Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hyopthyroidism....LapBand questions....

I recently became inflicted with Hypothyroidism back in 2003, I went from 155 to 229 in just 4 to 6 months. I was devestated! I'm 5'8" so 155 was pretty good weight for me, wasn't perfect but was do-able now I don't know WHAT to do. I went on the LA Weight Loss program & got down to 210, I'm fluctuating between 199 & 201 now. A relative had developed the same disorder not too long after I did but went on the Medifast diet & lost 25 lbs which is what she wanted to lose. I don't have the money for Medifast although I know it probably would work so I'm looking into the LapBand procedure. I'm not a big eater, rarely do I eat sweets or fattening foods, I actually eat pretty good & normal, the only hang-up is that I had a severe knee injury that renders me unable to do certain exercises like I used to do. I can do certain things but can't sit, walk or stand for more than a few minutes at a time. Having read my plight, do y'all think that the LapBand would work for me having Hypothyroidism but having an injury that keeps me from most exercises? And as far as the pre-op questionaire regarding the diets I've been on, do you think I'll be turned away not having tried ALL the ones listed? I've tried lots of diets but they didn't really work execept the LA Weight Loss but it costs money too & I'm laid off currently. My husband's insurance covers me & covers weight loss surgery so that's a plus. Also, I've asked this on another thread but I'll ask here...does the lapband port show thru your skin once you've lost the weight?:) does it interfere with exercising like doing crunches or the like or interfere with just bending over in general? :guess What about sleeping on my side? I realize it'd be difficult just after surgery so this is more for AFTER the soreness goes away & after the healing process. I'd appreciate any input. Thanx!

I have Hashimotos (hypothyroidism). I did gain weight, however Ive yet to find an endocrinologist who sees a correlation. They do not buy into hypothyroid= fatness. I did not/will not tell mine I was getting banded. I will be excited to see her reaction to my weight loss. I dont know where I stand on the hypothyroid and weight since Ive met far more thin hypos than overweight hypos. So I think the band is a personal decision. It still comes down to calories in vs calories out. For me the band is/has been the correct decision.. I WAS eating too much. I lost weight on my endocrinologists 1200 calorie plan just didnt keep it off because I wasnt able to stick to it. Low carb is great if you can stick to it. The band will make me stick to it because bread is a no no!

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

I also have Hashimoto's and the band has been a blessing for me I went from 145 to a wopping 220 (huge for my 5'3 frame) I did the surgery in July and have lost 24lb so far I know I was eating too much and the PBs keep me from shuffling in junkfood:cool: . Everyone tells me that I look 10 years younger since my surgery. Also, I was on Synthroid for many years and only when my dr switched me to Armor Thyroid did I start seing any possitive results as far as weightloss and energy levels.

Slowkat,

I'm a new bandster and as far as I know I don't have any thyroid issues, but I think your specific answers will best come from a band surgeon. Now I would guess off the top of my head that the band would work just fine for you. But you really need an expert to talk to about it. You don't say where you live, but many band doc's have free seminars where you can get a lot of free info.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable bandsters will reply here. I 'm hoping you have a successful journey with your weight loss. Let us know how you are doing.

Terry:)

I also gained a whole lot before I found out I had a thyroid problem. I was double wammied- thyroid and sleep apnea and once both of them were addressed, I stopped gaining weight but could not loos the weight permanantly. I did loose about 50 lbs on Atkins but started gaining it back when my knees got worse and I couldn't do much movement at all. Since the surgery I amd down 75 lbs and feeling great. NOTE: remember to have your thyroid tested regularly when loosing weight! I had a bunch of weird symptoms like being dizzy occasionally, being cold etc and thought they were from the surgery but turns out I needed to drop my synthroid dose down some. So, I guess it is always best to go with what your dr says

Thanx to all that replied. Everything I've researched about Hypothyroid states weight gain even my GP says it related & have no other explaination for the weight gain since I've never been an overweight child plus I was still at a healthy weight before this happened. I've heard good things about Armour. I forgot to ask my GP about it today so I'll ask about it next time. Usually HYPERthyroidism patients are thin so I dunno if the HYPOS just got good drs & good drugs for it as for being not fat or perhaps they got lucky & caught it in time before gaining a lot of weight. TexasTerry, I/we live just west of Houston. :)

I recently became inflicted with Hypothyroidism back in 2003, I went from 155 to 229 in just 4 to 6 months. I was devestated! I'm 5'8" so 155 was pretty good weight for me, wasn't perfect but was do-able now I don't know WHAT to do. I went on the LA Weight Loss program & got down to 210, I'm fluctuating between 199 & 201 now. A relative had developed the same disorder not too long after I did but went on the Medifast diet & lost 25 lbs which is what she wanted to lose. I don't have the money for Medifast although I know it probably would work so I'm looking into the LapBand procedure. I'm not a big eater, rarely do I eat sweets or fattening foods, I actually eat pretty good & normal, the only hang-up is that I had a severe knee injury that renders me unable to do certain exercises like I used to do. I can do certain things but can't sit, walk or stand for more than a few minutes at a time. Having read my plight, do y'all think that the LapBand would work for me having Hypothyroidism but having an injury that keeps me from most exercises?

Yes, I think the surgery might be useful for you for all the above reasons. I have Hashimoto's and have been dealing with it for about 10 years. In addition, I've been on anti-depressants and one of them, Effexor, is a guaranteed weight adder. Another reason for choosing the band for me is chronic knee and back problems. I knew I needed more exercise, but everytime I did so, I ended up in more pain. So my decision was to go for the Lap Band with the idea that I could get a jump start on the weight going down, I'd be better able to handle the exercise that helps it stay off.

Also about the knee, can you do stuff in the pool like swim or Water aerobics? I modify my Water aerobics to be kind to my knees, and when we start a new exercise, I ask the instructor to show me a knee friendly version.

And as far as the pre-op questionaire regarding the diets I've been on, do you think I'll be turned away not having tried ALL the ones listed? I've tried lots of diets but they didn't really work execept the LA Weight Loss but it costs money too & I'm laid off currently. My husband's insurance covers me & covers weight loss surgery so that's a plus. Also, I've asked this on another thread but I'll ask here...does the lapband port show thru your skin once you've lost the weight?:) does it interfere with exercising like doing crunches or the like or interfere with just bending over in general? Can't answer about the port showing through after you lose weight, but I read somewhere, the placement is designed to not be a factor as your weight decreases. Maybe someone else has better answers about that. I also read somewhere that you should wait six weeks or more before doing abdominal exercise (check with your doctor) . I can feel the place where my port is( about 3 in. under my bra line) but it has no effect on me when I bend over. :guess What about sleeping on my side? I realize it'd be difficult just after surgery so this is more for AFTER the soreness goes away & after the healing process. I curl up on my right side every night to go to sleep. No problems. I'd appreciate any input. Thanx!

Hope this helps,

Jo Ann

I mean, once you are banded, do you feel something different? Can you feel that you are banded? Or do you live a normal life? I am just thinking about it and it kinda scares me but it seems to be very safe. I am 5'3 and weigh 200 pounds...it really sucks! I can't find anything that fits me right. i want to go to 125

I was already heavy when my thyroid stopped working. The synthroid was supposed to help me lose weight. NOT. I just kept gaining. I also have a bad knee so exercise is touchy. I still take thyroid after my lapband surgery and have it my dosage checked regularly. I do Water aerobics and walking and that is much kinder to my body.

This is a decision you need to make. Some insurance compainies don't require all the proof that you have tried many weight loss programs. Just fill out the documentation and give it a try. This is a major committment and life change so don't do it just because your insurance will pay for it and diet plans are expensive.

Good luck to you.

Was I glad I read this post! That would be an understament. I to have hypothyroidism and disabled so exercising is a tad tricky with the extra weight, hence deciding to go for teh lapband. My doc agreed it would be a good move as 'normal' dieting which I was doing also requires exercise that I cannot do...unless I want to end up in pain for a good few days after, which would mean that...well I am sure you get the picture.

I am just so glad to hear that despite having hypothyroid it is still a viable alternativ, I was a wee bit worried that it would not work.!

Thanks

Sx

I agree with all the other posts. I'm addressing the Optifast question. Drink Slimfast......or go to the health food stores for powdered protien shakes they might be cheaper. Staying on a liquid diet isn't easy....

I feel great banded..I slept on my side in the hospital. I have had to many abdominal surgeries to do crunches soI can't respond to that question.

I see I'm not the only one with a bad back and knee trouble......

Good luck with your decission.....

You might want to check with your insurance company to see if you qualify for lapband surgery with a weight of 199/200. For me, my insurance pays for people who have 100 pounds or more to lose and have a BMI of >40. They required TFT's (thyroid function tests) pre-op to make sure that was not the cause of my obesity. It seems they consider hypothyroidism treatable with medications and don't allow it as a co-morbidity.

To everyone who's responded so far. The reason I'm still debating is because I feel like I should be able to lose weight w/o having surgery. I'm sure all of y'all or at least most of y'all have felt this way (just assuming of course) & have tried other methods w/o results. I'm still feeling a wee bit hopeful. I'm also just afraid other people will think badly of me, like I took the easy way out or that "oh THAT'S how she lost weight, I thought she did it on her own.." blah blah. I really feel like I'll be judged when people find out because they may think I took the easy way out & it's NOT easy. It's HARD either dieting or with the surgery because it's a total lifestyle change either way but harder due to being completely restricted. The upside that makes me wanna go ahead w/the surgery is because I WOULD be restricted & not have to worry any further about how I eat. I feel that the long term benefits outweigh the negatives but I want to at least try the medifast as my last try before doing the lapband, just in case it DOES work for me. I don't want to be left wondering, well, if I had tried it, would it have worked. :paranoid BUT it does require SOME exercise either way. As for those who asked if I could try Water exercises, well there's no local access to a pool that I know of around here. If anyone knows of a place that's affordable & nearby Katy, TX, (West of Hwy. 99 ONLY please) just post about it here, if you wouldn't mind. :wacko: Thanx!:straight

Hi Slowkat. I have hypothyroidism and I am not banded. I have gone through the same thought process as you. I should be able to lose the weight without surgery. My hypothyroidism didn't hit me all at once, I have dealt with it since puberty. Since the age of 12, my weight has gradually increased until I am now over 300lbs at 25 years old. I take my thyroid medication and I have gone on countless diets. I am tired of it all! I have decided that I need the band to help me. Even my endocrinologist has said he will write me a letter of recommendation to get the surgery. This is what he said when I first met him years ago, "With hypothyroidism, you are like a handicapped person in a race with fit people when it comes to dieting". What he meant is that our bodies are fighting weight loss so dieting for us is much harder. Remember that the lap band is a tool that we can use to make us even with everyone else.

As for telling people about being banded, I have also wrestled with that problem. It is up to you to decide IF you want to tell people. I have already decided not to tell my Dad and other family members because they would try to bring me down. If they ask, I will tell them the truth, that I am eating much less and I am exercising. I plan on being banded within the next few months. I am not going to let anyone get in my way.