Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Misunderstood song lyrics.

I'm inspired to ask this after reading the "English teachers please help" thread in Rants & Raves.

Has anyone ever misunderstood the lyrics to a song and was surprised to find out what they really were?

When I was a teen there was a song where I thought the singer was saying "spread yourself" all through the chorus. It was MANY years later that I found out he was singing "express yourself". It gives it a whole different meaning.......

Hahahaha, we had a hilarious conversation on holidays about this very topic. Ewan was in the car singing an Alex Lloyed song "Vagabond". The words are "all you lonely vagabonds, looking for a place to call your own" and Ewan's happily singing "all you lovely faggotbones". Hehehe. Then instead of the line "lets rewrite an ending that fits" in some Nikelback song, he was singing "lets remind an Indian Fist". What on earth he thought it meant, I have no idea.

I used to think the words to Our Lips are Sealed were "Alex the Seal" and there was an Australian Crawl song about Errol Flynn, which probably never had airplay over there, but it went "Oh, Errol, I would give anything just to be like him" and I was happily singing "oh werewolf....".

Growing up I always thought the lyrics to the old blinded by the light song were "Blinded by the light wrapped up in revolution another roamer in the fight." :heh:

When my youngest son was about 5 years old he loved to sing a popular C&W song called Jose Cuervo. Kelly had been singing it for weeks when he mentioned one day that he didn't think they were allowed to use bad words on the radio.

"What bad words," I asked.

The words in that song," sang my sweet, innoncent child.

"Jose Cuervo, you are a friend of mine

I like to drink you with a little salt and lime

Did I piss off the cowboys?

Did I shoot out the lights?

Did I dance on the bar?

Did I start any fights?"

The correct line is "Did I kiss all the cowboys."

Same kid....another song.

The Oakridge Boys recorded one that I don't remember the name of, but it contained a line that went, "Come on in, baby take your coat off

Come on in, baby shake the blues off."

Kelly asked me what "the blues" meant and I told him it means "sad". Now in school, they had a saying for making someone feel good - it was "warm fuzzies". But if you made someone feel bad, by name-calling, for example, you were guilty of giving them "cold pricklies".

Kelly asked me if "the blues" was the same as "cold pricklies", and I said they were.

Next thing I knew, he was singing,

"Come on in, baby take your clothes off.

Come on in, baby shake your cold prickly off."

His dad's friends used to give him money to sing that song! Poor kid, he thought they liked his voice.

For years my brother and I went to church where we would sing "Bringing in the Sheaves." We sang "bringing in the cheese." It made more sense to us.

Theres this song I think by Cher which says "Gypsys, tramps, and thieves" I used to think it was Monkeys and chimpanzee. There is also this song that says Jump jive then ya wail. My little nephew says "drunk drive go to jail.

There was an 80s song that I STILL don't know the words to but I always sang "gimme a laser gun the road that I must travel!" I think it's supposed to be...heck, I can't even spell it. Anyone know?!

There was an 80s song that I STILL don't know the words to but I always sang "gimme a laser gun the road that I must travel!" I think it's supposed to be...heck, I can't even spell it. Anyone know?!

The wind blows hard against this mountain side, across the sea into my soul

It reaches into where I cannot hide, setting my feet upon the road

My heart is old, it holds my memories, my body burns a gemlike flame

Somewhere between the soul and soft machine, is where I find myself again

Chorus:

Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel

Kyrie eleison, through the darkness of the night

Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow

Kyrie eleison, on a highway in the light

When I was young I thought of growing old, of what my life would mean to me

Would I have followed down my chosen road, or only wished what I could be

(chorus repeats out...)

Kyrie eleison is Latin for "Lord have mercy".

Hehe, I used to think he was singing, "Carry a laser down the road that I must travel" or "Carrie she lives on the road that I must travel."

I'm *REALLY* bad about this. Here are some of mine.

Instead of "Bring me a higher love" - "Bring me a pie dear love"

Instead of "The answer my friends is blowing in the wind" - "The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind"

Instead of "I'm so excited and I just can't hide it" - "I'm suicidal and I just can't hide it"

Instead of "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" - "It's a gay paradise..."

Instead of "There's a bad moon on the rise" - "There's a bathroom on the right"

i think that was phil collins, i dont know how to spell it, but it is a foreign word that has a meaning, i just cant remember..."currier" keer-ee-yay lays upon the road that i must travel. "****" lays upon the darkness of the night. something like that.....correct me if i am wrong.

ok, i just read carla's reply....i was close...

and.......recently, my friend and i were singing old country songs just for fun...boredom...and we went to signing "Gold Kentucky Rain." i think elvis sang it...but her mom heard us and died laughing before correcting us...it was "COLD kentucky rain." we thought it meant he was taking a piss.

i will definitely have to get back on this thread at a later time, when i am not on a work computer....i can think of some funny ones that i sang as a child.

I was in the car with my mother and we were listening to this song. It's an oldie but I like it. When it said "you and me endlessly" I thought it said "you and me and leslie"

:help:

The song was written and performed by the group Mr. Mister and the lyrics go.....

Lyrics for: Kyrie Kyrie eleison, kyrie eleison, kyrie

The wind blows hard against this mountain side,

across the sea into my soul

It reaches into where I cannot hide,

setting my feet upon the road

My heart is old, it holds my memories,

my body burns a gemlike flame

Somewhere between the soul and soft machine,

is where I find myself again

When I was young I thought of growing old,

of what my life would mean to me

Would I have followed down my chosen road,

or only wished what I could be

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

(repeat chorus)

"Kyrie Eleison" is Greek for "Lord, have mercy." It is used as a prayer in both Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox services. Greek was the original language of the New Testament and it was later translated in to Latin.

So the literal translation would be, "Lord, have mercy (on me) down the road that I must travel. Lord, have mercy (on me) through the darkness of the night." And so on.....

I just LOVED that song in the early 80's!

I was pretty good at figuring out what singers were saying, but my Mom on the other hand, awful!!!

The song "Amadeus" by Falco, they repeat "Rock me Amadeus" about a million times over and over, Well, my thought it was a Wendy's commerical saying "Eat me, hot potatoes"

She didnt like the Go-Go's either, The song, We got the beat, she thought they said, "We'll get your meat" ie, "get some"

Almost got beat one night while listening to "Take on me" on the radio,

Conversation as follows"

Mom-- "I like this song, who sings it"

Me-- "Yea, its good, A-ha" (A-Ha is name of group)

Mom-- "I said who sings this?!" (raising voice cause she thinks I am tuning her out)

ME- "A-Ha"

Mom-- (feverant cussing) "I SAID WHO SINGS THIS SONG, DONT IGNORE YOUR MOTHER!!!!"

ME-- "A- HA,Mom, the name of the group is AHA, AAA-Hch-AAA, A-HA"

Mom- "Oh, I thought you were ignoring me"

Me- "I am now"

Geez, Parents!!!!