Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treadmills- who actually uses them?

I have a habit of getting really excited about things I'm positive ill use, purchasing them, using them for 2 months and never touching them. Anything in life. Actually I had a treadmill about 5 years ago, and that scenario Happened.

I think what happened was I just didnt know what to do, but I really want to do c25k and I'm not brave enough at this weight to do it outside.

Now that I know about c25k, I want one again.

What do you think?(I'm preop, surgery should be in 6-7 mos)

I have had my tradmill since 2007. I love it. Just get on and start slow and easy. Within a month, you will be able to up the mph and distance. Good luck!

So like, do they sell you a book or dvd ?

I see a forum and inroduction web page searching it.

I am starting on a home treadmill as well very soon, still in transit shipping.

Why not a gym membership instead? I don't want the contraptions in my house and I love to get out and go. Plus the gym, to me, I can ramp up through treadmill to elliptical to stair master and then there are weights there, pools, trainers. A myriad of ways to challenge myself.

But if you don't use it, try finding a place that doesn't hold you to a lengthy contract. I think places like Anytime Fitness are month to month, I just don't know about cancellation of a contract or if they make you sign up on a lengthy contract.

Just get active. If you will use the thing, get one. It's a long time commitment... maybe get a used one instead of brand new just in case you don't use it long term? Either way... you are preparing yourself to improve. Kudos to you - I hope you do it and are very successful!

I have stretched tendon and torn rotator cuffs as well as bad knees and back from work and injury I needed cortazone just to work my last job up until my doctor recomended that I used it to long and need stop to avoid furthering damage in my elbows and shoulders, I can not use the weights in a gym, plus the at home treadmill I can use it 24/7 with out travel and at 2 am or when ever.

I did c25k about 3 years ago and it helped me drop weight quickly. I definitely recommend it. It's a great thing to see your progress too. Going from only being able to run for seconds to being able to run for 15-20 mins without stopping! Makes you want to keep going! And, yes, I was definitely more comfortable doing it in my home at first than in the gym.

And there's an app for it so you can listen to music while you do it. It beeps over the music at the correct intervals to run/walk.

I have stretched tendon and torn rotator cuffs as well as bad knees and back from work and injury I needed cortazone just to work my last job up until my doctor recomended that I used it to long and need stop to avoid furthering damage in my elbows and shoulders, I can not use the weights in a gym, plus the at home treadmill I can use it 24/7 with out travel and at 2 am or when ever.

well 24 hour fitness is opened just that: 24 hours. and they have them nationwide. so if i had all of the health issues you described and traveled... but still loved to be on the go/not having the items in my house, then a membership there would be perfect. but hey, to each his own. the point is to "just do it" ... whatever way you DO prefer/have to do due to your own body limitations... just get active! and good luck!

I used years worth of gym time in the 80's and 90's, 4 years started every 5 week at 6am, it helped imensley for weight control and a weight loss diet in 96', this may seem that it's limited or maybe an isolatory struggle or a cop out but it suites me well at this point in time. I can apreciate that your energy is there though. Thanks.

My thought for treadmill is simply to advance as a runner ending by getting a fast 1 mile straight out run, this is about all I think would be best as a goal considering my limits as for now. Works for weight control and quick burn during a week. The treadmill i got is a cheaper one but my running is going to be limited to something closest as is from a couch potatoe to a mile, well, who knows the full program that is c25k, if it works, it works.

I used treadmills for many years and now I can't bring myself to get on one because they bore me so much now. I walk/jog outside and one of our gyms has a indoor track. I also take a spinning class 2 days a week. I did the C25K on the treadmill a couple of years ago and wasn't able to do the same thing outdoors because running on the treadmill is easier and that's why it was so easy compared to outdoors running. It's a really good program :) It usually takes about 3 weeks for me to get into a routine.

What models do u have? What specs do I need to make sure I get?

Craig's list is a good place to look. That is how I found mine 3 years ago. Make sure that whomever you buy it from that they will deliver and install it; these are really heavy to lift with 2 people. You might also consider commercial instead of home models because the motors and belts are designed for gym use. I tend to buy older commercial Precor models when I am looking for equipment because they are built really well. I have both a commercial Precor elliptical and treadmill, each are over 10 years old, but work really well. I have put years and years of almost daily use into these. You should service them every couple years to keep them running in refurbished condition. One disadvantage to buying older models is they may not have all the programs or things like heart rate monitors, but still, these machines maintain their vales fairly well. I believe the elliptical was around 1000 and the treadmill was around 1200.

Craig's list is a good place to look. That is how I found mine 3 years ago. Make sure that whomever you buy it from that they will deliver and install it; these are really heavy to lift with 2 people. You might also consider commercial instead of home models because the motors and belts are designed for gym use. I tend to buy older commercial Precor models when I am looking for equipment because they are built really well. I have both a commercial Precor elliptical and treadmill' date=' each are over 10 years old, but work really well. I have put years and years of almost daily use into these. You should service them every couple years to keep them running in refurbished condition. One disadvantage to buying older models is they may not have all the programs or things like heart rate monitors, but still, these machines maintain their vales fairly well. I believe the elliptical was around 1000 and the treadmill was around 1200.[/quote']

Love precor ellipticals, used them in the gym and they were so smooth compared to the Jerky unnatural movement of my mother in laws cheapy. Thing is, I'm in a small town and the ones listed on the closest Craigslist are certainly not precor.

That and my budget allows for about 600 right now.

Fiddle man, should I pass on one that price? These are the two I'm kindof eyeing. I'd love your input. If it helps, I'm 5'4" and I'd bet I have a pretty short stride.

I like the first one more.

http://samsclub.com/ip/pro-form-425-ct-treadmill/prod7650435

http://walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=A27381E1FCBC536333EA20CFF0A46387#ip/Gold-s-Gym-Trainer-410-Treadmill/17164498

Love precor ellipticals' date=' used them in the gym and they were so smooth compared to the Jerky unnatural movement of my mother in laws cheapy. Thing is, I'm in a small town and the ones listed on the closest Craigslist are certainly not precor.

That and my budget allows for about 600 right now.

Fiddle man, should I pass on one that price? These are the two I'm kindof eyeing. I'd love your input. If it helps, I'm 5'4" and I'd bet I have a pretty short stride.

I like the first one more.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/pro-form-425-ct-treadmill/prod7650435

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=A27381E1FCBC536333EA20CFF0A46387#ip/Gold-s-Gym-Trainer-410-Treadmill/17164498[/quote']

I am really no expert when it comes to making a purchasing decision on treadmills, but I think the first has a good set of options and great reviews. I hope someone with an expert knowledge on discriminating between treadmills based on specification and price range can chime in.