Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keep Lap Band On And Still Get Sleeve?

My question maybe stupid but I was wondering if they do this band over bypass surgey will they leave your band on and do the sleeve or bypass just been wondering because I want this so bad and I am affarid my insurance is going to not approve me for both band removal and sleeve

No questions are stupid but I cannot imagine a credible doctor that would leave the band on wile performing a revision. The band has to be removed so the stomach can be resized into a sleeve.

Thank you havent seen my doctor yet I go in a week . I just have head so many horror story about insurance covering one or the other so just worried

If your insurance covers revisions then there should not be a problem. Good luck!

I agree with Isajck. I don't know how it would even work technically to sleeve with a band still in place.

Ditto on the coverage: if your insurance pays for revisions, it should not be a problem. And if your insurance agrees to pay to remove the band, it probably will pay for the new procedure.

The only thing close to a banded sleeve that I've heard about is a banded plication. I "think" that involves folding the stomach up, then putting a band around that, but don't quote me on it. Might be a good issue to google, but I wouldn't go for a procedure like that personally.

I agree with everyone else. The band goes around the stomach right across where the cut for the sleeve comes up, so it would probably be impossible. On top of that, most people that have the band removed have some degree of scarring, which increases the risk for a leak with the sleeve. I would venture to guess that it wouldn't be done.

However, good luck with getting insurance to approve both the removal and revision!

For me, I would never consider a lapband again, even if it were possible with the sleeve. I hate that demonic device.

Good luck on the approvals - sleeve is oh so much better!!!!

There is a thread somewhere in this forum recently where this exact scenario was played out. It becomes a coding issue, the insurance may not directly cover the removal of the band, but because it is required to perform the VSG there is a different medical code that makes it coverable. You should talk to your surgeon about this because it is so specific and they may need to research the coding.

There is a thread somewhere in this forum recently where this exact scenario was played out. It becomes a coding issue' date=' the insurance may not directly cover the removal of the band, but because it is required to perform the VSG there is a different medical code that makes it coverable. You should talk to your surgeon about this because it is so specific and they may need to research the coding.[/quote']

Yup, that was one of my posts. Not sure which thread. My insurance approved the sleeve but denied the band removal. However, because the removal of the band is necessary for the sleeve, it is a matter of coding to ensure coverage. Seems silly, but I guess that is how insurance can sometimes be.

As I lay here in my hospital her, approx 8 hours after having my band to sleeve revision, I sure do hope my surgeon coded everything correctly or that could be one Hell of a bill. Yikes! :-)

Thank you everybody ! Your input meant alot . I called my insurance today they so cover baractric surgey and revision surgey it just up to my doctor's notes on what they do . my appointment has been moved to friday the 16 or 17 th not surs what day lol . I now going around getting my diet doctor notes who I have seen every month for 2 years and lost a grand total of 12 lbs in two years lol ya after I had the flu which thank god she documented . Also have to get proof of my gym memembership and my personal trainer notes that I had for one month . Notes from my denist about how years of threwing up is really start to destroy my teeth and notes from my obgyn about my prenancy diabeties and the other weight related issues and also blood work and see my primary care doctor. I also have my husbands insurance as a secondy insurance so maybe they might step up where my insurance won't . Sorry I feel like I am a pain with all the questions . I just went into the lap band without thinking or doing my homework . Which I regret so bad now ! I have been heavy for 20 years now all I what is to finally be free from this weight ! And tyi dye best of luck with your surgey !