Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgery is tomorrow and I can't sleep. This pre op diet I lost pver 20 pounds and I feel great. Makes me wonder if I ever truly put my heart onto losing weight before. I'm 380 pounds now and would like to lose 150+. Since today I have had no solid foods at all maybe thats whats scareing me. I'm afraid that I'm not gonna want to eat ever after the surgery. Plus me wife and I dont cook. I see these ideas online and I think I cant make that. On time I know what I want to eat just not for the first several months. Ugh

That last night is really scary for many of us. I didn't sleep at all the night before my surgery. You have made a huge decision for yourself and now you're looking it in the eye and wondering the same things many of us wonder. Should I do this? Will I be able to live with this decision for the rest of my life?

If you're truly in an introspective mood, go back over your list of pros and cons. But, remember this, once you're sleeved, you will lose that 150 pounds and be happier, healthier and more energetic. You'll get to live a lot longer than you will if you remain obese. Even if you manage to lose that 150 pounds on your own, how hard will it be to take it off and keep it off. Yes, you've lost weight pre-op, but you've done it by literally eliminating food from your diet.

I had the same thoughts you're having right now. Less than a year later and 112 pounds lighter, I'm STILL thrilled I got on that table. Think of this: What would YOU give right this minute to be 112 pounds lighter? A piece of your stomach is easy compared to whatever the answer to that question is.

Good luck! I'll be here waiting to welcome you to the loser's bench after your surgery!!! :) Your future is so bright that you're gonna need shades! :)

Thank You for responding. That actually made me feel alot better. I hope I could cook well for myself after I'm a rookie at cooking. Hopefully I will become pro.

GREAT POST LISSA, AS SHE SAID ITS ONLY NATURAL TO HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS. yOU WILL BE FINE. yOU WILL BUILD A NEW RELATIONSHIP WITH food. PLUS IF YOU WERE GONNA LOOSE THAT WIEGHT YOU WOULD ALREADY HAVE. I LOST 65 POUNDS GETTING READY FOR SURGERY, I TOO THOUGHT MAYBE I CAN DO THIS ON MY OWN, I COULDNT. I AM DOWN A TOTAL OF 154 POUNDS 86 SINCE SURGERY ON 4/20.........COULDNT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT MY SLEEVE. YOU WILL BE FINE AND GOOD LUCK

I am not much of a cook either - you find little ways to make healthy meals with little time and effort. The biggest difference might be that you plan ahead for what to eat rather than just pick it up on the go. Although I have resorted to Wendy's chilli in a pinch and that works. You will be able to find foods that work for you - but it may just take a bit more thought.

It is only natural to be scared the night before your procedure. You are signing up for a lifestyle change and it's hard! I recommend that you do something soothing - read a book, listen to music (whatever works for you) and try to get some rest. You will feel better in the morning if you can.

Good luck tomorrow - I hope your jitters subside and you are able to go into surgery strong in your convictions and excited for the new you!

I wanted to add that you should think about signing up for MyFitnessPal if you haven't already. A great way to track calories, activities, and nutrition information - but also a fantastic opportunity to friend other sleevers and see what they are doing with their food journals and take inspiration. I'm Mtmw1975 on MFP if you want some ideas or support.

Lissa, thank you for always having such helpful and positive posts. I have a couple weeks to go, but I'm sure I will be having these same thoughts. I will try to print out your reply to read if I start having them.

It's normal to feel nervous and have second thoughts. You will also change your relationship with food after having 80% of your tummy removed, you won't have the ability to eat huge meals at one time. And for some people like myself, I forget to eat sometimes and I just don't want to eat because I'm not hungry. I now eat for nutrition because I have to eat to remain healthy and nourished. As for making healthy meals, you can do it because you will have to plan your meals like some one else stated (at first liquids, then puree foods, then soft foods, etc). During that time you will be surprised what you can prepare at home (like healthy chili's, stews in the crock pot and learning the best foods with protien (beans, eggs, cottage cheese and such). This is a learning process and you will do great, see you on the loser's bench.

Mezz, I barely cook at all anymore. I spend one night a week prepping bacon and sausage for the week, buy a bag of fajita meat, and keep it all in the fridge for later use. Simple and easy.

Since you probably won't see this until surgery is over... Welcome to the Loser's Bench!!! :)

TY all for your support. I'm off to the hospital. Wish me luck.

I certainly was nervous!! I do all the cooking for my household so for me, it was changing everything that my life had been to that point. Remember I am down 81# and only 4 months out..I am off most of my meds..I can live again..once you do it and give yourself time to heal..you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner than later! Welcome to the loser's bench!

Mezz' date=' I barely cook at all anymore. I spend one night a week prepping bacon and sausage for the week, buy a bag of fajita meat, and keep it all in the fridge for later use. Simple and easy.

Since you probably won't see this until surgery is over... Welcome to the Loser's Bench!!! :)[/quote']

I am only down 25 pds since my surgery on June 19th. I had a bad shoulder and finally got a shot in it, and it's still sore. I want to work out and it's really got me down. Any advice would be great on what to eat. You said you ate bacon, what kind? I'm so burnt out on Protein Drinks. It makes me sick. I have to go back to the Dr.s on the 27th on Sept, and if I don't lose more they will be upset. Sometimes I eat hardly nothing, other times I seem to eat more. I hardly cheat, and don't know why it's not coming off. In a way I would rather lose it slower so my skin won't sag. I just wish it would come off a bit faster....any help would be appreciated!!

I'm back home and everything went well. Very Thirsty but I have to sip my drinks. Does anyonw know of a good tasty Protein Drink. I got one called whey isolate from Vitamin Shoppe (tropical flavor) but its ok. The stuff they gave me in the hospital was great but I think they only have it at my doctors office which I cant call til monday. Any suggstions?

Congrats Mezz! I am a pre-opper but I drink Protein Drinks bcuz I like them and use them as a Meal Replacement if I don't have time. My favorite is EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control, chocolate. It's thin in consistency, which I personally like. I like it best cold. I don't know if temperature makes a difference for your new sleevie. It hat 17g of Protein, 4 carve (3g net carve bcuz of 1g of fiber), 110 calories and 3g of fat and is 11 oz. I get a box of 24 at BJ's Wholesale Club, sorry the price is escaping me at the moment. Best of luck to you and look forward to updates and NSV sharing!