long as you feel comfortable doing something, you'll be fine.

SeriouslyChange- have you been successful with your weight loss?

SeriouslyChange- have you been successful with your weight loss?

I'm down about 105 and counting :D

Wow nice job!! And how far out are you if you don't mind me asking?