Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my VSG 8 days ago. I'm forcing in my Water intake but I haven't had any Protein Shakes yet? I haven't had more than 200 calories per day. I'm sure that'll increase w/ time. My concern is I haven't been able to drink any Protein shakes so my protein intake is ZERO! Is this going to stunt my weight loss?

Don't worry about Protein yet...fluids are the more important thing right now, take it day by day....soon you will be able to stomach protein. You will do fine. :)

I had my VSG 8 days ago. I'm forcing in my Water intake but I haven't had any Protein shakes yet? I haven't had more than 200 calories per day. I'm sure that'll increase w/ time. My concern is I haven't been able to drink any Protein Shakes so my Protein intake is ZERO! Is this going to stunt my weight loss?

Not exactly. The lack of protein will cause your body to get the amino acids it needs by breaking down muscle tissue that is already on your body. So initially you will actually appear to lose weight faster than you really are. Once you are getting your protein in your body will naturally go about restoring the muscle Fiber it was "borrowing" from which at that time your loss will appear to slow down, but you will still be losing inches.

This is nothing to be alarmed about but it is incentive to get your hydration in & start adding some protein relatively soon. As always, hydration is priority #1. But as soon as you are getting 60oz/day of liquids then start converting some of those liquids into protein supplements.

Forgot to mention that at Walmart they have Protein Shots. If you get them really cold it isn't that bad tasting....fruit punch was the best for me. I think they have about 27 grams Protein in them. They are easier to get down then the shakes. I used them to make up the difference when I couldn't handle drinking any more shakes.

Hope your feeling better and try to get some in today even if it's a sip or two every hour

During this phase the lack of Protein won't have much affect on your weight loss, but it will make you weaker and slow the healing process. The quicker you can start getting the protein in the quicker you will start feeling better and getting your energy back. As was already mentioned the protein shots(link) are a good way to start if you can't handle the shakes there also the Isopure plus drinks(link) that are kind of like gator ade which some people find easier to drink. Good Luck.

Forgot to mention that at Walmart they have Protein shots. If you get them really cold it isn't that bad tasting....fruit punch was the best for me. I think they have about 27 grams Protein in them. They are easier to get down then the shakes. I used them to make up the difference when I couldn't handle drinking any more shakes.< /div>

Unfortunately these Protein Shots are useless. They are made with collagen protein(aka gelatin). They cannot be absorbed by the human body.

Sorry to be so blunt about this, but I want to be completely clear. These so called protein shots should be removed from the market because they misrepresented their product by suggesting that it can provide you with your much needed protein, which it cannot. These shots IMO do more harm than good. The harm I am referring to is tricking people into believing they are nourishing their bodies when they are not.

Unfortunately these Protein shots are useless. They are made with collagen protein(aka gelatin). They cannot be absorbed by the human body.

Sorry to be so blunt about this, but I want to be completely clear. These so called Protein Shots should be removed from the market because they misrepresented their product by suggesting that it can provide you with your much needed Protein, which it cannot. These shots IMO do more harm than good. The harm I am referring to is tricking people into believing they are nourishing their bodies when they are not.

What about the New whey Protein tubes with 42g of protein... they claim to have the "good" protein in it... http://www.dietdirect.com/ids-new-whey-42.html

What about the New Whey Protein tubes with 42g of protein... they claim to have the "good" Protein in it... http://www.dietdirect.com/ids-new-whey-42.html

Unfortunately No. They are predominately collagen protein. They contain a minuscule amount of whey.

At this point there is only 1 protein shot/ tube on the market that is not garbage. It is named "Yes Whey" they are only available online to my knowledge. But TBH, I have never tried them, but have not come across anyone that says they don't taste horrible.

I had VSG on 3/13/13 and asked my Dr. about this very thing. He runs the entire Center for Bariatric Excellence at one of the best hospitals in Florida. He said don't worry about the Protein Shakes the first week after I have started ingesting food. I started eating small amounts of sugar free Jello, chicken or beef broth, tea, coffee, crystal light (clear liquids only) on Thursday evening the 14th, so now every Thursday is my switch day to the next phase. He told me that but then said after I felt comfortable with this and was getting lots of CLEAR FLUIDS IF I FELT I WANTED TO TRY my Premier Protein drinks (30 grams of Protein, 160 calories), I could try it. Since I love chocolate, I am going to give it a try tomorrow as I am feeling way better now. Hope this helps.

I am one week out and didn't have much luck when I mixed with milk so I tried coconut milk and it worked great. I use Jay Robb Protein Powder which mixes up really thin... you can even add it to sf juices or Water and you taste no thickness at all.

On my Day 8 post surg, when I switched from Clear Liquids ONLY to FULL LIQUIDS. I decided to try a cream Soup. I had on hand, Walmart brand Broccili and cheese soup, 99% fat free. There were small pieces of broccoli so after I cooked it, I used my Quisinart Immersion Blender and zapped all the pieces into oblivion. Worked like a charm. I added to it AFTER cooking (not more than 140 degrees hot) one measure of Unjury brand unflavored Protein. To make it, I used Walmart's LACTOSE FREE Reduced Fat Milk. (4 0z. and then 4 oz. water) It keeps about a month in the frig unlike regular milk. It was DELICIOUS. I had about 4 ounces and it was just wonderful - tasty, creamy, very satisfying. For the Protein Shakes I am using Premier Protein vanilla and chocolate, pre-mixed, 11 oz each available at Sams Club in a 12 pack for $19.98.

I like the unjury brand Protein shakes. Also the special K chocolate was not bad either.

I have an hawai ice machine. Im living off of. I get my Water from shaved ice several times a day then I add the Protein shake and eat it with the shaved ice. NOT to bad. Good luck. Im almost 3 weeks out! Feeling pretty good