Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas Pains....what a pain!

Hi everyone! I just got banded on Wednesday, Nov. 8th. I've been sleeping pretty much all the time since then. Yesterday and today I've had the horrible shoulder pains from gas and I can't seem to alieviate it. I have been taking Gas-x and that doesn't help. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle

I Feel Sorry For You Because I Was Banded On 9/05/06 And To This Date I Still Have Horrible Shoulder Pain. It Actually Keeps Me Up At Night. One Thing I Did Notice Is That If I Drink Anything Carbonated Or Any bread It Seems To Get Worse. Exercise Seems To Alieve It Some. Keep Track Of The Foods You Eat Or Drink And See When It Gets Worse. Then Stay Away From It. Maybe Since You Have Been sleeping Most Of The Time You Should Try To Start Walking I Know That Helped Me More Than Gas-x. Hope This Helped You Some. 40lbs Less Since 9/05. Good Luck It Gets Better. You Just Need To Refigure Your Body Out.

Don't worry, I had the same pain in my back and shoulders :sick It will disappear in a couple of days! I recommend that you walk as much as you can, trust me... the more you walk, the faster the pain dissapears. :)

Something that may help is to blow up 15 balloons per day, this will strengthen your lungs and diaphragm... and ease the back and shoulders pain.

Hey there. I had my surgery on Nov. 3, and had horrible gas pain in the shoulder, too.

It's gone away and I really think the exercising and walking did it. Keeping busy helped me, too. When I went back to work (went back four days after surgery), I really didn't notice the pain at all. It was like I forgot it was there.

It will get better. Hang in there.

I have the same thing! I got banded on nov 6th and most of it is gone except for one spot under my rib cage on the right side. It kills. I try to lay on my left side (which usually helps release gas) but it hurts my port. I try to lay on my back, but I can't sleep like that. I try to lay on my right side, but that hurts my back. So I toss and turn all night - it's awful. I did eat some garlic yesterday and I think that might have aggravated it. Who knows.

A heating pad was the only thing that really worked for me. I did the Gas-X, nothing. Walked, didn't help my shoulder at all.

The first time around for me, the shoulder tip pain lasted on and off, about 3 weeks. Walking around seemed to make it lessen.

This time however (just had revision surgery over the weekend), walking seems to make it worse, as well as bring on nausea. The only thing that's helped it thus far for me is laying down. Also, a bit of peppermint extract in Water. The nurses at the hospital gave me a little medicine cup full of this and sure enough, even though it tasted horrible, it helped.

Hope you feel better soon.

The peppermint definitely works, I was given peppermint tea while in hospital and found it helped with both the shoulder tip pain and the gas.

Also a heat pack laying over my shoulder, so the heat was both in front and behind the shoulder, and laying flat so you're not tensing any of your shoulder muscles seems to help too

My Dr. says to walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day, and that staying out of bed is the best remedy for gas. (I just got banded yesterday...Yea!)

Hi!

I'm a November 8th girl too! Guess I was lucky I had the gas pains for only one day but I have walked alot. Have you gotten sick to your stomach yet? I did but found it was because I ate too fast. Now I eat very slowly. Hope all goes well and your pain goes away.

Donamarie

I found that yesterday I felt better after walking and doing as much as possible around the house. But...I did too much. Also I didn't eat until the evening and I drank my Soup too fast and had a stomach ache all night. This is definately a learning experience. Hope all is well for you too! Also the heating pads have been helping a lot!

Gas pains are pretty yucky. I haven't felt like throwing up yet, but I also feel like I could eat anything with no restriction. That's scary.