Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freezing Shrimp?

So I defrosted a whole bag of shrimp tonight for dinner. I ended up making 9 shrimp skewers, 3 different flavors. I ate less than 2. So what do I do with the leftovers? I know a lot of people over cook and freeze meals for the future... but can you do that with shrimp? Can you reheat it and still taste good?

I'm slightly more than a novice in the kitchen. I feel like I waste so much food nowadays and I already have so many leftovers in the fridge. I don't want this to become another casualty!

P.S. If anyone wants to open a national chain grocery store which caters to single people or those cooking for two, please do. I know everything would be much more expensive but I'm spending the same amount now and wasting it! I hate having to buy 24oz to eat 4. And I had this problem before VSG.

Yes, you can refreeze them, but the quality suffers each time you thaw/refreeze. Next time, take only as many as you need out of the frozen bag. They thaw quickly anyway, and to speed them up you can thaw them in cold Water as well.

defrosted a bag of shrimp tonight for dinner.

keldolbeth

I love shrimp and salmon :)

in our grocery store - they have big frozen bags of each.

the shrimp - i just pull 3 from the bag and thaw in Water - others stay in bag frozen, ready for next time

The salmon is wrapped in individual pieces 5 oz. - eat less than 1/2 - rest goes in tupperware - good for 2 more days. eat veggies w/the fish yum yum

the fish has alot of good Protein too :)

i'm not much of a cook either - someone posted this recipe for mini-meatloafs on our site- bought a pan with 4 individual small "loafs", took liberty with the recipe - didn't bother w/all those spices

mainly mixed tomatoe sauce, egg, bread crumbs, fresh chopped up mushrooms, green pepper and of course 95% fat free hamburger - i loved it - even hubby enjoyed some ;)

it was delicious - one is in fridge now, other 2 in freezer.

just food for thought ;)

Sure you are probably kidding about the grocery store chain, but it would work - i know i'd shop there :)

by the way, next time you have some good leftovers - give me a call - area code 315........ :lol:

good luck

I buy bags of shrimp from the fish section of Walmart each week. I take one bag and leave it in the fridge, eating on the shrimp here and there as either Snacks or as my main dish. Or I cook something with them. By the end of the week, minimally, I am done with the bag. Can you just eat on the remainders for the rest of the week?

IDK on refreezing but I bet you can..... just as another poster said, it degrades the quality each time you refreeze.

Good luck (you aren't alone in the newbie parts of the kitchen either!).

keldolbeth

I love shrimp and salmon :)

in our grocery store - they have big frozen bags of each.

the shrimp - i just pull 3 from the bag and thaw in Water - others stay in bag frozen' date=' ready for next time

The salmon is wrapped in individual pieces 5 oz. - eat less than 1/2 - rest goes in tupperware - good for 2 more days. eat veggies w/the fish yum yum

the fish has alot of good Protein too :)

i'm not much of a cook either - someone posted this recipe for mini-meatloafs on our site- bought a pan with 4 individual small "loafs", took liberty with the recipe - didn't bother w/all those spices

mainly mixed tomatoe sauce, egg, bread crumbs, fresh chopped up mushrooms, green pepper and of course 95% fat free hamburger - i loved it - even hubby enjoyed some ;)

it was delicious - one is in fridge now, other 2 in freezer.

just food for thought ;)

Sure you are probably kidding about the grocery store chain, but it would work - i know i'd shop there :)

by the way, next time you have some good leftovers - give me a call - area code 315........ :lol:

good luck[/quote']

I am area code 315 also !!

So I defrosted a whole bag of shrimp tonight for dinner. I ended up making 9 shrimp skewers' date=' 3 different flavors. I ate less than 2. So what do I do with the leftovers? I know a lot of people over cook and freeze meals for the future... but can you do that with shrimp? Can you reheat it and still taste good?

I'm slightly more than a novice in the kitchen. I feel like I waste so much food nowadays and I already have so many leftovers in the fridge. I don't want this to become another casualty!

P.S. If anyone wants to open a national chain grocery store which caters to single people or those cooking for two, please do. I know everything would be much more expensive but I'm spending the same amount now and wasting it! I hate having to buy 24oz to eat 4. And I had this problem before VSG.[/quote']

I don't know where you live but we have a company called My Fit Foods and they make healthy food and package and sell it as single meals sm med lg or ala carte Protein etc I am going to start doing that after surgery when I am on normal foods again.A small or medium could prob last all day broken up...I have tried their meals and like them a lot.I know they have locations in TX,CA, ID,AZ