Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I have my psych evaluation in a week and I am filling out my pre appointment paperwork and now I am a little worried. I have a bipolar mom and I have been diagnosed as OCD in the past and I am now worried that this may keep me from passing the evaluation. I am a depressed person but mostly bc of my weight and I am not on medication for it so I don't think that will be a concern but bc my mother is clinically diagnosed and takes medication for bipolar and it can be hereditary. I know I should be honest but I almost feel like I want to keep that info out of the psych evaluation. Has anyone else been in this same situation and experienced a good outcome?

Similar. My mom was dx schizophrenic (don't know about the hereditary aspect of that), and I put it down on my psyche evaluation. My psyche was nuts herself, though. She told me I would be an alcoholic, no options. I obviously got approval for my surgery and I'm not an alcoholic a year later, so I think you should be fine. As far as your being OCD, that's probably a good thing! :) That means you'll be very compliant with Vitamins, exercise and meds. :)

wow they said you'd be an alcholic? why?? lol that doesn't make any sense to me!

in regards to the bi-polar thing.. i don't see how it would look bad for you, since you're not diagnosed as being bi-polar. just because things are hereditary, doesn't mean that they are 100% going to affect you :) i also agree with Lissa, in that OCD is probably a good characteristic, since you'll probably be doing all the right things. :)in any ca

in any case, i wish you luck and much success :)

Lol the alcoholic thing made me laugh bc it's absurd! Lol. She does sound likemshenwas a little crazy herself.

Alcoholism is a switch over addiction. Some people use that to fill in the void that food used to fill. It's used instead of self-medicating with food. It happens quite a bit actually.

i have a bad liver, so i couldn't do that or smoke.. i have crappy veins, too, so i couldn't be a junkie.. looks like i'll have to find something else.. if i could pick a bad habit, i think it would be sex. if i was skinny, i'd go get me some. lol being fat, unattractive (or at least feeling unattractive even if others find you attractive) sucks.. and doesn't get you any. so there. i guess i have decided my new vice when i'm skinny will be sex.. where's the hot asian boys.. tell 'em to beware.. cause candy's coming to get 'em!!! lol --- just kidding, my morals wouldn't allow it.. even though i'd probably be thinking about it. so what's that leave?.. i can't think of anything except mutilation. damn. always get stuck with the socially unacceptable ones, don't i?.. *mopes off to practice being EMO*

just kidding, of course..

i think maybe i'd get more into sports.. that's what i used to do.. sports, martial arts, etc.. and traveling. :) it'd be fun to get back on a horse again & do competitions... maybe get back into bodybuilding.. could be fun. :)

Alcoholism is a switch over addiction. Some people use that to fill in the void that food used to fill. It's used instead of self-medicating with food. It happens quite a bit actually.

I just looked that up and I did not realize it happens a lot! I guess we all learn something new everyday

I imagine everybody's psyche evaluation varies somewhat, but mine consisted of a brief oral conversation with the doctor, then a very long test where the answers to the statements are either agree or disagree. It was about the dumbest test I've ever seen! I literally laughed out loud more than once over some of the statements....for instance, one said "My soul leaves my body" and then "I would like to be an auto racer," "Once a week or oftener I become very excited." Of course they have 'normal' statements like " I have very few headaches," and "I have no fear of water." It is easy to figure out how any of the questions should be answered.

would i fail if i checked "yes" on "i would like to be an auto racer"?... >.> lol jk.. common sense stuff..

i wouldn't say "yes" to "do you think there are people out to get you?" even though i do really think that there are, but not specifically ME, but people in general.. especially fat people, people who have lower incomes and etc.. throughout history known as disposables.. but those people who would be evaluating me don't know that i'm into conspiracy theories & that i can show them proof of why i believe the way i do.. lol or that my cousin is a psychiatrist & has done an evaluation on me & IQ test & i'm damn near a genius.. so eccentricity goes with the territory.

i think it's stupid that you even have to have a psychiatric evaluation, because regardless if you pass or fail, those people don't know you from adam & really can't tell you what is best for you because of that. just because they have a piece of paper that says they do, doesn't mean they really know what they're doing, really care about you or that they have your best interest at heart... and frankly, a lot of those people are looney bins themselves.. that's probably why they are where they are.. so that they can tell everyone else that they're crazy & not have fingers pointed at themselves.. for example.. at my old house, the lady that owned it before my family did was a psychiatrist at the local Juvie.. yet she had to have the fire department called on her to get her out of the top of the pear tree in the front yard, because she climbed up there to try & put a prayer stick in the top of the tree & got stuck.... and i think that if michael jackson could pass his psychiatric evals, why can't everyone else?.. at least you guys are going in to surgery for something that will benefit your health.. not because you hate your nose/lips/eyes/chin/watever & are a weirdo (even though he seemed to be very nice.. except for the child molestation thing). lol

anyway.. i wonder if you could get out of doing one if you said it was against your religion... probably not, but.. >.>

nyxa said: (even though he seemed to be very nice.. except for the child molestation thing). lol

I'm truly LOL at this. I worked in a couple of prisons while in college. The child molesters are usually the nicest, most polite guys you'll ever find.

I received my paperwork and it said like 2 hours for test and about 1 1/2 hour with the doctor. I dont like test anyways because I think way to much into things so if there was a question " would you like to be a race car driver" I would sit there and think long and hard about it..."It might be fun! i mean I could do it and I would be awesome so yes? I would like to be a race car driver??" lol

I agree though..i dont understand why its required only becuase obesity hits every type of person a little nuts or not.

nyxa said: (even though he seemed to be very nice.. except for the child molestation thing). lol

I'm truly LOL at this. I worked in a couple of prisons while in college. The child molesters are usually the nicest, most polite guys you'll ever find.

i'm happy you laughed, cause most people think i'm just being mean... and i'm not. lol :) but that is sad.. :( what is wrong with people these days? seriously. :(