Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you mostly sit at work all day?

Hello all! I have a desk job. I'm sitting at the computer practically all day. I also recently decided not to join the gym right now due to paying bills!! lol...So, I just want to share with you how I overcome my obstacle of having a sedentary job. I get two 15min breaks. I put on my 5lb ankle weights & walk on breaks. I use dumb bells & do arm exercises while sitting. I also use a "thigh master" thingy while I'm sitting at my desk. I've found ways to get exercise at work. There's no excuse for me! :-) Maybe this will motivate some or give some a few ideas. I'll join the gym eventually cause I will be using the pool & I love exercise classes but not yet. Best of luck everyone.

I'm a store clerk at a little convenience store. It's not a sit down job but I do spend a lot of time just standing behind the counter.. I've been sneaking in squats and lunges between customers. I also go out of my way to stock shelves when it's really slow even when they don't really need it...

I also do laps around the store with whatever I can think of to add intensity... Yes I've been caught more than once by customers while doing a lap around the store with "high knees" or "running grapevine" *shrug* nothing embarrassing about trying to be more active!

I have been thinking about getting ankle weights as well. I sit for 8 hrs. a day, but before work and during lunch, I try to walk 10,000 steps or 4.5 miles. I am only able to do the 10k 3 or 4 times a week, I'm still working my way up to 5 days a week.

post-46516-13813665042283_thumb.jpg

I'm a store clerk at a little convenience store. It's not a sit down job but I do spend a lot of time just standing behind the counter.. I've been sneaking in squats and lunges between customers. I also go out of my way to stock shelves when it's really slow even when they don't really need it...

I also do laps around the store with whatever I can think of to add intensity... Yes I've been caught more than once by customers while doing a lap around the store with "high knees" or "running grapevine" *shrug* nothing embarrassing about trying to be more active!

Haha! That's funny about the high knees and running grapevine!! That's what it takes though seriously. The drive & creativity! Thumbs up!

I have been thinking about getting ankle weights as well. I sit for 8 hrs. a day' date=' but before work and during lunch, I try to walk 10,000 steps or 4.5 miles. I am only able to do the 10k 3 or 4 times a week, I'm still working my way up to 5 days a week.

[/quote']

I'm going to start tracking my steps too. I know I still don't get enough in.

I work 12 hour shifts, midnights and all we do is sit. I've been trying to get up a couple times a night just to get a little movement in. I also occasionally will sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair. It's fun and gets the body moving a little bit. I also take the stairs instead of the elevator but its only one flight so it's not that big of a deal but I figure any movement is better than no movement.

I work 12 hour shifts' date=' midnights and all we do is sit. I've been trying to get up a couple times a night just to get a little movement in. I also occasionally will sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair. It's fun and gets the body moving a little bit. I also take the stairs instead of the elevator but its only one flight so it's not that big of a deal but I figure any movement is better than no movement.[/quote']

So true! :-) I agree.

I feel ya! I sit all day also. Walking on breaks and lunch is super good!

I work nights as a telephone operator at a hospital , I walk in place at my desk. Kind of like a march lifting my legs high. Sometimes I do a half hour or more, sometimes I do 10 minutes per hour. I can still get my phone if it rings.

Desk job here too! The gym I've been going to for the past 2+ years is really good and I'm lucky to only have to pay $20 a month for my gym membership. It's a block and a half from my office, so I walk there and lift at lunch Mon-Fri. It's very convenient for me and I'm very fortunate to have a gym that's so cheap and close to work. Sitting the rest of the day makes me very eager to get out at lunch and exercise......very therapeutic for me.

100% desk job as a software engineer here. I try and make sure my water bottle is always filled every hour. At the hour I get up and do a quick set or two of lunges and air squats and some deep upper body stretches. The air lunges help a lot with circulation in the lower 1/2 of body. I use my roller to straighten my back whenever I feel it starts to get achy from sitting. I usually do a quick mile run on my treadmill with some light upper body weight exercises when up at 5:30am, start work at 6am and then longer run (5k or 10 k) at 9am. The run gives my body a new lease on life when retuning to the chair. I will also do a quick mile after lunch on my treadmill with some light upper body weight exercises to recharge for the next 4-5 hours of work. If a non running day, I will do cross fit right after work. This plan has been working pretty well now for a couple months and gives me the energy needed to be focused and efficient at my desk job.

100% desk job as a software engineer here. I try and make sure my Water bottle is always filled every hour. At the hour I get up and do a quick set or two of lunges and air squats and some deep upper body stretches. The air lunges help a lot with circulation in the lower 1/2 of body. I use my roller to straighten my back whenever I feel it starts to get achy from sitting. I usually do a quick mile run on my treadmill with some light upper body weight exercises when up at 5:30am, start work at 6am and then longer run (5k or 10 k) at 9am. The run gives my body a new lease on life when retuning to the chair. I will also do a quick mile after lunch on my treadmill with some light upper body weight exercises to recharge for the next 4-5 hours of work. If a non running day, I will do cross fit right after work. This plan has been working pretty well now for a couple months and gives me the energy needed to be focused and efficient at my desk job.

That is awesome! You are very active & that's a major part of success. You encourage me to step it up a notch. THanks! I did get up early this morn before work to walk/jog on Tmill, though. Well, I actually shouldn't have been jogging yet due to my R knee, but it didn't hurt or swell up...Thank God. I just felt the run in me & I just wanted to take off. So I did. Sorry Doc!!! LOL...he just told me to get stronger & lose more weight before I run. That's all. I'm a very beginner runner.

That is awesome! You are very active & that's a major part of success. You encourage me to step it up a notch. THanks! I did get up early this morn before work to walk/jog on Tmill' date=' though. Well, I actually shouldn't have been jogging yet due to my R knee, but it didn't hurt or swell up...Thank God. I just felt the run in me & I just wanted to take off. So I did. Sorry Doc!!! LOL...he just told me to get stronger & lose more weight before I run. That's all. I'm a very beginner runner.[/quote']

That is a good suggestion by your doctor to lose weight before running in order to take stress of your knees, ankles, feet etc. Also be careful about gait, stride and posture when starting to run in order to minimize injury. One style of running that helped me in the beginning is called ChiRunning. I have written a fair amount about it if you search through some of my older posts.

Desk job for me, too. I'm fortunate that I work in a hospital, and can move around at will, unless I'm in a meeting. My office on the 4th floor, so I make sure to take the stairs up in the morning, and every chance I get in between as I go from floor to floor. Now that the weather is starting to turn nice, I was thinking about walking on my lunch hour. The ankle weights and thigh master are a great idea, too! Since my surgery, I went from not being able to make it up the steps without resting between floors to being able to easily go up all four flights at once. That's a sense of accomplishment!

Desk job for me' date=' too. I'm fortunate that I work in a hospital, and can move around at will, unless I'm in a meeting. My office on the 4th floor, so I make sure to take the stairs up in the morning, and every chance I get in between as I go from floor to floor. Now that the weather is starting to turn nice, I was thinking about walking on my lunch hour. The ankle weights and thigh master are a great idea, too! Since my surgery, I went from not being able to make it up the steps without resting between floors to being able to easily go up all four flights at once. That's a sense of accomplishment![/quote']

It sure is! That's awesome.