Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting On Solids, Confusing To Anyone Else?

Ok, I am still on liquids for another week but I went to my fist dr appointment today. I saw the nutritionist and she explained how to start on pureed foods then soft foods. I am not sure how this is going to go. The thought of meat being in puree form makes me want to throw up and i'm supposed to eat protiens first then fruits and veggies then starches. How do I know when to switch? I know I am going to feel full fast so if I eat my protien that I can stand and I am full all the time is that ok? Any help would be appreciated I am nervous about all this and didn't want to be a pain in the nutritionists ass even though I know she wouldn't say anything.

For the puree stage I didn't do pureed Protein in the blender, the thought of it grossed me out too. I had Greek yogurt, no sugar added apple sauce, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, baby food in those little jars, etc...

It's tricky for sure. I just made sure everything was very soft and saucy if that makes sense. I made mashed potatoes and then added a can of white/dark canned chicken to a jar of chicken gravy and had that. I made cream of tuna with a basic white sauce and added a can of drained tuna and frozen peas, and had that in a little bowl. All Soups can be pureed, they have a balance of Protein and veggies. There is no easy way to separate your food at this point, don't go crazy trying to do that. In a few weeks you will do that much easier with solids. Just make sure protein is a main factor in your combinations. You can puree chili Beans and they taste just as good, and some people puree soft roast beef with roasted veggies. Refried beans with melted cheese and sour cream on top. Find a few things you like the taste of ok and rotate them.

When I have people ask me about when to switch over I say it is kind of like going to fast on a bike around a curve...you don't know you've gone too fast until you wiped out, so why don't you just take it slow, and make sure you get around it?

pureed meat sounds gross, but tuna and chicken are easy to puree, but mixing just doesn't cut it. The times I did not blend my tuna or chicken enough and it was ROUGH going down. I do suggest making sure it's moist and use a processor.

The best pureed food I had was I bought a rotisserie Chicken and I pureed it with a little bit of onion and celery and it was very good (I cut the celery so there was no long stringy pieces and it was mostly the middle part so it could be pureed well.

You have to start out small and your body needs to get used to one thing new at a time. Oh are there things that will go down nice and easy if you chew the heck out of it first, but mostly carb foods you aren't suppose to eat.

Going to soft foods are things you can cut with a fork. Steak and Ham and stuff are not on the list for sure.

Pre-op shake I craved Tuna & Turkey meat Balls.

I have hesitated moving from purees to soft food since Sunday and I think I am ready. I am making Turkey Meat Balls and I really hope they are all that I thought they would be, I never had them before.

Best of luck to you. I know how hard it is, I was on full liquids for 5 weeks.

eggs were my best friend - and I made chicken salad in the food processor, it seemed less disgusting as chicken salad than just pulverized meat. I focused more on the Protein and fluids, and still am - the advice to mix veggies in with the protein is good to know and I am going to try that. I do have a thing for summer nectarines so I have those a couple times a week as their own meal.

why were you on liquids for so long? Dr. preference? Thanks for all the advice, I think I may puree longer if my stomach is having a hard time. Sometimes just drinking hurts a bit when I swallow I can't imagine actually putting anything solid down there!

I lucked out. After full liquids for a month, my dr gave me a list that had a lot of regular foods on it. chicken and shrimp being on that list. Never had to put anything in a blender, thank god lol. And have had no problems with anything I've put into my mouth.

Not sure if you're a sushi fan but something I did was get sushimi pieces and finely chopped it - it looked like spicy tuna they put in the rolls but it was just the raw fish finally chopped and is really good. (kind of made me feel normal regarding eating too)

I also do egg salad, tuna fish salad, chicken salad, baked fish, boiled cabbage (cut very finely). I find cutting things into mush isnt as gross looking as pureeing it with a blender. (i agree on the blended meats, gross!)

Going to try some of the above ideas cause they sound yum!