Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would love a Revision

Hello all! I was banded in 2006. Not even 4 months banded and I got pregnant and then pregnant again lol. I was told I couldnt get pregnant...they were wrong :). My kids take up most or all my time. One of my children has special needs and his needs were being met first. Now its my time..

I hated the band since I had it put in . I lost 40lbs kept 20 off. I always had issues with too much fill not enough fill. Some days were so bad I couldnt even drink Water. I was fed up. Recently I had my band unfilled. It was terrible in my opinion. I dont think I researched it enough. I've made the decision to do the sleeve. I've been struggling like most to lose weight on my own. My questions are now what to do? I Still have the band. Do I go back to my original surgeon or can I seek a new one? What do I need to do? Do I have to do that whole process again like lap band? Which I don't mind doing. Will my insurance give me a hard time?

I thank you all in advance!

T

Hi. You are not alone. I was banded in 2007. I lost 60 wonderful pounds. I was still obese, but it made a big difference for me and I was happy with the weight loss and new found freedom. I think I had the same fill experience as you....fill-unfill-fill-can't swallow my own spit-unfill-eat every and any thing-fill-can't eat anything except slider foods-weight gain. It has been a constant struggle. Once I learned how to eat around my band, it was all downhill.

My surgeon advised me to revise to sleeve last year (so you might want to start there if you still trust your surgeon and have his/her support), but I resisted. I didn't want another surgery and I didn't want to acknowledge that the band and I didn't work well together. We (the band and I) failed. It's been hard for me to accept. Finally, September 2012 I started really considering a revision. I went to another "initial" seminar (with the same surgeon) and heard everything all over again. After 5 years, I need a refresher. Long story short (is it too late for a short story? lol), I am approved. I had to get medical clearance again which was no problem at all. My doctor wrote it up better than I could have myself. I did not do psych again, but I did the NUT visit. I was approved so quickly (2-3 days) that it was further reassurance that I needed to move forward with the revision. Approval is easier for those who have been compliant with getting fills, says my surgeon. I got approved, but I put everything on hold, because I was not mentally ready to do it, but I am now. I'm calling my surgeon's office next week to ask them to schedule me. I hope to be in the April Sleever Achievers club.

Bottom line, start at the beginning. Pick up the phone and call your surgeon and tell them what your thinking then go from there. Also, call your insurance co. Please update. I will too. Good luck.

If you haven't been compliant, don't let it be a deterrent. Call your doctor to discuss your options.

I'm looking into my 3rd revision (banded, rebanded with plication and now a sleeve). You should definitely talk to your surgeon, if you have a good relationship with him/her and feel comfortable. I actually switched surgeons for my sleeve.

Good luck to you!

I agree with all of thee above. If you trust and had a good relationship with your surgeon then go back. My surgeon told me that a majority of his surgeries last year were band to sleeve/bypass revisions.

What do you mean you were banded and told you couldn't get pregnant?

What do you mean you were banded and told you couldn't get pregnant?

Sorry what I wrote sounds confusing. Should of said I was told I couldn't have anymore children then got banded then got pregnant 2 times.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches