Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop smokers? Help please!

Ok guys..... my date is march 1st. Im a smoker and i have to be nicotine free for 30 days prior to surgery. They told me they do a blood test to check so theres no way around it!! If they find it in your blood, they WILL cancel/postpone surgery. Im having such a hard time quitting!!! Anyonr else having this problem? I need support majorly!!!!!

I am two weeks away from my initial consult but I am already aware that I will need to quit also before i can have surgery. I thought that for me i may try the e-cig but now that i think about it i guess it has nicotine too. Hmm.. I know the last time i quit smoking i gained 20lbs.. hopefully that won't happen this time.. wow this is soooo not an "easy" lifestyle change as everyone likes to negatively tell us.

I work in a pharmacy and Ive noticed quite a few people consulting our pharmacist about different otc products to quit smoking. Maybe you could make an appointment with your pharmacist or family doctor, to try and put some sort of plan together for you. Pharmacists are a great source of information. They could maybe help you work something out. Stay positive!! You can do it!

I used chantix and it helped tremendously. It's not nicotine based, so you shouldn't have a problem with the blood test.

You have almost 2 months, you can do this! I used the patch to help stop smoking about 4 years ago when I first started exploring surgery. I only used it for about 2 weeks and haven't touched a cigarette since then. It does have nicotine so you would not be able to use after the 30 day clock starts. I have heard people have good results with chantix as well. You have such a great motivator to stop. Anytime you reach for a cigarette try to think about what you will be giving up for it. Is that cigarette worth not getting surgery? Is it worth it to continue being over weight with all the complications that go with it? Would you rather smoke that cigarette than lose that feeling of dread that you won't fit in a seat at a concert, on an airplane, etc? This surgery is the best thing I have done for myself. I know how hard it is to stop, the cravings are killer, but I was only successful with quitting when I really realized what I was giving up to keep smoking.

Was a smoker for 15yrs off and on. I quick cold turkey a week before surgery (Dec 10) Honestly don't miss it. My sister started up again and so I took a drag Christmas, it was disgusting I was shocked. Tried again when was hanging out with a girlfriend, again gross. Who would have thought the surgery helped me kick the habit. :)

Had tried about 6months before surgery to quit, was using niccoret(sp) it wasn't bad get fruit flavored not mint, but made me crazy bitchy.

I quit in June using Chantix. I tried many times before. This time, I knew it would work because I wanted to. I did it for myself and my family. I had surgery on 12-31 and loved that smoking wasn't an issue. I think about it still but know I made the right decision to get healthy. Good luck!

Thanks for all the great advise.. My only concern with Chantix is my mom tried it and it made her severely depressed. I have stopped on my own before and not even for this big of a reason so i think i can do it again.. I have so much to gain without it...

I quit exactly 10 days before surgery. I had blood work and it was negative for nicotine. I smoked for 27 years. It takes 3 days to get nicotine out of your system. The real craving is really just for the 3 days. You can do it I did. You just have to really want it. Oh yeah I smoked Marlboro 100s full flavor.

I smoke Marlboro 100$ full flavor too

Let me tell you my story! Lol

I was a 1/2 a pack to a pack a day smoker for the last 15 years. Only time I quit was when I was pregnant. So I have smoked off and on since I was 16. Last stretch was 15 yrs. When I went to the Dr I denied smoking....surprise...blood test. DAMN IT I was caught. They didnt say anything. Next appointment they asked have you smoked. I said no, they said well your last test this and that and you told us no. So today we are going to test you again. I confessed....I smoked (no need for blood draw). They postponed any more dr visits until I was 3 mo nicotine free (WTF). So I had to wait to resume my stuff in Dec. YUP they made me do a blood draw BEFORE I made an appointment. So I think ny Dr is a little strict but boy I quit it that day and have not cheated since Sept 15th.! I want this too bad that was enough incentive for me.

Good luck in quitting

And I smoked Malboro menthol 100

Ok I've done research and haven't found anything about smoking(maybe just not looking at the right place). Do you have to quit smoking to have the surgery done period or does it depend on the surgeon? Also can you start again after a certain time? I'm aware I probably will have to quit, I'm just wondering if I do will I ever be able to start again?

I dont know but I do know that smoking impedes healing.

It raises risk for clotting. I quit by using a nicotene free electric cigerete for a week then didn't need it anymore..I smoked for 15 years..u can do it!! Do it soon though so your not on pre open diet while craving nicotine..quit this month that way u do one at a time.