Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Meal Before Pre-Op Diet

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow and have this sinking feeling. I am comfortable with the fact that I now have strict guidelines to follow for my own good, but I keep thinking what one last food should I have today?? Did anyone else have this issue or did you just not worry with it? What food did you have as your last hooray...I know that sounds horrible, but honestly we all have a favorite food that we have to leave behind with our old lives.

I had the biggest steak at the Texas Road House. Now im on my 2 week liquid diet and im pretty sure that steak is not going to hold me over for 2 weeks lol. Im really excited to start my new life and not have my life revolve around food. I love watching that scale go down :)

I had Coldstone ice cream quite a few times as my last hurrah, pizza, ribs. I didn't think of it as necessarily leaving it behind, because I will feel deprived and want it more, I just think of it as eating in moderation. I will still eat those things every now and then, just MUCH less and a lot less often. My main problem before surgery was Portion Control and wanting a "treat" every single day with every meal, and in between meals, now I can put a handle on it. Like for Thanksgiving I had a tiny spoon of everything and was OK with what I had, I even had a tiny tiny tiny piece of pecan pie and a little piece of the crust. Last year I would have eaten half the pie and so much food, and would have praying for my food to digest so I wouldn't have to throw it up...smh. Now that the scale is moving it feels so awesome :)

I had Coldstone ice cream quite a few times as my last hurrah, pizza, ribs. I didn't think of it as necessarily leaving it behind, because I will feel deprived and want it more, I just think of it as eating in moderation. I will still eat those things every now and then, just MUCH less and a lot less often. My main problem before surgery was Portion Control and wanting a "treat" every single day with every meal, and in between meals, now I can put a handle on it. Like for Thanksgiving I had a tiny spoon of everything and was OK with what I had, I even had a tiny tiny tiny piece of pecan pie and a little piece of the crust. Last year I would have eaten half the pie and so much food, and would have praying for my food to digest so I wouldn't have to throw it up...smh. Now that the scale is moving it feels so awesome :)

What a great attitude :)

I had a fun food funeral. I ate all my favorites for about a week. The best bbq chicken pizza in town, ribs, chinese, sushi...I got it all out of my system just in case after 3 or so months I cant ever tolerate it again. I covered all the basis lol. Oh and some ice cream from Culvers. But Ive been on liquid for the past 2 weeks and lost 10 pounds so I already dont miss those foods.

Well, this post may be a little late but I will say my piece and maybe it will help someone else down the road. Doing a last hurrah the day before you start the 14 day shake thing is usually not the best thing to do. A few days before is good, but the day before, your best bet would be stick with Protein.

Carbohydrates make you want more carbohydrates. Those that carb overload the day before starting the pre-op shake by reading here for the past year seem to have the hardest time with the pre-op shake.

I spent six months prior to the surgery doing the high Protein, low carb and of course I had some days that I did have extra carbs, but I read someone very wise here state, if you decide the day before surgery to do the big carb thing, like pizza, pretzels, popcorn, potatoes, rice, it will be harder to do the 14 days without cheating. All you are doing is stretching your stomach more, the more carbs you eat the more you will want.

Also, letting go of the caffeine and the carbonation before you start this phase is also a good thing because having to quit all of it at once is really hard.

Remember the first 3 days are the hardest, if you are on three shakes a day with only sugar-free Popsicles or sugar-free Jello allowed remember all that liquid in has to come out. Drink plenty of Water because many people end up with a little headache and usually day 3 is when you start feeling better.

You will be spending more time in the restroom most likely and remember never to trust a fart especially at night.

More than anything keep busy. Start cleaning out your closet, keep moving and keep busy. If you get really super hungry, brush your teeth. The 3 shakes a day made my mouth feel really icky and I spent a lot of time brushing my teeth. I found a decaff tea that didn't bug me and that was Bigelow Peppermint Tea. It has a nice taste, tastes good warm or cold, it's something I even brought with me to the hospital.

Best of luck to you. Whatever you have remember it's not really a food funeral it's the start of your new life.

I think long term you'll be able to eat anything you want in moderation.

I didn't do the last supper thing. I've had a bad relationship with food for years and it didn't feel right for me. I certainly wasn't saying good bye to a good friend! :rolleyes:

I'm only 4 weeks out. Last week my wife and I went to a restaurant with a friend to Celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. It was a high end restaurant (read small servings). We ordered and because our friend knew the chef he sent out a few extra courses. lunch went over 2 and a bit hours. I had a bite or two from each course (mainly protein). It ended up being 7 courses. I didn't over eat or feel sick when I left. I did feel pretty empowered that I had control over what I ate and got to enjoy the company and conversation rather than be completely engrossed by the food and what I could consume (the old me).

So, don't feel like it's the end of eating anything. It's a new beginning.

Good luck,

Deano

I ended up catching a virus today so I haven't had anything but an orange. Funny how things work themselves out.