Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heat Tolerance - Question For Post-Sleevers

I am not morbidly obese yet (34 bmi) but I have an extreme intolerance to heat. Even if I'm not doing anything my face gets so red I look like I'm sunburned, usually ending up in a bad headache. Even worse if I am exerting myself. Usually takes several hours to cool down and loose the sunburned look. I've only developed this over the last 10 years.

Anyway.....has anybody seen any improvement with heat tolerance after surgery/weight loss? I've always assumed its because of my increasing weight, but after a day like today, I'm hoping this is one of the things that should resolve itself after surgery.

Yes. I used to get overheated, sweaty and my skin would get red and almost swell with Water. This only happened when I was at my high weight. Honestly, I can only recall being hot (to the point of discomfort) two or three times since surgery. I'm cold all the time, and it started immediately post op.

I live in Central Asia and the climate is hot. Normally, anyway! Right now the US is hotter for some reason. But in any case, from May to August temps range from the eighties to high nineties or higher. Once upon a time this would have made me red and sweaty. Now it feels good - it warms my bones and makes me feel wonderful. I often don't even realize how hot it is outside until I lay eyes on a thermometer.

So for me, at least, this has improved greatly post op.

~Cheri

Oh, I wanted to add a question! Do you sweat?

Sounds crazy, but my four year old daughter does not sweat anywhere except her scalp. When she gets overheated, she turns bright red and swells up. She gets a sunburned look after just a short time in high temperatures. If she stays in the heat too long, she will faint. If this sounds like you, it probably isn't something surgery will help. You should see a doctor if this is the case. My daughter has what is called anhidrosis and it's very serious if we don't watch her. She will likely never play outdoor sports in the spring/summer and already has an aversion to playing outside much because it makes her so uncomfortable.

Just thought I'd add that experience in for you to consider.

I hope this helps,

~Cheri

First, i see you are a military spouse. Thank you BOTH for serving. My daughter is in the Army but is getting a medical discharge due to injury (stateside).

yes i do sweat. not to the point that my back is saturated or anything but usually my scalp soaks my hair (very thick and long hair) and anywhere there are rolls, alot more places than before. lol

i am going to Mexico, self pay, once i choose a doctor. i was trying to labor day timeframe so i could take one less day off of work but i'm getting so fed-up, and i have no serious waiting restrictions except for passport, that i'm thinking about just bitting the bullet (once I make up my mind about a doctor).

You daughter may like swimming. my son is extremely pale (Irish skin lol) so he didn't like heat much. he ended up loving snowboarding and swimming. don't have to worry about needing to sweat in summer heat for those. swimming is nice, especially in the summer, because it obviously keeps you cooler and there are usually summer swimming programs (at least here).

Before surgery I was always hot. My face did get red but I really didn't sweat that much. Since surgery, I pretty much always cold. I don't realize how hot it is unless I see a therometer either. I do get hot at night so I have to take the blanket off for a few moments and then I get cold and cover up. I like it though. I use to be a pain in the a&& due to being too hot and wanting to turn on the air conditioner. Now, I haven't had any problems. :)

Dorrie -- you had similar stats to my own so that gives me some hope. you look great!. may i ask how quickly the weight came off? I so want to loose 20 lbs quickly just to breath again. that's what i've put on in the last 18 months and i can't stand it. i can deal with the rest coming off a little slowly.

i can relate to the hot/cold. my husband is normal weight. he sleeps on one side of the bed with a heating blanket while i'm on the other with a fan. this is year round! i'm hoping once i loose some weight i can go back to spooning like the honeymoon days. i miss that.

started looking up Anhidrosis. seems you can sweat just some areas don't sweat in some people. my hair - soaked nothing really upper body except where rolls meet. bathing suit lower body - soaked.

i have a physical next week prior to making my journey to mexcio. want to be sure all is well before scheduling my trip. i will talk to him about this but from what i can gather theres nothing they can do except hydrate, stay indoors in ac, etc. maybe once my body has less to cool and i'm drinking Water instead of sodas my body will heal itself? hoping....

I had become so heat intolerant that I could get the sweats even on a chilly damp day, if I was doing any kind of activity. Sweat would pour from my scalp like a Water hose. So awfully embarrassing. Starting a couple weeks after surgery, it just disappeared. Now I only sweat when working out at the gym. It has changed my life. I'm the first person at the pool, in a boat, anything outdoors. Even detailed my car for four hours in 95 degree heat the other day with only minor sweating.

Sent from my iPad using VST

great i'll cross my fingers. looking at earlier surgery dates now. at this point i don't care if i miss a couple of weeks of pool/swimming weather. getting impatient.

When I told my trainer that I sweat more since gaining weight, and I asked him if some of it would go away when I lost weight. He told me something that I thought was cute - I was better insulated than most people, of course, I would sweat more. This gave me hope that I would sweat less as I lost the insulation.

When I told my trainer that I sweat more since gaining weight, and I asked him if some of it would go away when I lost weight. He told me something that I thought was cute - I was better insulated than most people, of course, I would sweat more. This gave me hope that I would sweat less as I lost the insulation.

I know this is true. people ask how i can stand the cold with a short-sleeved shirt in the winter. I would "jokingly" say its like a walrus, i got the insulation. The sweating doesn't bother me, maybe because it's not bad since its not my upper body. its the red face and extreme headache and getting sick that bother me. i will deal with the sweat if i can enjoy being outside again.