Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet Question.

OK. so a little background on me. I am severely allergic to all dairy products and I cannot take things like whey Protein shakes.

I am on the 1st day of a 21day pre-op liquid diet that i have to do. My diet is supposed to stay between 800-1000 calories a day.

I am using soy Protein powder for my shakes with just Water. (I did ask if I could use a bit of rice,soy or almond milk instead of skim milk when needed and I got the ok.

SO that part is covered.

I was wondering if I could use tobasco or any other type of zero calorie hot sauce in moderation in my broths?

It is going to be hard for me to live just on shakes, broth and Jello for 3 weeks and I was hoping tobasco would add a little flavor into my diet during this phase.

here is a list of what I have: ( if anyone has anything they would like to add or any ideas that would be great)

4lbs of chocolate soy Protein Powder

50 pack of on the go crystal light mixes

8 large bottles of poweraid

diet apple juice

diet cranberry juice

30 8oz packs of free range chicken broth

6 32oz low sodium chick broth containers

1 32oz low sodium beef broth

sugar free popsicles

tea

various sugar free syrups (love these already :)

various sugar free candies and throat drops (If someone could suggest a good sugar free gum that would be great)

I got 3 of those suger free Jello packs that Walmart sells.( I actually kind of like them better than the regular jello brand)

I guess all in all I have to come to the conclusion that the time is upon me and I need to get used this very restrictive diet until surgery. Also if anyone who has gone though this already can comment on any tips that helped you get through it. It am doing this for what seems a lot longer than most and I just hope I can stay strong and get through it.

Thanks.

The unjury chicken Soup mix is very good and 21gm of Protein.

i cannot have that at all due to my allergy to all dairy products. Unjury contains milk in it.

It's a rough time but after the first 10 days it got way easier for me as I had adjusted to the diet. Here's a phrase I borrowed from theworldaccordingtoeggface, "Don't give up what you want most for what you want at the moment". That really helped me get through for some reason. Stay strong.

I didn't even notice that on the packaging, good you pointed it out. Sounds like you are well stocked! Good luck!

It's a rough time but after the first 10 days it got way easier for me as I had adjusted to the diet. Here's a phrase I borrowed from theworldaccordingtoeggface, "Don't give up what you want most for what you want at the moment". That really helped me get through for some reason. Stay strong.

I really like that quote. I am already down 1 cup of tea 1 8oz broth and 3 Jello cups today. feeling kind of full strangely.

I know its going to be hard, but I keep telling myself that I have no choice because I want the surgery to help save my life. The thing is that I am doing 3 weeks of this then after the operation I have another 3-4 weeks of liquid to do lol. I am basically saying goodbye to food for a while. lol.. just sounds strange when i say it.

Tobasco in your broth is fine!

Tobasco in your broth is fine!

thank you. this was the answer i was looking for. I think if i have the ability to add in some variety then things will be easier. For example. in terms of the soy Protein shakes. I got the holiday pack of trevani sugar free syrups. adding in a little vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, etc.. makes things easy :)

I can do this!

Yanik, you will be fine. The first few days are the most difficult, but once you find your groove, you will coast along just fine.

Don't overthink it and don't give it more power than it deserves.

Focus on then end goal. Prepare, but don't be overanxious about doing everthing ABSOLUTELY correct.

Breathe.

Yanik, you will be fine. The first few days are the most difficult, but once you find your groove, you will coast along just fine.

Don't overthink it and don't give it more power than it deserves.

Focus on then end goal. Prepare, but don't be overanxious about doing everthing ABSOLUTELY correct.

Breathe.

thank you for your kind words. I guess that I should just relax and try not to think about it so much.

thank you for your kind words. I guess that I should just relax and try not to think about it so much.

It is difficult not to be anxious. This is a big life decision, for sure, and you want to be prepared. But, it is also easy to get your engines going into hyperdrive and make yourself crazy. (Not to mention your family/friends around you)

So, don't worry. You're totally normal. Just breathe and keep everything right-sized.

I've had everything but the powder Protein Drinks I opted out of that... I drink the whey clear Protein drinks taste like Gatorade To me... Very $$.. But worth it for me.. 3$ a bottle... And you drink one a day with your vitamins..and all the liquids you can drown yourself in...I have my surgery Monday...

Might want to find some other spice...tobasco can irritate the stomach post op. Though, if you are just doing it for pre-op, and plan to set it aside post-op, that is ok.

Might want to find some other spice...tobasco can irritate the stomach post op. Though, if you are just doing it for pre-op, and plan to set it aside post-op, that is ok.

Yea. I heard that many people have problems with anything spicy post op. I surely hope that I am not among them and can have it. I will most likely use it for now and then I would wait until I made it past the liquid phase post op to try anything spicy.

I love spice...bring it on. Try just a dash of Tabasco as your healing tummy might not be as happy as your taste buds. Took me a while to build back up to gobbling down jalepenos/thai/curries.