Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Surgery 11/28/12

Good luck to you, Carly. Not sleeved yet myself and I'm very concerned about vomiting after surgery. Pain is nothing, yeah, it's no fun, but, yuck, the nausea sucks!

I had mine on the 23rd and I won't sugar coat it it is rough that first day, but it will start to get better right away. Remember to walk as much as you can as soon as you can, and use a heating pad to help with the post surgery discomfort. when I woke up I was disoriented and in pain and I got really scared thinking "OMG what have I done" I am pretty sure that that was just the lingering effect of the anesthesia but it also passed. I read the success stories in this forum to keep my spirits up especially when I couldn't sleep I made the mistake of not moving much the first day after the surgery and that was a big mistake once I figured out that the more I moved the better I felt and the faster time seemed to pass which is a big help. This is day four post op for me and I am doing great no real discomfort except in the mornings and as long as I sip my broth and chew the Jello I have no problems.

I realize that I am rambling here I just wanted to let you know that your fears while valid are not the horrors that your mind is presenting them to be take a, deep breath be calm, daydream about crossing a finish line or that bathing suit you want to see yourself in ( for me it is a tailored camel hair sport coat) and appreciate the fact that you are doing the best thing you can do to achieve your goals.

Good luck I'm sure you will do fine.

I had my surgery on Nov 19th. That first night in the hospital was difficult for me. Unfortunately I had a lot of nausea which made everything worse. I was up and walking within a few hours and although difficult it was tolerable. Hardest part is figuring how to sit up from a reclining position and how to get my legs over onto the floor and up on my feet. Use of a pillow on your stomach is helpful and inching your way into a sitting position instead of thinking you have to sit up like you're used to. Maybe your first night experience won't be so bad...the discomfort is tolerable but it was that darn nausea that did me in. First night the best I could do was the ice chips. But ever since I have had no problem with sipping the Water all day in order to get the required 64 ounces per day in.

I am now 1 week post op and just started pureed Soups, , yogurt, milky oatmeal. No problems with eating no problems with drinking and very little discomfort.

Each day is a little better. I have lost 20 lbs.

I'm happy you all are doing good!! Your post are helpful to us that have not yet been sleeved. My dual sleeve is Dec.5. I am very scared and nervous about the nausea and vomiting afterwards. Good luck to you all.

I am also very phobic about vomiting after surgery. Anesthesia told me that they will give me something before I wake up for nausea, so I am hoping that will help.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes. I will let you know how it goes!

Carly, that sounds like a good idea, I hope they give me something, too.

I love my dachshunds, what is "dual sleeve"?

I was sleeved on 11/21 - I waited 5 hours for them to wheel me back for the surgery, was in surgery for 3 1/2 and then 2 hours of recovery. I went in at 9am, the next time I saw the sky it was dark! :)

I agree the hardest part about getting out of bed in the hospital is your LEGS! You're basically in a sitting position anyway but those legs, those legs. I finally figured out you can use the guard rail down at your feet to kind of half way get them up so you don't have to get them ALL the way to the bed the first lunge. ;)

I had ice chips the rest of the night and then I could get juices and broth the next morning (and since I didn't get back to my room until late, I didn't have to wait very long at all) I had pretty much no problem with anything, a slight problem with the broth, it didn't sit exactly right so I just didn't drink it... Now when I got home.. that's a different story.. I figured I was a professional now, I had mastered the tiny sips from those little 2 tbs cups, I could handle a regular sized drink! Not so, not so. First time I threw up was when I got home and took a swig out of a real glass. BE CAREFUL :)

Good luck! You're going to do awesome :)

The doctor thinks that I might have a hiatal hernia. They will check for that the day before and if I do have one then they will fix the hernia right before they do the sleeve. So I will be having two procedures one right after the other.

I had a fairly decent experience. Pre-op took about an hour, anest. came in told a couple of jokes and off we went. Started waking up in recovery got wheeled to the room. Was on the pain button a lot, mostly for the recreation. No nausea. Basically slept a lot, but they kept coming in and checking vital and sugar and changing the bag etc. I finally just watched TV until 3am or so. Sometime I got up and walked around, but had leg sleeves on, and another monitor and an IV to carry around. Still did it anyway. No real pain, except between where the drain was and the lowest incision. Still have staples in but am getting those out on Thursday. Would like to hope that the hard parts are past, but not 100% sure.

The doctor thinks that I might have a hiatal hernia. They will check for that the day before and if I do have one then they will fix the hernia right before they do the sleeve. So I will be having two procedures one right after the other.

Oh, OK, that is very, very common. A good many of us "larger" folks have them from overindulging.

That is amazing! You must be so excited! :)

1 yr anniversary total weight loss 130lbs

You look great! Congratulations!