Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery With Obese Bmi Goal?

Hi,

I have a question maybe somebody here knows the answer to. My goal is 160lbs. I'm 5'2 and 268. I realize that 160 is still overweight but I feel it is realistic (and my nutritionist feels the same way). Can I still have plastic surgery to get rid of all the extra skin everywhere? My insurance covers some plastic surgery for excess skin after weight loss -- will they cover it if I'm not at a normal BMI?

We are just about the same. I am 5'2 and want to get to 150, I feel that is realistic. However I think, although not sure you have to be out at least 12-18 months before you should do plastic surgery. I have a feeling it depends on your insurance if they are willing to pay for it, but then again I am just assuming.

Let me know if you find out and good luck!!!

Hi-we are almost identical stats as well, except that I am about two inches shorter. My goal is inline with yours. There is no way I will ever be at a normal bmi (100lbs is just not happening). My insurance would cover some plastics only if there is a medical need (ie constant, medically documented rashes and problems with the hanging pannus). I am already planning on saving my pennies for plastics because I expect to need full lower body work not just the work on the apron, plus maybe some work on my girls (they are mishapen already due to lumpectomies).

Hi Juss,

I need EVERYTHING done. Breasts, arms, thighs, stomach....I would consider going the Mexico route for the things my insurance will not cover. My only concern there is what if there are complications? What happens then -- do I come home to deal with the complications? Would my insurance cover complications due to a non covered plastic surgery?

I have both Aetna (primary) and Federal Blue Cross. By time I get to the plastic surgery stage ( please God, let me get to that stage!) Federal Blue Cross will be primary. From what I read ( lots of bureaucratic mumbo jumbo) Fed Blue Cross seems more liberal than Aetna's coverage. I see you had to have multiple psych evaluations -- I only have to have one. Did Aetna require that?

I am on the 90 day plan with Aetna. That required 3 medical visits, 3 nut viits, and 3 psych visits within the 90 days. That was really annoying as the psych said I was good to go after the first visit, but yet I have to go back and waste my time (and his). That is the last hurdle I need to jump through before they can submit to Aetna.

Ironically, if I had chosen the 6 month plan with Aetna, I would have only had to visit the nut and psych once. Go figure.

That's cool that you have a really good secondary insurance. I don't carry one at work because my husbands plan is uber great through UPS.

Hey, great question and one that has been on my mind a lot lately.

I am just over two years out now, 5'2 and 163lbs. So very near the stats in your post...

I am not at goal, but just 9lbs from my surgeon's goal of 154lb or 11 stone. He doesn't believe in the BMI as an indicator of health. My personal goal is 140, but I really don't think I will ever get there!

I've been this weight since Oct last year, and regardless of what I do I can't seem to shift the last bits of fat, so my thoughts are turning to, 'well, perhaps this is it and now lets get rid of the skin!'

So, to answer your question, I think that it is perfectly ok to consider plastic surgery once you've reached a comfortable weight/size regardless of the BMI. Not sure how it would effect your insurance (I'm in the UK so I will have to pay for my TT).

Good luck on your journey...

I have heard that the Federal insurance plans approve more than any other plan. Good luck! That said, I would go as low as you can weight wise so that you get the best results. Don't sell yourself short. Your Sleeve is a powerful tool!