Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys,

I'm being sleeved on the 21st of this month and I have a question about the goal weight I should aim for.my doctor has not set an expectation yet although I haven't had my preop appt yet. Anywho I looked up the ideal weight for my height and was shocked to see it was between 131-160 lbs. I don't want to set my expectation to high and really am a realist. My stats are 29 years old 5 feet 9 inches and currently weigh 276 with a bmi of 42. I was planning to shoot for 180 lbs but should I aim lower? Looking for someone with similar stats who can tell me what there goal is or what they were advised. Of course I will ask my nut and Dr this week but curious to hear from others.

My date the 21 my weight 277,my height the 5'6. I recently gained all this weight like in the past year . So I'm not use to it but however all my life I have been between 180-205 , so I wanted to set a goal of 150 something I never weighed. However I think that slow and steady is the right way. I see so many people get upset that they have a stop during there journey, however I think everything happens to people at a different pace . So this is my advice to you. Just be healthy and participate in a gym and do things slowly. :)

Well I am 5'8 and I am 51. When I got married I weighed 176 and was a size 12. I would be very happy to be back to that weight. I did work out a lot and was in good shape. That is my goal weight but also plan on getting back into with exercise along with the weight loss. I sued to do weight watchers and they always set my goal weight so low it felt unattainable. I'd rather have a realistic goal and if I get there and feel I still like to lose more than maybe go lower,

I would say there isn't NECESSARILY anything wrong with having a personal goal that is a little heavier than what your surgeon has in mind but he/she is probably basing their numbers off a BMI.

Generally in the healthcare community we are going to tell you to try your hardest to bring your BMI to a point that you are no longer considered obese or overweight because it shows that your weight loss surgery was successful and it also has an effect on things like insurance and whatnot. You will pay more weighing 180 than you would if you weighed 160, you see where I am going with this?

It's something you can discuss and they can tell you a little more why they set you at what they did.

I'm 5ft8 (173cm) and my dr actually set my goal higher than I expected at 80kg where id like to get to at least 70kg (154 pounds) I guess I'm jut going to see when I'm happy with the size I am :-)

I'm 26, 5'8" and I'm currently 277. My norm used to be 185, and at that weight, I was curvy, fabulous and loving it. Unfortunately over the past 2 years I've gained a lot of weight. I'm hoping after my surgery to be around 160-170. But all I really care about is being toned and healthy!!

My date is the 13th. Im 5'6 253lbs. My bmi is 40. I'm aiming first to go under 200. Hopefully it'll happen quick but a year from more I wanna weigh at least 150-160 lbs.

My date is 3/20 im 5'1 229 would be happy at 150 my ideal is 125 according to dr

My wife is 5'9" she was 150lbs when we met. Even at that she wasn't a rail. She was fit, small chested with a booty that was like....... POW!!!

I think that you just don't know until you get there. I am heavier then I expected to be at the size I am now fitting. My friends all tell me that my weight is right. Part of it is that i am 48 and getting thinner isn't necessarily better looking. I have curves, but i have a defined waist too.

Lets be honest here - I have two prioriities - good health and good looks. Doctors say that from a health perspective being 26 BMI is fine.. I won't see a big improvement getting down to 24 or 25. From a looks perspective, I already have a bony looking chest and my face doesn't need to be any thinner. I am settling in to weigh around 158 - my goal - even though I am only 5'5". I wear a size 8 in fitted non stretch pants. my tops are all mediums, no stretching or pulling to fit that either. That is comfortable for me as I have a solid build.

I work out alot and carry a fair amount of muscle. I have extra skin and I guess decades of being obese has given me thick strong and heavy bones too.

One way to look at it is body composition. Years ago I had one of those tests that calculates how much your bones, muscles, organs etc weigh. Then you factor in a healthy 20% or so (forgive me if I'm off here but going by memory) body fat and you'd have a good weight target. For me at 5'8" that put me at about 150 target. Personally, I can't even imagine!

I think one thing we tend to get wrong is if we've been overweight all our lives we tend to think we're "big boned" when we may not be!

My date is 3/20 im 5'1 229 would be happy at 150 my ideal is 125 according to dr

Nicole2013 our stats are pretty much the same. I am 5 1 and 216 my date is March 5 2013 . My ideal weight is 130 to 140 this was my weight before I became pregnant with my soon in 2002.

Nicole2013 our stats are pretty much the same. I am 5 1 and 216 my date is March 5 2013 . My ideal weight is 130 to 140 this was my weight before I became pregnant with my soon in 2002.

Looks like we shall be sleeve sisters :)

I'm right at 5"8' date=' 274. My ideal weight would be between 140-150.[/quote']

I looked mine up my ideal weight is 115 i can't even imagine that