Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

American Airlines

Have any of you flown American Airlines? What were your experiences like?

I'm 5'8", 350. BMI of around 51. Hope to be around 330-340 by time for the surgery.

I've never flown before. The main reason is because I've been afraid I won't be able to fit into an airplane seat and might be embarrassed or forced to buy a second seat. (I even turned down an all-expenses-paid trip to Seattle last year for this very reason.) I'm actually more anxious about the plane ride than the surgery itself.

I'll be flying American Airlines on Sun March 17th from Dallas to San Diego, and then back to Dallas on Fri March 22nd. I'll be sitting next to my mother and another friend who will also be having the sleeve in Mexico. We'll be the only 3 in our row. I'm sure we'll be squeezed in tightly and probably uncomfortable, but I won't be too embarrassed about encroaching into their space. I'm also sure I'll have to ask for a seatbelt extender. I'm just hoping it buckles without too much trouble.

So, were any of you around my size when flying? What kind of trouble -- if any -- did you have? Any tips? I read that someone recommended asking for wheelchair assistance at the airport post-surgery, but I'm worried I might be too large/heavy to fit in their wheelchair. haha....I'll be so glad when I drop this weight.

I don't recommend the wheelchair because walking will be your new bbf. It may be tough and uncomfortable, but it's probably for the best. It's important to get the gas out from surgery and since you will be sitting for some time you need to keep blood flowing when you can.

Check to see if the plane is a 3-3 (3 seats on each side) and a 2-3.

If it's a 2-3, change your seats so you have the aisle and your mother is next to you on the 2 seat side of the plane; then have your friend moved to an aisle seat in a different row (2 seat side if possible).

If it's a 3-3, I still think you'd be better off having both you and your friend in aisle seats in different rows, with your mom next to you.

As soon as you get onboard, tell the flight attendant that you'll need a seat belt extender.

As for the wheelchair, I reserved one for my return trip. .. just in case I feel I need it. It's easier to say "No, thanks" than it is to try and get a wheelchair if one hasn't been reserved.

Being an obese person on an airplane really sucks; just keep focusing on the fact that, the next time, you will fit in that seat so much better!

So absolutely get the wheel chair post surgery!! The airport is big, you can't lift your luggage and you also wont know how you will be feeling, don't be silly and do it yourself. I got the wheelchair, you sail right through and you don't have to lift your luggage. The wheelchairs have space under the arms so I think you will fit. As for the plane ride, if you can upgrade I would highly suggest it. The seats are wider and more comfortable. If you absolutely can not then try to get extra leg room seats, it will be much easier to get in and out of as there is not normally much room between the rows. Just think this will be the first and last time you will have to be flying as a fat person!!

Best wishes

Oops... typo alert: I meant to say: is the plane a 2-3 OR a 3-3!! Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, upgrading seats isn't an option for me.

But, I did take your advice of changing to aisle seats for both my friend and me. It's a 3-3 plane, so my mom and I will have to share a row with someone else.

Also requested wheelchair assistance for the return flight.