Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caffeine?

What is wrong with Caffeine? Why cant a lot of you guys drink it? I drink like atleast 5-7 cups a day! I have too so that my food will go down. PLEASE ANSWER!

Nothing as far as I'm concerned. I probably drink a similar amount. Although these days I have 1 to 2 cups real coffee and the rest Decaf. Its more that too much caffeine is just not good for you.

I think its just rubbish that you cant have it because of the lap band, just an urban myth.

Phew I can relax then! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to have my friendly cup of java with my nieighbours. I have gotten so used to drinking black coffee that I think it would be the one thing I would miss the most!

Although I think caffeine counteracts 'the full feeling' so I may have to suffer decaffeinated! I don't want to scuper my chances at losing wieght, not until I am completely confident that everything is going down and then I can test the theories lol

I actually just finished my initial orientation a couple of days ago, and I asked the surgeon what was wrong with caffeine. He told me that caffeine promotes appetite.

FWIW.

:hungry:

Oh don't say that! Now that is making me more nervous lol. I don;t drink asmuch coffee as I used to but Iknow if I don;t have at least one coffee I get quite desperatre, it's worse than giving up the fags! At least I had a nicotine patch for that and chewing gum, which is another thing I can't give up now. It's the lesser of two evils really. Do you think you could chew yourself to death?? :D

Libertysuzanne....just wanted you to know, I got banded the 4th and haven't used the patch or a piece of gum since. Don't know if I just had too much else on my mind with the band and all but it's been 10 days with

no nicotine of any kind. I hope it happens that way for you too. Best of luck on your surgery...

Ooops I do make it sound as if I have just given up smoking. I gave up over a year ago now, I was quite quick with ridding myself of the nicottine Patches and I really grew to hate the niccottine gum! So transfered to ordinary wrigleys spearmint gum, haven't been able to give it up though! I guess my smoking was an oral fixation more than the hand one lol.

I too was concerned with caffine. When you take away a soda habit of a 12 pack a day, I got it get the caffine from somewhere!

Caffine can make you hungry but everyhting in monderation. I did not want to go through withdrawl so I have a galss of tea, cup of coffee and on "bad girl" days, a small light frappuccino from Starbucks. I get my caffine and don't endanger my band or my weight loss.

By the way, Starbucks is a treat, not an everyday thing so keep that in mind!

Good luck!

By the way, Starbucks is a treat, not an everyday thing so keep that in mind!

Awwwww shucks and I thought I could indulge in starbucks everyday....you are such a spoilsport :D

Ha Ha on a more serious note, I do love Starbucks, Caramel Macchiato when I'm extremely indulgent, but thankfully the nearest Starbucks is over 20 minutes away so I am only ever really close to it when shopping at Sainsburys once a week. By the time I have got around the supermarket, I'm ready for home. It's weird really I only feel like a Starbucks when I am a hundred percent!

Caffeine can in some cases cause irritation to the stomach lining. This in turn can set up ulcers, which in turn could and I stress COULD NOT WOULD develop into erosion.

I did mention in SOME cases. I just know that I have to drink in moderation. I have to have my caffeine as well. If your stomach doesn't burn or you notice any increase in stomach acid then you are probably fine, but nothing is definitive here.

I love my Starbuck's as well. I drank ALOT of them when I was banded. I can't say this is what caused me to erode. I can't say it wasn't either. It is all subjective.

I just know that I drink TONS AND TONS of coffee every single day just so I can eat atleast 2 meals a day (since I sleep through the first one). I dont each much, and the coffee actually tends to fill me up a little rather than make me hungry. I had a cup of coffee this morning and didnt want anything else so I dont understand how it promotes hunger, but I suppose it could since it could be a false sense of fullness. Anyways I just really wanted to know the dangers because there was another thread on this and no one answered my question. If I dont drink it, then I am really screwed up and cant eat anything for the rest of the day, which is worse in my opinion.

Yeah, caffeine doesnt increase my appetite - I'm prone to drinking coffee instead of eating throughout the day.

I cant tolerate milky coffee anymore though - lattes and cappucinos. Which is probably a good thing, but every time I have one that isnt made with Skinny milk, I get nauseous. I've never liked full cream milk anyway, but now it just turns my stomach.

Generally I just drink regular coffee with a dash of cold milk in it.

I was banded 10/10 and HUGE coffee drinker, I mean I grind the Beans and everything and have all diff. flavers etc. Oddly enough I am not going for the coffee ever since I got home. Ive been drinking tea. I NEVER drank tea?! Tea I alway thought was for sissys hehehe.Just kidding. seriously though, i suffered through the headaches in the hospital and got weened off the java and now im afraid to start again with my major coffe habit.

i stopped drinking lots of coffee a few months ago only because my stupid coffee pot would spill more coffee n the counter than into the cup and I couldn't be bothered with replacing it.

Now that its starting to get cooler all i want is coffee with lots of cream and sugar. But what I've actually found in its place are the General Fod International coffees. I have a vanilla cafe (?) thats No Sugar, No caffene! I love it and I don;t miss the "real" coffee feeling.