Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Psyched to find this conference

Hello everyone. I'm new here but very excited to have found this forum.

I was banded a little over 4 years ago. Love my band. Love your forum. Thank for letting me be part of it.

jfkbeantown

Banded July 2002

Dr. Kelly, Worcester, MA

Hiya Boston, Welcome to LBT. I'm the DH (no, not the designated hitter, the darling husband). Wife had her band surgery back last December. Wow, 4 years with your band. Any problems to speak of??? And how has the weight loss been?

Wow, its so nice to see someone who has been banded for 4 years, I second the question from Randy - have you had any problems?

How much have you lost? Sounds like you are happy with the band. I am looking into being banded in January so all your info will help us newbies.

I was banded in July 2002 in Worcester, MA by Dr. Kelly.

I thought everything was going fine. I've lost 60 pounds to date and don't really have a goal. I'm a size 14/16 and that's good enough for me.

But, Dr. Kelly's office asked me to participate in a study where they do a motility test. I said "sure" as I'd like to know all I can about my band. I never had a problem. After the testing was all done, the doc called me in to discuss the findings. He said that I have a problem called achalacia. I looked it up, so I know what it is, I'm just wondering if any other bandster has had this problem. I don't think I had it before the band, but how would I know. I didn't go to the doctor with a problem, I only went in for tests because he wanted me to particpate in the study.

After he told me that I had achalacia, he told me the band definetly wasn't for me. How can that be after 4 years of no problems? Hmmmm. So, he removed everything in my band - I can't remember exactly but I think it was less than 3cc's. (and I was hoping to get a small fill that day!

Then we talked about what's next - would I require surgery for the esophagus/achalacia problems. He told me that my esophagus was very enlarged and probably always was - he didn't think it was from the band.

I was pretty upset, feelings flooded me...would I gain my weight back?

We also talked about removal of the band since he said it was not for me. He preferred not to remove right away because of the tough shape my esoph was in. And, he said, it would be easier to get insurance approval if I had the band still in and wanted a GB. Wow - that was a lot to think about for someone who never had a problem.

I left the office and about an hour later I had an unbelieveable attack of some sort in my chest. Now I believe it was an esoph spasm - probably due to the unfill, stress from the visit to the doc, etc. I called the doc and he still didn't think it was from the unfill he just did. I didn't either, but what the heck else could it have been? Could it have been the achalacia starting to act up (even though I didn't have it before the visit with the doc?).

The attacks continue on and off. My chest is sore. My breast bone is sore. Whenever I drink something cold I just about die in pain (so tea works best for me to calm my stomache). Doc has me on a blocker and pain pills.

What the freak is going on with me? Anybody with similar problem? I can't believe this happened all of a sudden - I didn't have any problems.

Thanks,

jfkbeantown

I'm so sorry for your problems. since I'm not banded, I can't help you, hopefully someone with a little experience can jump in.

So are they going to remove the band?

They're going to remove the band, but they're not in a rush. Want my esoph to go down in side first, and then we'll talk about next options. GB when they take out the LB is one scenario.

Thank you for your compassion.

Signs and symptoms result from a functional obstruction of the esophagus:

These are signs and symptoms of what they say you have. Is this not what most of us have due to just having the strictness of the lapband? How could the lapband not have something to do with this? I am so sorry that you are going through this. Please keep us up on what is going on. Thanks for your post, I had never heard of this, but have these symptoms on occasion all at once.

Hi Kim. I agree that we all have those feelings at times, and I always thought that was from the band restrictions so I learnd how to deal with it by avoiding those things that made me feel like I had a lump in my throat or made me burp up food. Didn't know I even had a problem. Have you ever had a test to see if your Esoph was big and creating a new stomach? Since you've been banded for just a little less time than I was, that might be worth talking to your doctor about. But, I should mention that the pain I got after the fill was taken out completely, was the worse pain I ever had. It was a true attack. Esoph spasm of some sort. Thanks for your reply an good luck to you too!

jfkbeantown

Signs and symptoms result from a functional obstruction of the esophagus:

These are signs and symptoms of what they say you have. Is this not what most of us have due to just having the strictness of the lapband? How could the lapband not have something to do with this? I am so sorry that you are going through this. Please keep us up on what is going on. Thanks for your post, I had never heard of this, but have these symptoms on occasion all at once.

I too think all of bandsters have these type symptoms from time to time.

Wonder what the "defining" symptom is to confirm this diagnosis.

JFKbeantown.....not to be a devils advocate or anything, but since you had great sucess for 4 YEARS!!! without problems, is there a chance you might want to get a second opinion before undergoing surgery??

Just in case this can be medically treated and might be able to keep band??

Just a thought. Good luck with all these challenges.

Wow, it's amazing doing so well w/no problems and then bammm! Kinda weird that you had no problems before the study. Anyway, I agree with MissyC that a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

Shawn