Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to get some opinion about my decision to get VSG. I am 35, 6’2” and stay around 260. I have no diabetes, no high blood pressure, and no other health issues other than my excess weight. (sometimes my knees really hurt) I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I was able to get down to 215 about 2 years ago when I was in Afghanistan but I was working out 2 hours a day and eating pretty strict. I cannot keep up that pace with my current job. So I have slowly got back to 255 or so and I am done with my eating and weight loss being #1 in my life and occupying most of my thoughts. I think a common stigma of this surgery is that only morbidly obese people really need it and someone in my situation, fairly young and with a BMI around 35 is just being “lazy” and “taking the easy way out”. I am looking for a few opinions from the community, Thanks

February 28th, I'm fairly new to this forum. Sorry for two replies. But, believe me being in the pre-op stage - this is by no means taking the easy way out. I also, have multiple co-morbidities and every time I diet and am successful, I gain it back and then some. The social stigma is that overweight people are lazy, not always the case. Ultimately to have the surgery is a mental and physical journey that is tryingly hard at times. I can't tell you how many times during the day I want to back out. Ultimately, it is a personal decision. Think of a year from now? Where will you be? In my case - if I stay on this path that I'm on - I don't even want to think about it. Hope I helped! Good luck!

My bmi was at 40 so not as "small" as yours but... The one thing that caught my eye is that you struggled with your weight your whole life!

Well that we have in common. I am 46 if you want you can wait another 10 years like I did or you can choose to do it now :)

THIS IS NOT THE EASY WAY OUT!!

And no one has dared ever say that to me!

And if someone thought that I really don't care.

My BMI was 35 when I had surgery. 3 months later it is 27 and I am still losing weight. It is just so nice not to have to constantly think about my weight and the problems it causes. This surgery gave me a new enthusiasm for life, exercising, my body, sex and on and on. And I am 55. Go for it and don't look back!

Well, it does sound like you have comorbidities, but don't go to the doc for them. Your knee sounds to me like an issue for you. I am 35 BMI and with my back problems and osteoarthritis I have no problems having this surgery. I bounce around at times. I've been close to 40 and I know if I let this go any longer I will be over it. Each person is individual, but you aren't the only person with a BMI on here that is lower than 40.

I have a BMI of 36 and am waiting for my first surgeon apt.

I too have struggled with weight all my life.

Yes, I can diet and probably lose some weight but history has shown me I will never keep it off and I will end up putting on more.

My BMI of 36 puts me at high risk for diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and many other issues.

You can certainly try and lose and maintain your weight but what do you realistically think your chances are of maintaining a healthy weight for the rest of your life?

In my opinion, it's a big decision and you should take care of it now. If you've struggled with weight loss your entire life, something could be wrong brother. 35 is still young, get that taken care of and get to kicking ass on the back end. There's a chance you could maybe do the lap band and have success, but I'm sure your doctors will talk to you about that depending on how much you want to lose. Explore the options and go from there. It's no easy way out, hell just the insurance hoops you gotta jump through are more than a lot of folks would put up with, haha.

Thanks for all the replies. Mark, I already got denied by the insurance company so I am going to have to do it cash. I got a quote for everything including all pre op and 14 post op visits, 2 nights in the hospital for 12K.

Damn, that would be a factor for me, honestly. But if you can get the finances worked out, I would still look in to it. Have you thought about Mexico? A lot of people here have great success with getting sleeved in MX for about half the cost.

I had a lower BMI and went to MX to get it done. Come over to the MX forum, there are lots of folks like you who made the decision to stop the madness before we developed any more co-morbidiities and became even more over weight.

Mary

• Well, I work and live in Kuwait. So Mexico is kinda far. I was going to get it done here. I may be able to find a better price here but I just went to the "highest rated" place here.