Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Got Approved! Now What?! When?

After a long journey of deciding between lap band, or sleeve, jumping through all Aetna's hoops, losing weight, getting pregnant, gaining weight, losing the baby - it's been an emotional journey. I've been accepted for the surgery.

Now I'm half excited, half freaked out!

My surgeon is scheduling for October. I have 2 major events in October that I really don't want to miss, one is a high school reunion of sorts, we do it every year, on the 28th. The other is a giant halloween festival that I am committed to, involved in running and planning on the 13th.

They can schedule my surgury as early as the 9th of October.

Do you think I'll be able to move, hustle, and run this festival on the 13th? I can avoid lifting things but I'll be on my feet for a good portion of the day.

For the reunion - What will life be like 2.5 weeks after surgery? Will I be able to hide that I had the surgery from everyone or will it be blatantly obvious? I really don't want the world knowing about this, just my hubby & mom really. The girls at the reunion will be doing a lot of drinking, like we always do. I know I won't be able to do that!

Half of me says just do it, and deal with the concequences. The other half says wait til November so I don't have to stress about all this!

Input?

Abbie

I was ok after one week but everyone is different. I went to a crab feed two weeks out, even had a few bites of crab and two cocktails, vodka cranberry with just a splash of vodka and I did just fine. You can do that as far as the reunion, they will never know you arent really drinking! I say go for it, the sooner you do this, the sooner you will be on the losers bench!! Best of luck.....you CAN do this! :D

Thanks for your input! I really don't want it to be obvious that I'm not drinking/eating because I can't think of a good reason as to why I wouldn't be. I really don't want them to know about the surgery ya know? Word travels fast lol, the whole world would know.

I just wanna get this done already! But on the other hand, I don't wanna be under a ton of stress while trying to heal and adjust. November would be easier, but do I want to wait that long?

Ahh my mind is racing! I kinda thought I wouldn't even be approved yet since I only had an 18month weight history not a full 2 years!

After all you've been through JUST GET IT done Already. You will be fine. I had mine done on Monday, still getting around slowly but I think you'll be fine.

I'd say talk to your doctor's office asap! Either they can move you up, or they may think it's best to postpone to November... here is the thing... whenever you get it done, there will be challenges, so it's up to you to decide what you can handle as far as your eating habits; but don't try lifting and carrying things too soon, as that will cause problems for you too.

Whatever you decide make sure it's the best decision for YOU... but it never hurts to ask the expert (ie...your doctor)

Thanks all. I am so indecisive.

If I could do it in September, I'd start my 2 week liquid diet tomorrow if I could! But October is such a busy month for me, and it's a fun month, with lots of activities and plans already that I don't want to miss out on.

On the other hand? If I do it in early October, I'll be thinner for Thanksgiving & Christmas which is awesome.

How soon after your surgeries did you go out and be "normal" with people? How did you (if you did) keep people from knowing?

I know that you are excited about it but I would wait. I mean, you want to enjoy your 2 events you have planned and you never know how the surgery will turn out as far as pain, bloating and stuff like that. You need to heal properly and you will be taking a chance. You already have your approval letter, so, you know you are gonna have it. Youve gone through a lot, take this time to enjoy your events and then do the surgery so you will have your mind clear and your body ready for the adjustments!

I would ask if you can schedule for the beginning of November. I delayed my surgery and I am so glad that I did. I was approved for surgery in January and could have had my surgery in early February, but I asked to postpone it to April 6th because I had to move March 1st to a new apartment and I had a work commitment (conference) on April 4th & 5th. I was able to "handle" all of my business and then have my surgery and take a month off work. I am so glad I did this, and the surgeon is constantly booking in advance.

Do what works for you!!