Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll - Heavy Handed Moderators

Do you think it's necessary to ban members who break the LBT Rules?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think it's necessary to ban members who break the LBT Rules?

• It's ineffective and unnecessary to ban members
    • It's a necessary and effective evil
    • Let them fight it out without rules
    • Ban anyone who breaks the rules

Is it really neceassary to ban users for this fighting? I'm not in it but don't have a problem either a. Reading it.... or b. Ignoring it...

How many people here really feels it's necessary? or effective? I mean the fight goes on regardless and users can always either make up new names or if you do an IP ban they can spoof that. (It's not hard)

I've been a member of many message boards and a moderator of some. The best run are the ones that just let the crap happen and give up on the "stupid unnecessary, ineffective rules"

I don't mind them letting them have it out on the rants and raves thread, but I wish they would keep it off of the top of the board. I really don't care to know what is going on in their sick and twisted worlds. All I know is they would never treat each other like that in the real world. I'm speaking specifically of the "Put up or shut up" thread among others.

I come here to get advise, look at before and after pictures and get support. I'm starting to think that these things are no longer offered here and I'll need to go to a face-to-face support group.

honestly I don't think it is any of our business exactly how the board is run. We can report things, and let the mods know how we feel, but this is not going to change any rules. The rules are set, and the banning decisions are made by someone much higher than us. Alex. He could wake up tomorrow and decide its not worth the money any longer to host this place and shut it down. that is his right. fights may break out, and names may be called, but on a support group site when things get really ugly I think it is appropriate for the board owner to take actions that he sees fit to make that ugliness go away. If that means removing specific members, then that is his choice. no one knows how long they are going to be on this boar. It is a priviledge, and i don't think it is appreciated when those privileged enough to still be here turn around and second guess the actions and motivations and opinions of those that are extending said priviledge.

just my 2 cents. seems i have been leaving pennies all over this board lately. LOL back to weight loss *skips away*

I think it is ineffective to ban people as they just come back with a new screen name it seems. Other boards I'm on once you get banned your ISP or whatever it is called is banned. They know if you try to come back with a new user name and it is not allowed. I am suprised that people are allowed to come back here after their account has been suspended.

honestly I don't think it is any of our business exactly how the board is run. We can report things, and let the mods know how we feel, but this is not going to change any rules. The rules are set, and the banning decisions are made by someone much higher than us. Alex. He could wake up tomorrow and decide its not worth the money any longer to host this place and shut it down. that is his right. fights may break out, and names may be called, but on a support group site when things get really ugly I think it is appropriate for the board owner to take actions that he sees fit to make that ugliness go away. If that means removing specific members, then that is his choice. no one knows how long they are going to be on this boar. It is a priviledge, and i don't think it is appreciated when those privileged enough to still be here turn around and second guess the actions and motivations and opinions of those that are extending said priviledge.

just my 2 cents. seems i have been leaving pennies all over this board lately. LOL back to weight loss *skips away*

It is my business how it's run. I might not be able to change it but unless they want to ban me for questioning it then I can still ask the question???

I think it's ineffective to ban due to the ability to start a new user name. The next way to stop a banned memeber would be to block IP address and that's not super effective either.

And I certainly realize it's a privilage to post on a public board that someone else runs and pays for.... but that doesn't prevent me for questioning how it's run. If you think the "agruing" is so disruptive then why do you participate? I personally join in here "sometimes" because I enjoy it. When it's not longer enjoyable then I may or may not continue. If others are childish I can decide each and everytime If I myself want to also be childish!

Since I know how to ignore post I don't find "enjoyable" and because banning members seems ineffictive at preventing the fighting then I choice to question the moderators decision. I'm just curious to see what others feel about the banning issue....

as a completely impartial observer of the last few days. everyone should be banned that participated in childish, mud slinging, demeaning behavior. i don't know any of these women or men but they really, really need to get a life and worry about their health and not who can come up with a fancy retort on the board. it's very disheartening, counter productive, negative and a very poor example of what this board is for - this is coming from a newbie. i no longer ever want to see another post from any of those women involved.

I don't think it is anyone's business but the mods and Alex, unless you specifically give money and help to pay for the bandwidth. other than that, all we can do is tell how things effect us. if the mods and alex offer up a question as to what we think, then they are asking for our opinions, but I would concider myself totally out of line to tell them what rules need to be changed and that the boar is not run correctly.

I have spoken to several mods several times over the course of this year here. I have requeste posts be looked at for various reasons, users looked into for various reasons, but all along the rules that have already been set. I have never said "This is not fair, and you should change the rules because I don't think you are running things right." That is not my place.

It's your opinon that it's not my business....

If they don't want me to question the policies here... they can ban me also! It's their right as board owner, bandwidth payer and/or moderator!! But someone else could question that too!

I have owned boards, run boards, and modded on boards. currently and in the past. I guess I just hold a high respect for what they do out of the kindness of their hearts, and would hate show any sort of disrespect to them. I already hate that I was drawn into the battles an let myself get carried away on here, because i feel that was just as disrespectful.

Its obvious that some people will feel this way an some won't, but again...all this does is continue to stir up everything that the mods and alex are trying to put away.

I don't mind being disrespectful when questions need to be asked!

Banning won't stop the issue but it look like from the poll so far people think it works! hahahaha!

I believe Alex has stated in the past that if you have an issue with the moderators to speak directly to him.

I believe it takes more than one moderator ro approve a ban, and possibly it requires approval from Alex himself.

I'd recommend just PM'ing Alex if you think action taken was inappropriate.

If a restaurant served exquisite food, but there was a dumpster right next to the restaurant that caused a stench in the vicinity of the wonderful restaurant, it would scare many perspective diners away.

These uncontrolled rants are a stench.

I believe Alex has stated in the past that if you have an issue with the moderators to speak directly to him.

I believe it takes more than one moderator ro approve a ban, and possibly it requires approval from Alex himself.

I'd recommend just PM'ing Alex if you think action taken was inappropriate.

I don't want to ask Alex or any of the moderators.... I wanted a poll question for the Users.... That's the difference!

Personally I know that there is no way to keep someone from a board...no matter what. But I think that the attempt is good. It send s message. If you make it hard, there will be neough people that won't try to keep gaining access. they'll get the picture and move on with their lives. there are some that just won't, and that is the true necessary evil of the internet. But i applaud the attempt, and hope that it send enough messages, and at least weeds out the people who give up on trying. Eventually...it gets tiring. I can't imagine anyone having the time or energy to continually create new accounts from spoofed ip's just to keep coming back to make asses of themselves. So yes...I applaud the attempt at control. At least it shows the board mods an owner are trying to keep this a safe place for those trying to get support.

I think it is ineffective to ban people as they just come back with a new screen name it seems. Other boards I'm on once you get banned your ISP or whatever it is called is banned. They know if you try to come back with a new user name and it is not allowed. I am suprised that people are allowed to come back here after their account has been suspended.

Exactly what I'm saying.... except the bad news is that even if you ban an IP address the person can (and most likely will) come back since that doesn't really work either!